Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Musings from my sun lounger

(108 Posts)
MrsGrindah Mon 28-May-18 09:33:40

..currently on holiday and enjoying doing a lot of people watching and maybe a little “ judging”. Things I’m realising about people on holiday are:

Nobody likes it when you go sit on the empty sun lounger next to them.

It doesn’t last very long but there is a brief moment in time when a toddler will let you dress them in the most ridiculous outfit and be blissfully unaware that you have done so . They are so enchanted by the joys of pouring water from the swimming pool into a cup that they would love you forever.

There is a secret code within the sisterhood that I have yet to crack but the rule is that all women must have better holiday hair than me. Even those that have just scraped their hair back look better than the dandelion swimming cap I appear to be sporting

God.. you people can SLEEP! How do you lie by the pool for hours at a time without even a book?! I’m jealous of those that can just lie there

I don’t like flip flops on men. There I said it.

The lithe and golden of limb. You know who you are. You have every right to enjoy your fit and carefully looked after bodies. And you are probably lovely people. But just go sit somewhere else please . Why do you think I’m lying here wrapped in a beach towel with my winter coat on?!

There’s a woman at breakfast who every morning brings her husband a plate of watermelon and every morning he says no thanks. Then they both seem to seethe with resentment. I’m interested in finding out how that one pans out.

Blisters. I will say no more other than they are a faithful holiday companion.

Anyone else on holiday and care to join in?

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 28-May-18 09:35:26

Going to Scotland on Friday and doubtful sun /heat will figure in MY musings!!

MrsGrindah Mon 28-May-18 09:38:09

Observations from a tea room will do!

MozzchopsThirty Mon 28-May-18 09:38:37

🤣🤣
I'm in Hong Kong my musings are:

I don't know how people live and work in this heat

Expats here are mostly stuck up their own ass

My kids are the most noisy children to have ever existed

Air con is the best invention EVER!!!!

I'm with you on the hair - mine is permanently sweaty and stuck to my neck, I am not glamorous in the sun

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 28-May-18 09:39:57

Thunderstorms forecast for the week end so likely my hair will also be stuck to my neck.
With rain!!

PJBanana Mon 28-May-18 09:51:12

I am so jealous of people who can handle heat/sunshine. I look like a sweaty, frizzy, sunburnt, insect-bitten mess after a few days on holiday.

I was in HK a few weeks ago Mozz. We had some very grey and stormy weather, but it was STILL so warm and humid. I always look at the locals and think HOW can you wear jeans/sweaters/boots?!

Dowser Mon 28-May-18 09:55:21

On holiday in N Yorks

We have become elderly
We really do enjoy peace and quiet
Places I’d previously marked off as boring.ie ripon are suddenly quaint and charming
How can children play for hours in the river...yes it’s red hot but they must be freezing by now?
How clean is that river?

metalmum15 Mon 28-May-18 10:24:35

I'm not on holiday unfortunately, but enjoying this thread from the comfort of my sofa with a coffee. Can't stop laughing at the watermelon at breakfast bit. You need to keep your eyes peeled for them, to see whether it's a regular occurrence during the day too.

MorrisZapp Mon 28-May-18 10:26:04

I'm not on hol but we always go to same place in Majorca every year and I muse as follows:

Anyone can wear a bikini, if it's good quality and structured.

Husbands are often an embarrassment, but more commonly an irrelevance.

A large pastry, a cafe con leche, a packet of fruity chews and a pint of San Miguel can be easily worked off by forty minutes of 'aqua aerobics', taught by a seventeen year old Dutch boy who speaks better English than your precious first born.

There are no circumstances in which taking more than one under three year old to a hot country will end up in the positive column.

The inflatable flamingo from Primark is this year's flotation statement.

English language magazines sold in Spar are uniformly appalling. Stockpile decent ones at home and bring with.

Cold beer is more refreshing than water. Served in a challis style glass, it's more sophisticated than prosecco.

Kids fucking love ping pong.

Dads really want to win at pool.

No human with celtic colouring will have good hair on holiday. Give it up. A lick of product, a hairband and just leave it wet.

'sleeps six' refers to ants.

Chicken and chips is always the tastiest thing on the menu. Attempts to foray into interesting territory will backfire.

That cafe con leche though.

MrsGrindah Mon 28-May-18 14:51:12

YY to pool inflatables! There’s something unnerving about a full grown adult wafting by on a gigantic pink lollipop!

MrsGrindah Mon 28-May-18 14:59:01

Other musings:

There’s still a generation of Brits who dress up to the nines for dinner even in the pool bar. It’s nice. Makes me long for Judith Chalmers

At lunchtime , the more mature couple ..he will have a half maybe a pint of draught beer but she will stick to a soft drink. It’s the other way round for us!

Without fail, I will say “ good morning” when it should be good night or good afternoon etc. I do try but my brain is useless at forrin. People always smile warmly though but I’m sure they are thinking I must be harmless otherwise they wouldn’t give me a passport

Onesmallstepforaman Mon 28-May-18 15:21:57

Perhaps Mrs grinder, you are our latest export? Home thoughts from abroad.

Onesmallstepforaman Mon 28-May-18 15:22:34

Grindah😬

Justmuddlingalong Mon 28-May-18 15:27:59

If we randomly start chatting to another couple at the bar one night, I don't want to spend every waking hour in their company. No meeting for drinks, saving sunbeds for each other, or suggesting where we all go for dinner. I enjoy other people's company in very small doses. Very small.

PlausibleSuit Mon 28-May-18 15:30:59

I was in a nice - perhaps even naice - hotel in Scotland recently.

There were a surprising number of couples who seem to genuinely loathe each other. At dinner, we were sat near a couple who said barely one word to each other for almost two hours. At the end, she looked at him and spat, 'Add it to the room. I'm going to bed.'

It wasn't an invitation.

I was also in Mykonos recently but observations from that are probably more suitable for another forum. blush

MrsGrindah Mon 28-May-18 15:33:29

Sigh.. okay.. I’m willing to spend the rest of my days lounging by pools just give give live updates to you lot

We moved to a different side of the pool today....well THAT set the cat amongst the pigeons!

MrsGrindah Mon 28-May-18 16:10:34

...there’s a woman over there wearing that blouse from Boden that I nearly ordered for this holiday. Looks really nice but thank god I didn’t otherwise that could have been embarrassing....

Flaminglingos Mon 28-May-18 16:12:56

Musings from my sun lounger sounds like a title for a weekly article in a glossy mag or a chick flick novel. Have you signed your book deal yet op?!

tectonicplates Mon 28-May-18 16:14:05

There’s a woman at breakfast who every morning brings her husband a plate of watermelon and every morning he says no thanks. Then they both seem to seethe with resentment.

This is most fascinating!

fairgame84 Mon 28-May-18 16:17:10

Love this thread!
72 days til I can people watch in Spain. Currently sat in my enclosed garden in my very quiet street where nothing happens.

SolarSearcher Mon 28-May-18 16:55:28

If we randomly start chatting to another couple at the bar one night, I don't want to spend every waking hour in their company. No meeting for drinks, saving sunbeds for each other, or suggesting where we all go for dinner. I enjoy other people's company in very small doses. Very small

I’m with you on that @Justmuddling.

NearWildHeaven Mon 28-May-18 17:02:28

Does no one else want to know what forum you need to go on to hear the Mykonos chat?

It can't be just me??

NearWildHeaven Mon 28-May-18 17:03:15

Loving your observations Grindah and making notes for this year's holidays grin

SolarSearcher Mon 28-May-18 17:04:49

Six weeks to our holiday, can’t wait, and will definitely be people watching.
The watermelon 🍉 one has made me laugh.

Charley50 Mon 28-May-18 17:09:20

Ooh I'm on holiday in 4 weeks; I'll join in then.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: