Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please hold my hand- 5 weeks pregnant and in pain

(26 Posts)
Smizzlediz Mon 28-May-18 06:30:39

Hello, I’m 5 weeks pregnant from ivf and in a complete state. Please excuse the long story, I just hope someone will talk to me until I can go to the early pregnancy unit (epu) at 8. This is what’s going on...

On Thursday, I had some red bleeding and mild cramping. Went for a blood test at the fertility clinic and hormone level has increased as it should, bleeding started to die off and it’s probably just one of those things.

On Saturday I started bleeding again, with some big clots and lots of blood leaking when I go to the loo, though not much filling a pad. Spoke to the clinic who said try and find an EPU. There is one near me but I have to get a referral from A&E. Got seen by a gynae doctor in A&E, lots of blood but still only mild cramping. He says bleeding can be normal, come for a scan in the morning.

Sunday morning I had a scan, baby is there and in the right place but it’s too early for a heartbeat. They also said try not to panic about bleeding and come back in 10 days.

By 10pm last night I had severe pain, I thought I must be miscarrying but if anything the bleeding was less than yesterday but still red. The pain was awful- what I imagine labour to be like- and making me sick. I don’t know if this is what early miscarriage is like but after calling 111 I ended up back in A&E, who gave me codine, which seemed to take the edge off or at least distract me by making me feel really sick, and then said go home and try to rest.

I took more codeine at home at 3am but it seems to be barely touching the pain now, I slept a little but it kept waking me up.

I will go back to hospital to get checked again but has anyone ever had anything similar in early pregnancy or when miscarrying?

So far all the healthcare professionals I’ve spoken to have said bleeding can be normal and not to worry, but is this pain normal? I perhaps foolishly thought a miscarriage at 5 weeks would be similar to a very heavy period but this seems leagues away.

Thank you if you’ve read this far. I’m scared I seem like I’m being a massive wimp but it hurts such a lot. I’m also trying to hold onto hope that this little one has still got a chance but that seems like a miracle at the moment.

Minniemountain Mon 28-May-18 06:34:25

Mine was a hidden miscarriage, so I have no idea what your pain means but handholding flowers

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 28-May-18 06:36:11

here's my hand.

nervousseacreature Mon 28-May-18 06:39:04

Handholding 💐

Smizzlediz Mon 28-May-18 06:46:08

Thank you, and I’m so sorry for your loss Minnie flowers

I had hoped things might become more straightforward after the positive pregnancy test but it seems like it’s not to be...

AvoidingDM Mon 28-May-18 07:32:33

Have you tried a HPT?
To see if the hormones are still there / rising.

My early MCs were clotty and like a heavy period. And they are incredibly cruel when you've been through infertility.
But early pregnancy can be crampy as things start to stretch. Fingers crossed you have a sticky bean.

seven201 Mon 28-May-18 07:57:52

If I'm honest if it were me with those symptoms I'd think it was over but I'm no medical professional. You just have to wait and see which is just so horrible. I really hope it's good news.

I think miscarriages can be very different for different people. Mine felt like a period and was very messy/clotty.

With my dd I thought I was having a miscarriage as I had some really sharp horrible pains, but only slight bleeding. Everything was fine but I was utterly convinced it was a mc.

LifeBeginsAtGin Mon 28-May-18 09:49:35

When I miscarried the blood was a brownish colour, not bright red fresh coloured.

I know nothing about ivf, but how many embryos were implanted - could you also be having an ectopic pregnancy too?

When I miscarried the blood was a brownish colour, not bright red fresh coloured.

I know nothing about ivf, but how many embryos were implanted - could you also be having an ectopic pregnancy too?

Smizzlediz Mon 28-May-18 10:25:08

Well I think it’s over, I passed some very big clots earlier and the pain has gone down to bad period level cramping. I have a scan tomorrow to confirm.

Thank you for being here, sharing it really did help this morning. This journey is pretty horrible but hopefully it will be ok in the end. I’m so sorry to everyone who has had miscarriages flowers

Badumdumdum Mon 28-May-18 10:28:00

I'm so sorry to read this. Sending love, flowers an cake.

Bigkingdom Mon 28-May-18 11:04:33

So sorr you are going through this.

With my last mc i was meant to be 8 weeks but the baby had stopped growing at 5-6 weeks and had a weak heartbeat. The bleeding varied from brown to red and i literally had to wait for the heartbeat to stop before i would completely miscarry. When it finally happened a week later the pain was unbareable, they felt like strong contractions and each time they picked up intensity i would then lose a large amount of clots and then it would die down until the next time. This went on for a further few days. Was horrendous and traumatic so you have my full sympathy. flowers

AvoidingDM Mon 28-May-18 20:09:24

So sorry early losses are horrible. Go easy on yourselves. flowers

CormoranStrike Mon 28-May-18 20:15:42

Don’t lose hope yet.

Pregnancy one I had bleeding, mild but scary, baby survived.

I had a miscarriage next time and never lost much more than a little blood, though did have contractions and the urge to push.

Next pregnancy I had horrific blood clots and heavy, heavy bleeding for about two weeks.
DD is now 21 years old, so it could still be a happy ending. X

goose1964 Mon 28-May-18 20:26:25

I bled on and off for weeks with DS2 and DD had bleeding,some of it bad whilst being pregnant with her DS3 .I really hope it's like that for you 2

allyouneedis Tue 29-May-18 18:07:06

I bled on and off through my second pregnancy, had a heavy bleed at 11 weeks and miscarried one twin. Other one is a healthy 13 year old. Hoping it all turns out ok for you x

tinatsarina Tue 29-May-18 18:55:07

I hope it works out for you. Like others have said some bleeding can be normal but I'm sure the wait is just horrible for you.

toolazytothinkofausername Wed 30-May-18 12:42:25

Hope you are feeling OK Smizzlediz

ChocolatePeacock Wed 30-May-18 12:53:20

thanks

Smizzlediz Fri 08-Jun-18 19:45:59

Ahh thank you, I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to come back.

Very sadly it was a miscarriage. I know they are really common so I’m trying not to despair that it will never happen for us, but it’s hard at times 😬

I’m now just waiting for my cycle to get back to normal so we can try again.

Sorry to everyone else who has been through this flowers it’s bloody horrible!

ALemonyPea Fri 08-Jun-18 19:51:59

So sorry to read is Op. positive vibes for your next round of IVF.

Smizzlediz Fri 08-Jun-18 22:37:07

Thank you, it’s amazing how comforting messages from strangers can be! Fingers crossed the ivf works out in the end 🤞🏼

Plentyofshoes Fri 08-Jun-18 23:09:32

It is a horrible thing you go through, but please try and stay positive and look after yourself.

Starlighter Fri 08-Jun-18 23:15:33

Oh no, I’m so sorry OP. flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: