Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Doing my own Xmas stocking in advance... is this mad?!

(18 Posts)
CommonFishDiseases Sun 27-May-18 18:12:35

So I am thinking of buying myself some treats, hiding them away in a box in a high up cupboard and then on Chrismas Eve getting DH to "secretly" put them in a stocking so I can enjoy one alongside the DC grin I'm thinking... a nice nail polish, maybe some earrings, bubble bath, a paperback...

If I buy them now, by December I will have definitely forgotten what they are. I'm learning how to treat myself after being a bit of a martyr for too long. Last year DH did me a stocking which was a lovely thought but a bit "functional" e.g. anti-bacterial hand gel hmm

Will this work or should I just buy the treats and enjoy them now?!

BossWitch Sun 27-May-18 18:17:38

That's a brilliant idea, especially if you'll have forgotten the details of what's in there by Xmas.

Then after Xmas, you can say to dh "see, all those nice little bits, that's what I want in my stocking, you do it this year for me" so you don't get stuck buying your own stocking stuff forever after!

HolyMountain Sun 27-May-18 18:21:34

Buy and enjoy now, live in the moment!

You never know what’s round the corner so start painting those nails and enjoy a bubble bath.

HolgerLowCarbingLoser Sun 27-May-18 18:42:50

Yes absolutely, do it!!

Moreisnnogedag Sun 27-May-18 19:09:03

Do it! I've also put together a list of crafty boxes that I'd like (everything I need to do x project) and my DH selects one and surprises me with it.

I used to have a subscription box thing which was initially ace - now I just set aside the money and collect all the bits in a box and when I've finished one thing I have another ready and waiting smile

PanPanPanPing Sun 27-May-18 19:12:29

Ask them all in the Christmas topic www.mumsnet.com/Talk/Christmas. They talk about Christmas all year round fgrin fgrin

CommonFishDiseases Sun 27-May-18 19:47:22

PanPan I'm loathe to discuss the C-word in May! I want to buy the stuff then forget about it!!

formerbabe Sun 27-May-18 19:51:43

Sorry op, it's weird.

Adults don't have Christmas stockings. Least of all ones they've done for themselves...in May!

tentative3 Sun 27-May-18 19:59:43

There are no rules whatsoever about who has stockings, who prepared them or when. Crack on and have a bloody lovely surprise on Christmas morning OP.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 27-May-18 20:02:09

I do this but don't live with my bf and have been single for ages.

I spend what I would on a partner on myself. I usually get a nice pair of boots and a lovely stocking full of things I'll actually like. smile

DelurkingAJ Sun 27-May-18 20:04:55

Not strange at all for adults to have stockings...just one of those things that depends on family custom and traditions! And where else would I get all my Xmas chocolate to see me through to Easter?! smile

MyFavouritePlace Sun 27-May-18 20:14:09

What a good idea. Enjoy!

Don't think I've ever had a stocking, don't know why as my parents were big on Christmas.

BossWitch Sun 27-May-18 22:50:43

Dh and I have stockings- mine is the biggest in the whole family! No way I'm giving up that just cos I'm the adult now!

LanguidLobster Sun 27-May-18 22:53:00

Sounds great - yes you would forget by December!!

HarryLovesDraco Sun 27-May-18 22:55:35

I think that's really weird. If you want nice stuff just buy it and enjoy it!

SoftSheen Sun 27-May-18 22:58:06

If you want a stocking, why not ask your DH to do you one, with actual surprises? Maybe he could dress up as Santa too

PaleBlue Sun 27-May-18 23:03:51

I do a little stocking for me and also my cat so we can join in with ds when he is opening his stocking. I think ds likes that we all have one.

CommonFishDiseases Mon 28-May-18 07:02:26

Thanks Tentative star

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: