Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Church - does anyone go?

(96 Posts)
user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:18:10

I am thinking about going to church and I'd appreciate your experiences if you don't mind.

I'm not religious but I feel as if something is drawing me there. I am very low and lonely so I suppose it could be that. I feel bad that I might want to go there just as somewhere to connect with people.

I nearly went today but I couldn't bring myself to walk in on my own.

DonutCone Sun 27-May-18 19:19:52

Yes I go.

You should absolutely go on your own if you want to go. I guarantee there will be other people on their own and you will not be anything out of the ordinary.

captainproton Sun 27-May-18 19:22:11

Yes we go. You don’t have to interact with anyone. Sit at the back and watch if you like.

BlueCookieMonster Sun 27-May-18 19:22:23

Yeah I go, my church is pretty happy and multicultural with a very vibrant community feel to it.

I’d say go for it, and if one doesn’t suit you, try somewhere else, there’s loads out there.

kaytee87 Sun 27-May-18 19:23:23

Yes, not every Sunday though. Plan to start going regularly again once dc is older.

I find it relaxing and uplifting. I love the chance to belt out hymns and listen to the ministers often thought provoking sermon.

The church community has been irreplaceable with their support for my grandparents, visiting and providing social occasions.

Our minister is great, young and enthusiastic with kids. There's no fire and brimstone and non Christians are very welcome.

GoldenEvilHoor Sun 27-May-18 19:23:36

I go and I hate it. It makes me feel miserable im the days leading up to it and the days afterwards.

Have you considered Sunday Assembly instead?

kaytee87 Sun 27-May-18 19:24:05

@GoldenEvilHoor why continue to go then?

PandaG Sun 27-May-18 19:24:37

Yes, I go. Walking in on your own could be a nerve-wracking thing to do, but if it was our church you would be very welcome. There are lots of mners who go to church, perhaps if you were willing to give us an idea of where you live we could suggest a church?

kaytee87 Sun 27-May-18 19:24:49

Remember there's loads of different churches so you might need to try a few to find your fit (if indeed it is for you at all)

user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:26:46

Thanks for your replies and so quick.

I wasn't sure if it's disrespectful to go if I'm not religious? I feel like that makes me a bad person. Having said that, I do feel as if I am questioning everything.

I want to meet people and have somewhere that I can go regularly.

Rachie1986 Sun 27-May-18 19:28:04

Yes I go. Happy to answer any questions.
They're fairly friendly places generally, usually very welcoming. Do you know what sort of church you would go to (denomination)?

If you feel pulled towards it, go and see if you enjoy it and meet people :-)

user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:28:41

I emailed Sunday Assembly weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

I live in South London

kaytee87 Sun 27-May-18 19:28:45

I can't answer for everyone but certainly no Christians I know would feel that it was disrespectful at all. In fact they'd be delighted.

My church has social events on every day. You could even find one with social events and go to them instead of a Sunday service?

user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:30:52

I don't know, C of E. I'm not Catholic. That's my starting point.

GoldenEvilHoor Sun 27-May-18 19:31:49

Please be careful if you are at all vulnerable.

user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:32:59

Thanks everyone. I have looked at the social events on at various churches but they seem to be daytime and I'm not free then.

There is one with a community garden open on a Saturday and the church is open at the same time so I might go there next weekend and see.

user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:34:05

Why be careful, what do you mean?

MiddlingMum Sun 27-May-18 19:45:07

Lots of churches will have one or more people who do pastoral care, so if you made contact beforehand it's likely they would be happy to meet you outside and sit with you, then introduce you to people at coffee afterwards or whatever.

Etino Sun 27-May-18 19:45:13

@user1474724638 Kings Church in South london is a wonderful
community. I’m Catholic and tbh we’re not the most exciting parishes! I go to Kings several times a year and they’re just lovely and the services are so uplifting.
@GoldenEvilHoor I’ve ‘seen’ you on other threads and I’m really sorry your church and family situation are so enmeshed and miserable. flowers

Flyingpompom Sun 27-May-18 19:48:37

You'd be made very welcome in my church. People go for various reasons, and feeling like part of the community is a big one.
I've no idea what goldenevilhoor is on about but we certainly don't prey on the vulnerable at my church!

averylongtimeasspartacus Sun 27-May-18 19:48:53

As someone brought up in the CofE, I go occasionally now.
Most churches will have several services on Sunday, perhaps an early Eucharist and a later family service. Perhaps Evensong at around 6.39.
Family services are pretty relaxed, there will be children there, who may be taken off to Sunday school during the communion part of the service. Go along, don't worry about being on your own or not being "religious", you will be made very welcome. Often there is coffee and chat afterwards, if you want.
It's fine just to sit and listen- you can join in with the hymns and prayers if you would like to, someone normally hands out hymn books and an order of service as you go in.
I don't know what the "be careful " comment was about. The Church of England is not some weird cult that locks you up and takes all your money.

user1474724638 Sun 27-May-18 19:51:19

Thanks Middling I didn't know that. That would be great.

Why be careful though? That's worried me though the overwhelming opinion seems to be give it a go.

Thanks everyone for replying, I do appreciate it

Camomila Sun 27-May-18 19:52:20

We go most weeks, sometimes just DH goes and sometimes we go as a family with the 2 yr old. We're moving in the summer so am hoping for one with sunday school for the little ones (we only have older dc sunday school and DS does not want to stay still for Mass)

I like the hymns and the sense of continuity (immigrants from Catholic countries, it makes me feel connected)

damekindness Sun 27-May-18 19:53:37

A quite posh work colleague (a farmers wife) once talked about going to church. I commented that she didn't strike me as being particularly religious...She answered

"Oh my goodness - I don't believe in God or any of that stuff - but going to church on a Sunday is just what one does"

Which I rather admired

Camomila Sun 27-May-18 19:55:26

Re: be careful I think some religious groups can 'jump on' slightly vulnerable people. I think this is far less likely with mainstream CofE/Catholics and more likely with less established Evangelical churches though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: