Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you suffer from anxiety how do you cope?

(43 Posts)
Wornout8 Sun 27-May-18 20:32:15

As in any tips for self managing anxiety would be gratefully received. Thank you

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 27-May-18 20:34:40

Watching.

My particular issue I’m dealing with at the moment is anxiety when my children are at school, I really have to fight the urge not to go and get them in the middle of the day or constantly phone and check on them. It’s hard.

I hope you find some solutions OP.

HunnidBands Sun 27-May-18 20:36:44

With much difficulty. I take medication now but it took me years of suffering before I’d admit I needed it. It does help. I still get the occasional panic attack when things go very off course - I have generalised anxiety disorder and change can trigger huge spirals of fear - but mostly the meds keep me on an even keel.

Mindfulness training can help.

Pipp91 Sun 27-May-18 20:37:32

Also watching. Sorry I'm not helpful!

BettyPitts Sun 27-May-18 20:37:46

I take tablets.

Wornout8 Sun 27-May-18 20:39:51

Thank you, I hope you do too. My main issue is worrying about dying and leaving my children. So similar to yourself.

Flatdilemma Sun 27-May-18 20:41:18

Tablets and CBT but honestly I don't cope. sad

Wornout8 Sun 27-May-18 20:45:59

Are your families supportive? I get worried my partner will get fed up and leave sad

AornisHades Sun 27-May-18 20:48:44

I'm struggling tbh. I'm having CBT for my biggest problem. I don't know if it will help.

Devonishome1 Sun 27-May-18 20:48:45

I’m also struggling really badly today. Health anxiety for me thinking that something bad is going to happen to me. I hate it my thoughts take over and I stop enjoying life.

DianaT1969 Sun 27-May-18 20:48:45

I work with someone who suffers general anxiety. She doesn't take the advice given by her MH team generally (she smokes unfiltered roll up cigarettes, drinks 8-10 cups of tea a day (caffeinated), never exercises or walks anywhere (car only) and she eats a lot of high carb, high sugar food. I've never seen her eat a nutritious lunch or breakfast, mainly crisps. She knows that she doesn't tolerate alcohol well, so she rarely drinks now.
No advice OP, but only to say that yoga, exercise, avoiding caffeine, cigarettes/alcohol and eating nutritious food might sound boring, but I doubt my colleague will get,or feel better until she changes some of her behaviours. It's possibly a symptom of the anxiety/depression that she doesn't feel able to give them up. I'm not sure.

DoinItForTheKids Sun 27-May-18 20:48:55

It's interesting you ask about this because I am, for probably the first time in 8 months, at home without the benefit of an 18 and 16 yo around the place and having just have a lovely visit since yesterday afternoon of family members which was all very chilled and thoroughly enjoyable.

But even though I'm sitting at home I feel anxious! Bloody, bloody annoying.

How do I cope?

I pick my skin - have reduced this a LOT and it wasn't ever super extreme but it still happens.

I used to use alcohol quite a bit but have hugely cut down in recent months so am well pleased about this.

Been on Sertraline but to be honest, and I could of course be wrong, but I feel there isn't a drug out there that can stop the feeling of anxiety. I really don't so would also love to hear what has worked for people. I had anxiety since a child and I cannot imagine what it would feel like to not feel like I feel all the time. Hunni what is it that's worked for you?

Practically, if I have to drive somewhere into a city or somewhere I've not been before I have to look at maps, I have to look at street view, I have to check out all parking options as otherwise I find the whole thing overwhelming. I don't have panic attacks and manage to hold down and push myself pretty hard in a quite demanding job, and essentially it makes no difference that the job can be stressful etc, because the anxiety is there ALL the time anyway so it that respect it doesn't stop me doing anything really.

I think what people don't realise is that it's the toll it takes on you - it's not healthy to have to operate in a severe stress level scenario kind of at all times, and people just cannot comprehend I find, that you can be both anxious yet a senior manager!! Hopefully you guys understand that it can be difficult to equate the non-anxiety part of yourself with your other self.

Sorry for rambling!

FrolickingForklift Sun 27-May-18 20:49:37

I have generalised anxiety disorder. Medication helps although I've been trying to get down to one tablet a day rather than the two kinds. Not sure what causes my spikes and it can be exhausting. Most of my family are supportive and can recognise when I need space and I try to keep talking about it when all I want to do is hide. I was first diagnosed about 10 years ago and it took a long time to accept that this is just who I am, medication can help but I've always been this way. Just wish I'd found help sooner

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 27-May-18 20:50:40

Not helpful DianaT

Cheerymom Sun 27-May-18 20:56:20

I have anxiety. I take medication and have in the past had various forms of therapy, I found CBT helpful.

Walking and swimming, either one for an hour daily.

Food, cutting down on alcohol which is a challenge as I use it as a coping strategy.

A routine like work or if in holidays I make a routine.

Some good anti anxiety podcasts, even just google on youtube.

Having a support network.

Emergency meds like xanax if needed.

Good luck.

blondeemily Sun 27-May-18 21:14:58

Any of you on Instagram? Follow mamas_scrapbook who gives really good advice on mental health and coping with anxiety. She also does live Q&As on her separate account live_mamas_scrapbook. One of the things she has said which has really stuck with me goes something along the lines of: Anxiety thinks it is preparing you for the worst, but it's really just taking the joy from your current moment. In other words, nobody can promise you that whatever your anxiety is about isn't going to happen, but your anxiety beforehand isn't going to make you feel any better should that worst case scenario actually happen.
I have anxiety which and I am on medication. I also try not to put too much pressure on myself. If I'm feeling really anxious, it's okay. If I can, I just take a step back and take it easy until I'm feeling a bit better.
Hope this helps smile

DoinItForTheKids Sun 27-May-18 21:29:15

You're so right Blonde about it taking away from the moment, I totally agree with that.

Where can you get Xanax from in the UK, or can you not?

Voci Sun 27-May-18 21:32:11

I'm better now but I still do this:

- No alcohol (never no exceptions)
- Plenty of sleep
- Almost no sugar
- No caffeine
- A lot of physical exercise
- Massage/ once a week
- Try not to overexert myself

LanguidLobster Sun 27-May-18 21:44:56

Badly. I guess things which might help would be

Diet
Usuals such as walking, music etc
Avoidance of triggers such as alcohol
CBT
Breathing exercises
Mindfulness and meditation
Medication, if that suits you. Seems to with some people

It's a little bit 'woo' but I've genuinely found hibiscus tea to work wonders

PinguPaws Sun 27-May-18 21:50:15

I used to suffer badly with OCD. Intrusive thoughts and anxiety. I've found what helped me best was CBT and meds like Xanax, to bring me down to a level where I can see and think clearly for what extreme anxiety is. It's basically your brain trolling you, looking for an extreme reaction to something that is not a threat to you in reality. There is a fantastic book by Harvard professor Dr. Schwartz called Brain Lock, it's considered one of the best books to help with dealing with the "spikes" that we feel when an anxiety attack or OCD seems to overwhelm you. hope this helps OP

mumprincess12 Sun 27-May-18 21:57:27

I can totally relate to wanting to pick children up middle of day. I have virtually no anxiety apart from about my children where it spirals to what I realise are ridiculous levels but I can't stop it.

ProzacAndWine Sun 27-May-18 22:02:43

Honestly, by avoidance. It works, but really limits your life, so I wouldn't recommend.

I have meds for when things get really bad. I haven't found help with ADs or CBT, but it's good to talk through anxiety stuff in my longterm therapy.

I do find aspects of mindfulness helpful. Not so much the guided type, but the simple things like focusing on basics such as the feel of feet, my breathing, or just trying to quietly, non-judgementally observe my surroundings.

2ndSopranos Sun 27-May-18 22:18:18

Medication. And I've had counselling too. And left my job.

I talk myself round. I've got quite good at recognising when I'm feeling anxious and almost take a step back and try to figure out what it is that's making me anxious. Mostly I can. I've been a bit anxious this weekend because I have a cold and have been feeling "off". I have emetophobia and I've gone from feeling off to thinking we're all going to get some nasty bug. But it's just a cold. That is all. I am telling myself this frequently and I'm in control. I'm still anxious, but it's anxiety on my terms.

flowers It's no fun.

AornisHades Sun 27-May-18 22:31:13

Pingu I'm glad to hear CBT helped with the OCD and intrusive thoughts. I'm really hoping it works on mine. My bloody brain is a master troll!

Wornout8 Sun 27-May-18 22:37:01

Thank you all so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: