Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What do your children do to fill their time?

(80 Posts)
veggifriedbreakfast Sun 27-May-18 16:44:52

Ds is 6 and is having trouble filling his time, he gets bored and many and it sets a terrible mood over the home as dh then gets fed up of listening to it.

So I'm wondering what your children get up to to fill their own time?

Currently ds does Tae Kwon Do on a Saturday afternoon and then we see friends after or swim, Friday he has a half an hour swimming lesson and he's starting Gymnastics on Thursdays next week (7th June)

Any help or ideas for him would be great

veggifriedbreakfast Sun 27-May-18 16:46:29

Moany! Sorry for typos

TitZillas Sun 27-May-18 16:47:21

Does he not play? With his toys?
I have 3 DC and expect them to amuse themselves with the massive amount of toys they have both in their rooms and downstairs. They play together sometimes, and other times by themselves.

IRememberSoIDo Sun 27-May-18 16:47:27

Read, play board games, kill each other, play outside, write stories, watch tv, kill each other a bit more. My friend found cutting back on activities for her eldest two who both struggled with boredom actually helped as they became used to pottering around a bit more and entertaining themselves in different ways. That said her eldest still is quite difficult in this regard at almost 11. It does her head in at times.

ForkIt Sun 27-May-18 16:48:34

Today-
Garden play
Ludo
Top trumps
Drawing
Horrible histories
Lego
Park
Cleaning chickens out
Bit of maths homework
(Age 7 and 5, some together, some alone)

veggifriedbreakfast Sun 27-May-18 16:50:49

He'll play, but it's not long lived, I don't know if I've gone wrong because I used to play with him so much when he was younger, but I'm working now and have less time.

Maybe cutting back on activities will help, I'll have to give it some thought, the Tae Kwon Do we see as necessary so that won't stop, but he is swimming really well (stage 5) so that could be stopped though he says he'd like to compete, it's a really difficult choice to make

IRememberSoIDo Sun 27-May-18 16:52:57

Is there anything he's interested in toys wise particularly? Mine love their sylvanian families and play for hours with them mostly alone I find. They also play with LEGO, seem to never tire from making something then breaking it and starting again.

Stompythedinosaur Sun 27-May-18 16:53:09

We do quite a few organised activities. Outside that the dds play out (ride bikes and run around with other kids in the village), watch cartoons, do art/craft things (aquabeads, doh Vinci, drawing, junk modelling), play with toys (build Lego or play with playmobil mainly).

Babybearsporij Sun 27-May-18 16:53:23

When not at activities they read, play (with their toys or on their own), go in the garden, dress up, imaginary games, watch bloody kinder eggs Youtube on DC1's tablet, wash the windows outside with their water shooters (their favourite activity at the moment!!)

MiddlingMum Sun 27-May-18 16:53:25

My view is that it's really bad for children for adults to fill their time for them. They need to learn to potter, to invent games, to find interests of their own. A few activities are fine, but they need long stretches of time to fill themselves, preferably without the need for endless electronics.

My DC had a friend who had her time so micromanaged by her parents that she barely knew how to play.

NameChangedForThisQ Sun 27-May-18 16:56:35

Have a bored box with crafts toys books and activity ideas. He is directed to the box every time he mentions the b word.

PieceOfTheMoon Sun 27-May-18 16:57:22

Mine are 5 and 7. Today has been:
Lego
Minecraft
Trampoline
Craft set
Helping put clean washing away
Games on iPad
Teddy bear picnic
They also read, watch TV, do colouring in (in those colouring books for grown ups), do puzzles, play cards and board games, do small chores around the house as well as some play dates and after school clubs. Hope that gives some ideas.

MiddlingMum Sun 27-May-18 17:00:40

Sitting down and writing a list of possible things to do, then pinning it up somewhere might help. They when your DS is bored, send him to have a look - help him to read it if necessary.

Sametimesameplace Sun 27-May-18 17:03:18

Today
Sylvanian families
Drawing at the kitchen table
YouTube videos
Half a Disney film (can’t manage a whole film)
Listening to music

veggifriedbreakfast Sun 27-May-18 17:07:21

This is where I think I've gone wrong, and rather than filling his own time he would rather lay on the floor literally doing nothing, I'm ignoring it as much as I can because I really want him to fill his time himself. Making a bored list and box may be wonderful ideas to help him towards creating things to do himself, so thank you for those ideas. Hoping I can undo always filling his time for him, hoping I'm not too late

ForkIt Sun 27-May-18 17:12:24

If I have one thing that changed a lot it was largely getting rid of screen, not totally, but making them rare. They seem to keep them half stimulated in an annoying way

Ohyesiam Sun 27-May-18 17:16:54

I don’t think you have necessarily done anything wrong. My first cannot occupy herself, my second just gets on with it, I treated them the same, just different personalities.

DelurkingAJ Sun 27-May-18 17:17:08

Don’t beat yourself up, OP...DS1 (5) is very like this...would always rather be entertained than entertain himself. But DS2 (2) will play for hours alone...case in point he is currently playing trains on the living room floor and has been since about 3. No difference in how we treat them, very different outcome.

I find having a friend round for DS1 works. Otherwise I try (with some success) finding him something useful to do, offering to set up e.g. painting and we had an ‘I’m bored’ jar...which worked for a while.

I hear you though, it’s utterly frustrating!

veggifriedbreakfast Sun 27-May-18 17:18:07

@forkit I think that is a big problem. Dh has let ds have free reign over the PlayStation, even though I have said many times it is ruining him. Last week we had a Frank discussion and dh has finally let me take over with it. So I'm free to monitor it and now I'm having trouble. I hate screens big time. Reducing and removing is my ultimate goal but it's the moaning of boredom, the complete unwillingness to do anything

QueenofLouisiana Sun 27-May-18 17:18:20

At that age, Lego filled most of his time. Also playing with the dog, some cbbc time, k’nex and Playmobile.

Figgygal Sun 27-May-18 17:18:25

We are the same with our 6 year old he's been sent to hIs room until dinner now as all day he's whined for tv or been moaning he's bored and saying what can I do then. Any suggestion other than tv or playing football in garden is cried or whined over.

He won't play with ANYTHING he has hundreds of pounds of Lego he refuses to touch, board games over spilling from the wardrobe he has no interest in, mad screaming fits over reading and even only watches football on tv and will regularly watch premier league goals 1998 just to get a fix.

He throws and kicks things refuses to take no for an aswer and is bloody rude to us. Had about enough today god help us tomorrow if it's wet again

Figgygal Sun 27-May-18 17:20:29

Our ds watches tv but has no console or tablet time as he gets obsessed (like they all do) and having removed them early on he just doesn't look for them anymore

soundsystem Sun 27-May-18 17:20:40

Mine eldest is a bit younger but she’ll happily play with Playmobil/Duplo/Happyland, do colouring (admittedly not for more than about 10 mins) or stickers, imaginative play like with her Kitchen or playing shops or going to space in a cardboard box. Or reading/looking at books. When it’s nice weather she’ll potter in the garden chatting to bugs.

While she’s good at amusing herself, it does all come with a running commentary, really from the moment she wakes up until she goes to bed at night...

Can you start him off on something and sort of drift off and see if he keeps going with it?

happinessischocolate Sun 27-May-18 17:23:11

At that age mine were always playing with the neighbours kids, we had a playhouse and a trampoline and in the summer one of those betterway pools and I wouldn't see them for hours unless I went out into the garden

veggifriedbreakfast Sun 27-May-18 17:24:03

@figgygal you are describing ds there too. I'm currently sat in the park so he can play and stop complaining and dh can calm down.

I'm fed up with it as well, I remember occupying my own time for hours as a child so this is awful. I'm thoroughly fed up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: