Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Did anyone swear they’d only have one child, then end up having more?

(22 Posts)
Givemethebiggestslice Sun 27-May-18 17:24:01

I’m currently pregnant with first child. Current view is that I’ll only have the one as pregnancy has been horrid (sickness etc) and I’m not the youngest.

But everyone keeps saying I’ll change my mind, which is quite annoying.

Did anyone swear they’d only have the one - for whatever reason - then go on to have more?

Appreciate it’s not always possible to plan these things.

Faultymain5 Sun 27-May-18 17:29:33

Yes, but accidentally got pregnant with the first one. So not longed for, but totally right when it happened. Made an effort for DC2. Totally worth that too.

My only regret was not doing it sooner so that they were 3 years apart rather than 6.

QueenofLouisiana Sun 27-May-18 17:33:29

No, DS is an only- he’s nearly 13 so I can’t see it changing.
We have no regrets now, although DH has been disappointed in the past but always knew it would be a really bad idea to have another child. We can do a lot as a tribe of 3 which would be impossible with another person. This weekend has been all about DS’s sport, really not easy with another child in the mix.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 27-May-18 18:22:19

It worked the other way for me before I had children i used to say I wanted about 6
I soon changed my mind when I had DD.
Never had any desire to have anymore.

WannaBeWonderWoman Sun 27-May-18 18:36:12

Yes, because DD was a crap sleeper and the worry that comes with being a mother was hard to cope with!

Then she turned 2 and I wanted her to have A (meaning one!) sibling.

Ended up with 4 of the blighters in the end hmm.

SharkSave Sun 27-May-18 18:52:27

Me! I said one and one only. I hated pregnancy, had a truly awful birth and said never again.
Currently pregnant again (still hating it!).
For me the overriding factor was giving my first a sibling rather than anything else

WaitRun Sun 27-May-18 18:55:41

Yes, me. I hated hated pregnancy but had an even worse time the 1st year after birth. DS is now 4, and I am very ready for my next! I swore for 2 years I would never do it again but I want another. I also see how much DS would enjoy having another sibling.

Bumbumtaloo Sun 27-May-18 18:57:38

Me! I had HG, horrific pregnancy and birth followed by PND. I swore I would never ever have a number 2, then when DD was 15/16mths old I changed my mind uttering the famous last words of ‘it can’t be as bad as last time....’ well, I’m a fucking idiot! HG, horrific pregnancy but a great birth and no PND.

They are now 8 & 6 and I’m so glad I changed my mind but two pregnancies were more than enough for me.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 27-May-18 18:58:28

Yes. After ds I said never again but then after a couple of years felt like he should have a brother or sister. Took 10 months to conceive dd. I'm surprised she exists!

im2tired2care Sun 27-May-18 19:08:06

Me but I have 2 now. I think I'm done at 2.

Had a horrific birth with DD1 too 3 years to want another. Not wanting her to be an only child was a big factor. Had ok birth and pregnancy with DD2 but suffered Post natal depression and just couldn't risk going through that again.
I'm happy with what I have now DD2 is 6 and I still have no desire to have more

MyGirlDaisy Sun 27-May-18 19:08:58

Yes, had a very sick pregnancy and very long difficult labour - remember looking at dc in his cot and saying to DH he will be an only child! Two and a half years later I gave birth to another DS after an even sicker pregnancy and that birth didn’t go as planned either! Was advised, in a kind way, by midwives and dr not to have any more children!! Always think if I had started sooner, so younger, and didn’t have the medical problems second time around I would have had two more! Feel grateful for the two healthy adult sons I have now and they get on really well.

robotcartrainhat Sun 27-May-18 19:12:22

yes. Totally changed my mind after a couple of years.
I had thought that id only be able to cope with one and then I had a traumatic birth and I said that i was never doing it again.

But as my son got older it made me remember how lonely my own childhood was and also the fear of watching my parents die alone, no one sharing any memories etc etc... So I changed my mind.
My son is 3 and im a few weeks off having his sister.

bunnynose Sun 27-May-18 19:15:27

Yes! Awful pregnancy, horrific birth, first 6 months were terrible. I said I would never do it again!

DD was 3 and watching her open her Christmas presents made me feel sad that she would never have the same experience of sharing the excitement me and my DH had with our siblings at Xmas, birthdays, holidays etc.

Got pregnant 8 months later, and as soon as the sickness kicked in again I knew that would definitely be the last time, and it was!

Glad I went through it all again though.

Poodles1980 Sun 27-May-18 19:17:38

Yep had one nearly 5 years ago and defo said I wouldn’t want another. Due number two in a few weeks. I just really felt I wanted another one

MiddlingMum Sun 27-May-18 19:46:39

Yes, my friend who had triplets grin

coldestwinter Sun 27-May-18 19:47:44

When I was pregnant, and then for a few months after my daughter I swore blindly that 1 was all I would have. I had a rubbish pregnancy too, but other than that, a very easy time post birth with baby. About a year ago we decided a second would be nice. I'm now 6 months pregnant with second daughter, some sickness again but much easier pregnancy so far!

m0therofdragons Sun 27-May-18 19:53:26

Yes, once dd was 2.5 we were on holiday and all the siblings were playing on the beach and as much as dd tried she was only included for a few minutes before the siblings left her out (not maliciously). The parents with more than one dc seemed a lot more chilled than those with one. That was the week we decided that we would start trying for number 2 in the new year (6 months later). Dc 2 was twins so now we have 3 dc. That definitely wasn't the plan. It's mental but I love it and am definitely chilled most of the time. They argue a bit but actually do entertain each other and if one has had enough then they can still play with the other. 3 is a surprisingly good number.

gruber Sun 27-May-18 19:54:34

For a long time we thought our DS would be an only (combination of medical reasons and we liked just having him, we are so flexible and can do anything/go anywhere). However. He started asking for a sibling at about 4, when he realised he didn’t have one. He has been persistently asking for over a year and we really considered it. Suffice to say we are now expecting no 2! Mainly so he isn’t lonely when we are old, and has someone to share care of elderly parents etc with. But also because I feel I could cope with the age gap we have now (I didn’t feel I could have previously)

puppymouse Sun 27-May-18 19:58:48

My mum did this. Swore she'd only have me. Then when I was 13 my sister was born...... sometimes it's out of your hands 😬

puppymouse Sun 27-May-18 19:59:52

DD is also an only. It gives me the heebies thinking about getting pregnant again and really stressed at the thought of having the resilience and patience for two.

hlc123 Sun 27-May-18 21:34:09

yes, had a terrible first pregnancy with hg and anxiety, then PND. Used to get really annoyed when people said I would change my mind about having another as they had no clue what I had been through! Then when my daughter started nursery I changed my mind and my son was so adorable we went for a third!

Fatted Sun 27-May-18 21:44:17

Yes. My first pregnancy was fine. We always wanted more than one.

Then I had a difficult delivery and an emergency c-section. DS1 was the evil reflux crying baby from hell for the first 3 months of his life and I had terrible PND as well. Both DH and I were adamant we were never doing it again.

Then when DS1 turned 1, MIL took seriously ill and it made us reevaluate a lot of things. I was pregnant with DS2 by the time DS1 was 18m old.

I'm definitely not having anymore now though! DS2 was the pregnancy from hell and I was in hospital at 37 weeks with complications. I actually asked the consultant the night before my c-section if I could be sterilized while I was there. She laughed and said I might change my mind!

I'm glad I had a second baby because it was a much more positive experience with a newborn than first time around. But definitely not doing it again. I'm 38, don't want a bigger house, 2 bigger cars or to go back to nappies and sleepless nights for anything!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: