Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Could this be a food allergy?

(6 Posts)
StrawberryJamPlease Sun 27-May-18 16:14:40

I posted this on General Health board a few days ago but haven't had any replies, so I am posting here for traffic.

I've had a random thing that for the past 4 or 5 months, every 3/4 weeks I wake up after about 4 hours sleep feeling really uncomfortable in the tummy. Kind of bloated. I go to the loo and sit there hoping that that will relieve it, but it doesn't. After about half an hour I feel sick (I'm not a sick type person and haven't felt sick up until this point), vomit and then can go back to sleep. I wake the next morning tired but otherwise fine.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to keep a diary with what I am eating. When i go to bed I am completely fine, and when I wake in the morning I am fine.

I am otherwise healthy.

What could it be? Anyone?

BalloonSlayer Sun 27-May-18 16:26:18

Sounds like an intolerance rather than an allergy. If it was an allergy you would also have a skin reaction.

Food diary definitely a good idea. Sometimes if you develop an intolerance to, say, gluten you could be fine with small amounts but reacting to a larger amount you have from time to time.

BalloonSlayer Sun 27-May-18 16:33:33

Actually there is another thread on chat today called "going gluten free: which talks about build-up; worth a read?

StrawberryJamPlease Sun 27-May-18 17:13:33

Thanks. I’ll hunt it out. So far in life I’ve got by without any allergies etc. and I’m not sick enough to bother a dr as there is nothing for them to test.

As long as it’s not an early sign of something I should be worried about!

Namelesswonder Sun 27-May-18 17:44:56

An intolerance is still an allergy, it’s an allergy which doesn’t involve the production of histamine. The language around allergies has changed as people tend to think of non-ige allergies (which used to sometimes be called intolerance) is less serious when that is not always the case.

There are no tests for non-Ige allergies except an elimination diet. So you need to keep a food diary and see if you can get an idea of what you react to. Remove suspected item from diet for a min of 2 weeks and monitor symptoms. Then reintroduce item and monitor reaction. Repeat process at least twice.

StrawberryJamPlease Sun 27-May-18 17:52:20

Nameless wonder. That’s very useful, thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: