Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Contact lenses for severe astigmatism

(34 Posts)
satsumasunrise Sun 27-May-18 20:43:30

I have severe astigmatism, cylinder -3.00 and would like to try contact lenses instead of glasses for a change.

I've looked online but it seems most lenses don't go up to -3.00 so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some that would be suitable.

BasiliskStare Sun 27-May-18 20:53:26

I have astigmatism - plus " lazy eye " plus other more normal ( early long sightedness ) - I cannot have contact lenses because the prescription between one eye and the other is too disparate. Not saying yours is - my problem was the difference between one eye and the other. I suspect just going to an optician is the right answer & they can prescribe and deliver contact lenses. I think when you have more serious eye things , Boots or online may not be the answer. ( sorry if you have done this already )

Domesticslattern Sun 27-May-18 21:02:13

I have astigmatism and get on very badly with contact lenses tbh.
You need to pop along to your opticians instead of looking online- might need to trial some before committing.

MizCracker Sun 27-May-18 21:04:03

My astigmatism is the same. 3.00 and 3.25 I think. Also, the degree of rotation required by each eye is really different. Anyway, I'm no use, as a lifelong glasses wearer I actually hate not wearing glasses. My face looks wrong. Even my children don't like it grin

Mumthedogsbeensick Sun 27-May-18 21:06:52

You really need to see your optician to trial some lenses. There's not just the sphere and the cylinder to consider but the axis too.

satsumasunrise Sun 27-May-18 21:08:16

I had a trial a couple of years ago but the lenses kept going blurry so I didn't carry on. I do like my glasses, it would just be nice to have options.

I'll make another appointment as there might be more effective lenses available now.

ChibiTotoro Sun 27-May-18 21:09:04

I use Acuvue Oasys. You should be able to get a free trial from opticians like Boots.

BasiliskStare Sun 27-May-18 21:12:39

Ha ha Miz & Domestic - I just wear glasses now - well to be honest I have no choice but they are now just part of my face. Had 5% sight in one eye when I was born - all sorted with glasses , it's regressed a bit - but then the astigmatism . I love a lovely pair of glasses although there are times when I wish I could have contact lenses. Unfortunately Optician has told me with my prescription , I just can't.

Also I could never do those coloured dotty things when you were supposed to look at them and see a dinosaur coming out of the picture or something. Apparently if you have an astigmatism you will never ever see that as long as you look. ( well there's hours of my life I will never get back grin )

suckonthatmaureen Sun 27-May-18 21:16:43

I've got astigmatism around a -2.75 and I'm also short sighted with a -6.00 prescription. I've worn monthly and daily disposables for nearly 20 years now with no problem. The technology updates constantly so there should be some out there for you. Speak to your optician.

Murane Sun 27-May-18 21:17:25

My DH has severe astigmatism and can't get contact lenses that are strong enough. He just buys the strongest he can get and puts up with only having 90% proper vision. Not suitable for driving etc but ok for the odd night out.

BubblesBubblesBubbles Sun 27-May-18 21:19:21

I’m -7 and -7.25 in my eyes with a 160 axis in one eye (I think that’s the astigmatism) I had to try 6 types of contact lens before a found a pair which were comfy to wear.

There are a fair few out there, it’s just trial and error to which ones are a good fit, this is where a good Optitions’s helps.

Jasperoonicle Sun 27-May-18 21:28:11

Hi. I have a 3.50 in one eye with an astigmatism so it can be done. I am in Ireland so I am definitely sure you can get yours in the UK. I use accuvue for astigmatism and dry eye and they are quite pricey but I only use them for occasions so a months supply for 60 euro can last me 4 months. I get them in a franchise company here called Specsavers - not sure if you have it there? I cannot seem to get the lenses online though.

satsumasunrise Sun 27-May-18 21:29:15

Which opticians do you use Bubbles?

Jasperoonicle Sun 27-May-18 21:29:58

That should say -3.50 and the other eye is -2.75.

BubblesBubblesBubbles Sun 27-May-18 21:32:47

In independent one in Wiltshire which my sister in law works at they have been great in finding me the right contact lens and fixed the fudge up a chain made of my glasses.

iMatter Sun 27-May-18 21:33:45

My eyes are a complete mess.

Astigmatism, myopia, the lot.

Gas permeable lenses and an independent optician are your friends.

Don't go near soft lenses.

Childrenofthesun Sun 27-May-18 21:34:43

I am short-sighted with an astigmatism, although I don't think it's that severe as it was only diagnosed a few years ago after I'd been wearing glasses for years. I have a - 4.75 prescription in one of my eyes, the other is lower. I have to have the Toric contact lenses (I get from Specsavers). They're dailies and I only wear them a few times a month but get on well with them.

ilovespinach Sun 27-May-18 21:38:31

I have -5,5 and axis 180 in both eyes and have been wearing toric lenses for 14 years now with no problems.

suze28 Sun 27-May-18 21:41:29

This is my prescription and I have monovision Tonic has permeable contact lenses. It's the only way for me to see near and distance.

suze28 Sun 27-May-18 21:41:57

Clearly I meant toric gas permeable

Scotinoz Sun 27-May-18 21:42:24

I'm short sighted with astigmatism, and have worn soft lenses for 25 years. My vision is corrected to 20/20 and I've no problems. Love lenses 😀

i periodically have to faff trialling differently lenses to find ones that suit, but there's plenty to choose from. I think I'm currently using PureVision lenses.

llangennith Sun 27-May-18 21:54:04

Aren’t Toric lenses specifically for astigmatism?

Mammyloveswine Sun 27-May-18 21:55:04

I have astigmatism in both eyes, one is -2.75 axis 180 and the other-3.25 axis 180.

I've worn contacts for 15 years now! Monthly disposables with peroxide solution . I pay around 22 pound a month.

Hihellohi Sun 27-May-18 22:00:22

I have -7 and -6 in left and right respectively. I get soft lenses from specsavers and I’m on their lensmail scheme. Have been wearing clothes contacts for over 15+ years. Spent maybe 10 years wearing gas permeable, would never ever go back them, horrible things.
Go to specsavers!

RomaineCalm Sun 27-May-18 22:07:08

Yes, a toric contact lens is specifically to correct astigmatism.

It will depend on your overall prescription but it's definitely worth getting to an optician and trying some lenses if you want to. Technology is improving all the time and often the high street opticians will be more up to date than the independents. I have a high minus prescription with high astigmatism and have worn contact lenses (both soft and gas permeable) for 30 years.

In my experience a lot depends on how much you want to make contact lenses work for you. Be prepared to try a few different lenses, you may find that you don't get exactly the same correction as you do with glasses but many people don't notice the difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: