Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you don't have a guest room, where did guests stay in your house?

(74 Posts)
nomorespaghetti Sun 27-May-18 16:11:41

Just that really. We have three bedrooms, our room, box room (DD's room), and a decent sized spare room with a double bed in. Expecting DC2 later this year and I want to get rid of the double in the spare room and put the cot in there. There is also a big wardrobe and two chests of drawers in there. Can't put cot in with double bed as it would be really squished in there. Then guests would sleep on a double air bed put up in the baby's room when needed.

DH doesn't like the idea of putting guests on an air bed, even tho none of the people who stay with us are at all fussy. And we don't have guests particularly often!

Using an air bed would be a lot cheaper than getting a sofa bed or a day bed, plus if we got one of those we'd probably have to get rid of the big wardrobe to get them in, which seems a shame.

nomorespaghetti Sun 27-May-18 16:11:59

P.s. Sorry if this is the most boring thread ever!

MongerTruffle Sun 27-May-18 16:12:29

One time they slept on the sofa, and one time the guests took our room and we slept on the sofa.

Redglitter Sun 27-May-18 16:13:07

How often do you have overnight guests

KlutzyDraconequus Sun 27-May-18 16:13:15

you have DD in a box room and a big room for occasional guests?

that's, to me, is odd. why cant DD have the big room and bollocks to the guests?

OccasionalNachos Sun 27-May-18 16:14:11

I put them in my room & I sleep on an air bed in the living room.

I generally only have family & v close friends to stay & we’re all done with the arrangement. I wouldn’t accommodate an acquaintance in this way!

OccasionalNachos Sun 27-May-18 16:14:23

*all fine with the arrangement

Zoflorabore Sun 27-May-18 16:15:14

Another one wondering why dd is in the box room to facilitate the occasional guest...

frasier Sun 27-May-18 16:15:42

I do not believe in having a home organised for occasional guests. That’s like doing a job for someone else to get some of your pay or buying a coat for yourself that someone else would like to borrow!

We have the same issue except third room is a study. Blow up double bed ( quite comfy) in there when necessary.

ParentInCharge Sun 27-May-18 16:19:17

DS(6) has a double bed. Great for guests and better for him all the rest of the time. When we have guests he just hops into his sister's (8 & 11) room. They have a double and single in there.
If I were you I'd have a cot in a box room and move your DD into the double bedroom. She can bunk in with you or her sibling if guests stay over.

nomorespaghetti Sun 27-May-18 16:21:27

DD's only 2 and we moved into the house just before she was born, so the box room was the nursery, but we've redecorated it over time and it's so lovely in there now, i don't really want to move her out. It's not so much a nursery now, it's just her room. We had thought about turning it into an office and having both kids in the same room eventually, but probably not for a few years.

nomorespaghetti Sun 27-May-18 16:23:06

We have guests maybe once every two months, and i agree with you, fraiser, i don't want our house set up for occasional guests. DH seems to think it's very important that guests are super comfortable!

museumum Sun 27-May-18 16:24:31

We will get ds one of those singles that turns into a double and he’ll move out to our room when guests come.

museumum Sun 27-May-18 16:26:07

Having said that I think a z-bed or soda bed is 100x better for guests than an air bed. Most people over 40 struggle a bit to get up and down from a mattress on the floor.

nomorespaghetti Sun 27-May-18 16:27:06

@museumum i was looking at those in Ikea, some are lovely, but all the ones i find turn into a super king (two singles) and we'd have to get rid of our wardrobe to fit one in. You can get such nice ones.

frasier Sun 27-May-18 16:30:30

Our air bed is high, same as a normal bed, not on the floor. And self inflating.

frasier Sun 27-May-18 16:31:19

Like this www.dreams.co.uk/comfort-air-bed-king-size?selected_id=19323&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwe7g-Zqm2wIVApPtCh3E9wJCEAQYASABEgJNH_D_BwE

MunchMunch Sun 27-May-18 16:33:24

My house isn't set up for guests. I don't have guests either but if I did they'd sleep on this kind of blow up bed that we've used loads of times when we camp. It blows up and deflated in about 2-3 minutes. It isn't low to the floor and they are very comfortable...

siwel123 Sun 27-May-18 16:33:24

Still think you should give your kid the big room? Why does the enwborn get a bigger room? That's a bit daft imo.

You don't need a room for guests, if they want to see you that bad there's hotels or your sofa or an airbed

MunchMunch Sun 27-May-18 16:34:21

Don't know where the picture went hmm

BalloonFlowers Sun 27-May-18 16:35:33

We send ours to the hotel round the corner - literally 100m away.
No-one has stayed in this house (except the kids friends) since we moved in 3 years ago.
May have something to do with the fact we live a long way from anyone, so they usually come for a week minimum. Couldn't be dealing with airbeds and kids in the wrong places for that long.

MissMarplesKnitting Sun 27-May-18 16:36:34

We have an inflatable big airbed on a frame. It's super comfy.

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 16:36:46

We have a sofa bed in the front room for guests because we have a 2 new house so no room for guests rooms.
We’re looking to upgrade to a 3 bed soon so we can have more room for guests.

Dowser Sun 27-May-18 16:37:13

Travelodge or premier inn
We have one bathroom

gamerwidow Sun 27-May-18 16:38:47

We have pils stay for the weekend at least every 6 weeks and it’s s pain to keep losing the living room. Our guest room will still have a sofa bed and will double as a playroom for DD

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: