Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What did you buy your husband for his 40th birthday?

(35 Posts)
SlinkyB Sun 27-May-18 23:11:59

Looking for inspiration! We have two young children, limited childcare and a tight budget (say circa £200) so long weekends away somewhere romantic/abroad are out.

He likes golf, football (tho took him to Anfield pre-DC), music, am-drams, cider/beer...his family smile

Fluffyears Mon 28-May-18 00:43:16

What about national trust membership so you can all use it together?

SheSparkles Mon 28-May-18 00:45:03

It was a long time ago 😂 but I’m pretty sure I got him a watch-you could get a pretty decent watch within your budget

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 28-May-18 00:49:52

A beautiful leather watch and cuff link box and some special cuff links. He can finally put all his things in one place. Not very original but he absolutely loved them.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 28-May-18 00:50:10

Ooh x post!

KeepServingTheDrinks Mon 28-May-18 00:51:11

I got him a fossil. He's LOADS older than me, but the fossil was even older!

yorkshireyummymummy Mon 28-May-18 00:52:27

I got my hubby his fave famous persons autograph and had it framed and mounted with pictures of dead ( as in not alive) famous person.
He loves it and I have since added to his ‘ collection’.

If anybody reads this and is interested in getting any autographs please PM me and I will pass on the name /website of my reputable dealer. You have to be REALLY careful buying autographs as there are many many fakes out there.

SlinkyB Mon 28-May-18 08:55:17

Thanks for the ideas so far!

We are already National Trust members smile
He is gadget twat and has multiple watches (a Sony smart watch, a Garmin for when he's into running, and a "posh" watch I bought him a few years ago).
I am banned from buying any tech!

He doesn't wear shirts with cufflinks so they/a box to put them in is out.

Not sure about a fossil? Think the 4yo would nab it haha! We are off to the south coast soon so will keep an eye out for ideas there.

He doesn't really have a favourite person he would appreciate a framed photo and autograph from I don't think?? Again, will keep thinking smile

Aprilmightbemynewname Mon 28-May-18 08:56:29

Dh isn't there yet!! grin
Me- unfortunately passed it a good while back!!

Cric Mon 28-May-18 09:00:05

Does he support any other football teams? I got my husband tickets to the football with the meal and bits before (the name of the tickets has left my head!!!!). We got to meat players and he was in the programme. Depending on the team that is in your budget (we went to see Leeds).

Cric Mon 28-May-18 09:00:41

Meet the players!

AppleKatie Mon 28-May-18 09:03:49

No idea OP but I’m currently having the same issue...

Shantotto Mon 28-May-18 09:09:35

My DP insists he doesn't want anything. Ever. All birthdays, every Christmas. And he genuinely doesn't! It's really annoying. In the end I got him a big box and filled it with 40 chocolate bars because he loves chocolate. I bought some on offer so it didn't work out wet expensive. It was a mix of big bars of green and blacks, Freddos, mars bars, Lindt bunnies etc. Was fun putting together!

I've been dropping hints that next year I want a box of 40 packets of the Co-Ops fancy salt and vinegar crisps.

Slippery Mon 28-May-18 09:16:48

I bought my DH an original painting, in a frame for about £100, although that was a few years ago. Maybe you could get him something like a film cell from his favourite film or a cartoon drawing?

For my 40th, DH got the single from the day I was born and had it framed with the words beside it and "slippery and song, 23rd March 1966" which was lovely.

ThomasShelbysBunnet Mon 28-May-18 09:20:21

I bought my dh a few bits, a good leather belt, a shirt, a cake and a Makita radio that he'll use at work but I know he'd never spend £150 on.

TimeToDash Mon 28-May-18 09:21:28

How about a hot air balloon flight and a nice pub lunch?

Cistersaredoingitforthemselves Mon 28-May-18 09:25:10

We had sex for the first time on his 40th. We had met a few months before and we went out for a meal and then back to mine for a coffee....wink

DH then went out the next evening wth his mates ( one became his best man) and according to BMs speech DH was all in a daze that night and announced he was going to marry me!

He also said it was 'the best fucking birthday ever'

Like to point out I am not some sex goddess with special fuck powers - boring mother of two and a bit fat.

cliffdiver Mon 28-May-18 09:25:19

For DH's 40th next year I'm paying for him to jump out of an airplane.

SlinkyB Mon 28-May-18 09:51:51

Shantotto Mine is the same! Never wants anything hmm Always says "don't go mad!" and would genuinely be happy for me to just buy him a couple of nice bottles of cider and a bottle of aftershave.

Ooh, am loving some of these ideas! I've always wanted to do a ride in a hot air balloon (I've done a sky dive) so this would be mutually beneficial smile He could do with a decent leather belt so that is going on the list.

Will look into what song was No1 on the day he was born as like the idea of something in a frame he can hang somewhere.

Cistersaredoingitforthemselves love your story!! Brilliant. Perhaps I should write out an IOU for a decent shag grin

cliffdiver surely paying for him to dive off a cliff would be more apt than a plane? Er, wait, that doesn't sound right haha!

Tbf a friend of ours recently turned 40 and has a voucher for that incredible zip wire place over a quarry in Wales. Perhaps I should get him one too and we could all make a weekend of it smile

DayKay Mon 28-May-18 09:56:58

I bought dh a flying lesson on the day of his 40th. I didn’t tell him but just told him to get ready and drove him to the little airport.
Then we had lunch out.

Jdabbers Mon 28-May-18 09:59:15

I brought a camera and the newspaper from the day he was born. It was in a leather box etc..

WinkysTeatowel Mon 28-May-18 10:15:55

Watch box?

BrieAndChilli Mon 28-May-18 10:19:46

I live near the zip wire place and they have little wooden cabins that you can stay in.

BagelDog Mon 28-May-18 10:25:51

Mine got a Lego starwars AT-AT and snowspeeder.... but that wouldn’t work for everyone! Also some very special gin, and photographs of him with our boys.

Sevendown Mon 28-May-18 10:28:51

Fancy gin and fancy tonic.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: