Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why am I so tired?

(35 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Sun 27-May-18 22:59:14

There are some obvious reasons, such as the toddler who comes into us every night without fail. But the last few weeks have been particularly bad. I go upstairs to put children to bed and then flake out in my bed until my bed time.

I'm also finding that sitting on the floor/grass when at the park etc is making me ache everywhere and feeling like I'm seizing up - what's that all about??

I've been to the gp and had blood tests (waiting for results) but am willing to bet they find nothing untoward as usual.

Any advice or thoughts while I wait for my results to come back?

DianaT1969 Sun 27-May-18 23:01:17

Vitamin D deficiency?
It's more common during and after pregnancy.

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 27-May-18 23:03:56

Hmm - could be. I had that last year. Although it's been very sunny recently and I've been out in it as much as possible - would that have helped my vit d levels?

whymewhyme Sun 27-May-18 23:04:23

I felt exactly the same as you! Had a blood test, I was deficient in vit d and iron was very low, on tablets for both I now feel like I'm back to my old self!

gingerbreadbiscuits Sun 27-May-18 23:05:02

Pregnant?

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 27-May-18 23:06:09

definitely not pregnant - thankfully!

Vit D is looking like a big possibility

PaleBlue Sun 27-May-18 23:09:27

I was feeling exhausted for a couple of weeks, kept thinking I had a virus or was anemic. It was strange. I have been feeling ok for the past few days so it seems to have passed. I take an iron supplement a few times a week as think my iron level will be quite low.

Singlenotsingle Sun 27-May-18 23:09:31

Polymyalgia? When I had it first diagnosed I was falling asleep a lot in the afternoons, and generally achey especially early mornings and in the evenings. And it's hard to get up after sitting on the floor. (You're probably too young though).

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 27-May-18 23:18:57

Polymyalgia sounds awful sad. I don't think I have that, especially as weight loss is a symptom. I've definitely put on weight in the last couple of months, which probably isn't helping.

HateSummer Sun 27-May-18 23:24:14

I swear by Floradix these days. I go through bouts of feeling tired and lethargic (I have 3 kids and work lates). I take Floradix for a few days and I feel alive again. Pains disappear and when I wake up in the morning I feel awake and not half dead!

You could be anaemic, I have had vitamin d deficiency too, and that gave me achy bones, headaches and lethargy too.

BeeFarseer Sun 27-May-18 23:24:24

Another vote for low vitamin d. Those are some of my symptoms when my levels get low. It's almost impossible to get them back to a decent level without supplements, once you're deficient, so while being in the sun is great, it's not going to bring your levels up fast enough. You'll likely need a daily supplement for life, given that you've been deficient before.

QuestionableMouse Sun 27-May-18 23:26:10

Low iron and vit d is my guess. Do your shoulders hurt? That was my big vit D flag.

Freetodowhatiwant Sun 27-May-18 23:30:21

I’ve had this and initially thought it was my thyroid, I’ve dealt with thyroid disease for 20 years and know that my levels sometimes fluctuate and I need to adjust my mess. This happened a few months ago. So because I’ve recently felt pretty tired and achy and weird - terrible memory - I thought it might be that again. Turns out I’m anaemic. I have iron tablets but have only been on them a week so still feeling a bit tired. I hope they will make the difference. I was starting to really worry as I was struggling with memory and concentration and also was getting wierd tingling in my limbs.

In incidentally if they tell you your thyroid levels are ‘normal’ ask for the actual figures and come back and tell us what they are. Sometimes people can be low on thyroid hormones but not acknowledged as such depending on what levels of normal the lab/doctor is using.

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 27-May-18 23:38:10

Floradix sounds promising! I wondered about thyroid, apparently the levels (TSH) spiked a few years ago (7-ish) but have been normal since. Am I right in thinking that the cut off for treatment is 4, but other places it's 2.5?

I tend to get pain in my hips and lower back mostly (also very stiff in the mornings, no matter where I sleep) - I feel like I'm in my 80s, not early 40s!

Labradoodliedoodoo Sun 27-May-18 23:40:13

B12

Zoflorabore Sun 27-May-18 23:40:54

Sounds like me op and I have fibromyalgia.

barcodescanner Sun 27-May-18 23:41:29

Agree with vit d as well. If you have a blood test, get your level. Nhs will say all is normal at around 50 but 125 is optimal.

butterfly86 Sun 27-May-18 23:44:10

I'd say vitamin d or b12 deficiency, the soles of my feet would hurt from just walking and a lot of hip and back pain. And the tiredness, oh my it's like nothing else. I feel for you op hope you get sorted soon.

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 27-May-18 23:47:27

I was worried about fibromyalgia- I'm hoping that it's not this tbh, is there any known treatment yet?

I've just looked on my bloods forms and annoyingly it doesn't mention vit d, I guess it won't be automatically be included with anything else?

MyRelationshipIsWeird Mon 28-May-18 00:19:47

Whatever tests they do, ask for the actual numbers and reference ranges.

I had B12 tested recently, it came back ‘normal’ but when I asked for the figures it was 150 in a normal range of 125-900. Now in my experience, when it is that low and I feel all the symptoms of deficiency, being treated for it has made a huge difference, but they just blindly follow the numbers and said if I want to take supplements at home rather than the injections I’ve had before, then go ahead. So I’m now taking high dose tablets, with no idea when I get to the right level instead of having it treated to an optimum level under supervision. Same with vit D and thyroid meds - as long as it’s in -the vast- range, it’s considered ok, regardless of what YOUR normal would usually be.

Get the numbers and come back on here - plenty of experienced patients will help you with next steps.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Mon 28-May-18 00:22:24

Am I right in thinking that the cut off for treatment is 4, but other places it's 2.5. With TSH many people have To wait for it to go over 10 before being given meds. It’s criminal really, people - mainly women - being left in pain, exhausted and with a multitude of awful symptoms, being kept dangling, getting worse and worse before being allowed treatment - often after waiting months or years to even be tested.

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 28-May-18 00:33:15

Looking at my forms I've been tested for:
Full blood count
Thyroid
Iron
Bone (?)
Cholesterol
Crp (infection markers)
Hepatic

So if they come back clear it sounds like it might be worth requesting vit d/b tests?

lovemyboys25 Mon 28-May-18 08:56:24

Oh this sounds like me

I'm only in my 30s and feel tired a lot but get very stuff even after sitting at work
Shoulders is a constant tension area for me too

Is vit D part of a normal blood test?

barcodescanner Mon 28-May-18 09:36:21

Lovemyboys not usually, you'd need to ask for it. Vit b12 deficiency causes similar symptoms as well

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 28-May-18 09:38:47

Is vitamin b12 deficiency connected to not eating meat? I've been veggie for ~1 year...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: