Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Pet suggestions please!

(40 Posts)
SweetieP1e Sun 27-May-18 19:31:50

Our dd has allergies to cats and dogs but both dh and dd are desperate for a pet. We tried a low allergy cat breed but whilst he was loved dearly dd's allergies kicked in about a week after we got him and unfortunately we had to give him awaysad.

All has been very sad with dd even visiting the cat (he went to family) because she missed him. Dh is also really missing how comforting having the cat purring away on his lap was.

So can anyone suggest a fun, loving and 'comforting' pet instead of a cat or dog?

MiddleClassProblem Sun 27-May-18 19:34:16

Do t buy another pet until you’re sure she’s not allergic!

Maybe a rabbit? You can have it as a house rabbit, litter train it etc. But take her to see rabbits and handle them lots first or maybe even see if you can sit one for a friend.

Also rats are pretty cool.

Bubblysqueak Sun 27-May-18 19:35:26

skinny pigs would be ideal. they are hairless guinea pigs and work really well for people with allergies

KlutzyDraconequus Sun 27-May-18 19:38:00

snake.
best pets ever. clean them out regular, feed them once a week, done.
just because they're not furry doesn't mean they're not cuddly.
a nice Boa will give you a cuddle you'll never forget.

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 27-May-18 19:40:03

I would attempt to visit people with different pets to try and get an idea of what will and won't trigger her allergies but animals that like to hang out with you that she might not be allergic to include birds (cockatoo, parrots, lovebirds tend to like sitting on your shoulder), gekos and iguanas like chilling out on your shoulder, arm, inside your jumper etc

SweetieP1e Sun 27-May-18 19:49:07

Not sure I'm up for a rat just yet.hmm

I've suggested a lizard but dh is convinced it won't be cuddly (or anything close).

Keep the suggestions coming please. Personal experience a bonus!

AtomicP Sun 27-May-18 19:50:32

Rabbits are good but they need a lot of space , I’d give them the house tbh 😂

Watch out for hay/sawdust allergies

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 19:55:15

Guinea pigs and lovely and less aggressive than rabbits. DD loved hers they were so affectionate and playful.

Tinkobell Sun 27-May-18 20:02:30

A tortoise. Ethically sourced of course!
Re: dogs, is it just skin and or dander? Otherwise Chinese crested dog as it is hairless.

reachforthewine Sun 27-May-18 22:16:31

African land snail

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 27-May-18 22:21:46

It is possible to get allergy tests done on your skin.

I had one done years ago, as part of a medical research thing. It told me I was allergic to cats and I was convinced it was wrong - but I had my first allergic reaction to cats a couple of years later (no cats at home, so I wasn't coming into contact with them regularly anyway).

Much better to get an allergy test done now than to go through the upset of having to rehome another pet.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 27-May-18 22:24:15

What about a sphinx cat? Ugly, but may do the trick.

Otherwise, a pair of skinny guineas indoors in a C&C cage.

SweetieP1e Sun 27-May-18 22:37:22

I thought a rabbit would be nice but that it would have to live outdoors. We (may) have a fox in the area so I hadn't suggested it to her.
Do they smell if they live inside?

MiddleClassProblem Sun 27-May-18 22:39:58

This might help:
www.rspca-online.co.uk/faqs/rabbits/guide-to-house-rabbits/

MiddleClassProblem Sun 27-May-18 22:44:30

I’m not sure what you mean by smell though. You litter train them and normal house cleaning as you would if you have a cat or dog. Using a hutch at night you will be changing sawdust/hay but you can contain that to one room/area.

Things like wires they might chew are to look out for but if you ever considered a puppy or kitten if allergies weren’t an issue then you might be prepared for the furniture nibbling training etc.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 27-May-18 22:45:14

I loved my rabbits, great personalities, but found them harder than dogs to look after TBH. They need monumental amounts of space and I just found it to be a continuous arms race to keep them enclosed.

Guinea pigs are much more grateful for being looked after. Once used to you they love a cuddle and will chat to you all the time. If you have them on fleece they are not messy at all and the smell is v. minimal.

Cheeseislife Sun 27-May-18 22:49:57

Don't get rabbits if you're not willing to get a pair, have them spayed/neutered, and regularly vaccinated (both the combination vaccine and VHD2), as well as give them a hutch/playhouse/shed with permanently attached run, and daily health checks.

Guineas will be far easier!

IHeartKingThistle Sun 27-May-18 23:02:18

Honestly, rats. Genuinely pleased to see you, fun, eat your pizza crusts and cuddly. You just need to get past the fact that they're, you know, rats.

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 23:05:34

If you have foxes keep your guinea pigs and rabbits inside.
We thought we had secured our guinea pigs but the foxes found their way in a few days ago. It was devastating for DD (and very upsetting for me and DH). Foxes are so determined you can’t take the risk.

vilamoura2003 Sun 27-May-18 23:14:24

Poodles don't shed hair 🤔

HildaZelda Sun 27-May-18 23:30:02

My friend has two bearded dragons. They have great little personalities.

StayingAtTamaras Sun 27-May-18 23:30:19

Don't get a rabbit, they're not good for children, they're a lot of hard work and need a lot of space and constant attention. Really not good for kids

StayingAtTamaras Sun 27-May-18 23:31:39

Also they eat everything, ive got through 3 wifi router cables with cable protectors in the past month

firehousedog Sun 27-May-18 23:34:02

I agree with rats as pets. Very loyal animals.

Not sure snakes are good for children as pets. They might not like having to see live animals being fed to them.

LadyDeadpool Mon 28-May-18 00:10:45

Rats, rats, rats, trainable - litter and tricks, incredibly clean, loving, intelligent and beautiful. Oh and absolutely addictive they are wonderful pets they absolutely love their humans and very rarely if ever bite. Only times I've been bitten was poking my fingers through the cage and when one of my boys was dying of a brain tumor.

Attached photos of my 2 new babies Shouto and Deku

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: