Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

ANY JOURNALISTS HERE???!

(111 Posts)
mummyyessy Sun 27-May-18 13:49:47

Please take a moment to read a thread in the Feminist chat section about Leeds' Red light district.

If really needs a wider audience. There are lots calling for it to be published in the mainstream media.

UpstartCrow Sun 27-May-18 14:05:47

Bumping because this needs to be seen.

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 27-May-18 14:06:22

Bump with link to the thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3260133-You-need-to-read-this-article-about-the-Leeds-red-light-district?pg=1&order=

mummyyessy Sun 27-May-18 14:08:01

Cheers @LassWiADelicateAir

Bowlofbabelfish Sun 27-May-18 14:09:38

Bumping again. This is important stuff.

And any journos reading; as well as the main focus on class, poverty and prostitution there’s probably a whole slew of things you can link into this - the author’s speculation on possible future property development in the areas rings true. This has happened in several Yorkshire councils - Donnygate for example.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 27-May-18 14:12:33

bump.

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 27-May-18 14:15:57

The knock on effect on every one's lives in that area should be considered.

This is a Daily Mail article from 2016. I'm not going to apologise for it. There is nothing in to criticise.

It draws attention to the miserable life of the prostitutes; the day to day deterioration of the quality of life for those who are not involved in prostitution in any way; and ultimately the wrecking of other people's businesses and security.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3402023/Devastating-truth-Britain-s-legal-red-light-district-police-council-insist-s-city-safer-reality-Intimidation-murder-locals-scared-out.html

ohfortuna Sun 27-May-18 14:16:12

Please everyone read the article
very powerful
very straight talking

ohfortuna Sun 27-May-18 14:17:33

cross posted
I was talking about this article
littlegirlblue.blog/2018/05/25/living-in-the-red-light-district/
I've not read the Daily Mail One

AnyFucker Sun 27-May-18 14:19:58

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 27-May-18 14:25:30

littlegirlblue.blog/2018/05/25/living-in-the-red-light-district/

Yes to be clear- this is the article which needs exposure.

HenbaneRiver Sun 27-May-18 14:37:41

Ok no one trust's the "motherfucking police" because they're all involved in the business (of both the crack and the prostitution. hmm) So no one calls them and yet there's complaints in the blog that they're not actively policing the area, in an "area where everyone hates" them. So why do you want them there at All? Sounds to me like a blog written by someone with an axe to grind about the police rather than the issue at hand.

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 27-May-18 14:42:42

Sounds to me like a blog written by someone with an axe to grind about the police rather than the issue at hand

Really? That is all you took from it? It is a description of many people's lives being made hell by punters.

OfNicholasPants Sun 27-May-18 14:49:39

HenbaneRiver did you really read all the blog?

AnyFucker Sun 27-May-18 14:51:17

Are you a bent copper, Hen ?

HenbaneRiver Sun 27-May-18 15:04:56

Are you a bent copper, Hen ?

Ah got it in one. Thats got to be the only answer to why someone would criticise a blog. Anyway which copper isn't bent, It's only natural right? I'm literally sitting here on a pile of money. Fucking raking it in with all the crack I'm dealing and Toms I'm running.

Or am I John? That's the normal accusation you like to throw about when someone disagrees with you in a conversation even remotely touching on prostitution.

Any other little insults or personal attacks you want to try and get in? It would be nice if you could spew your venom early so the tiresome bit can be over and done with.

Offred Sun 27-May-18 15:08:22

Lol henbane have you never lived in a poor area? People don’t trust the police, or children’s services, or schools, or doctors, or housing associations etc because they have good reasons not to trust the structures of the state.

FuelledByButter Sun 27-May-18 15:12:57

Never mind Henbane.
Focus on the important thing here.
Bumping for more traffic.

mummyyessy Sun 27-May-18 15:15:36

Yes ignore the other stuff, just bump.

mummyyessy Sun 27-May-18 15:16:16

And yes it's THIS ARTICLE THAT NEEDS EXPOSURE!!!

https://littlegirlblue.blog/2018/05/25/living-in-the-red-light-district/

HenbaneRiver Sun 27-May-18 15:32:57

Lol henbane have you never lived in a poor area? People don’t trust the police, or children’s services, or schools, or doctors, or housing associations etc because they have good reasons not to trust the structures of the state

Not that it matters or will necessarily be believed but yes I have. I hated it. I hated the area, the people and the attitudes which went with it. People don't trust the structures of the state because there's an "us against them" attitude and a complete inability to apply any sort of critical thinking to any rumours or gossip which are instead taken as gospel. (See that "blog" for details) I've heard it most of my life. Mainly from family and neighbours.

"The job centre stopped my giro for no reason" (You didn't attend 4 appointments in a row)
"The fucking school has got it in for my kids" (Your children attack others and have an appalling attendance record)
"The local doctors surgery is fucking shit 'cos there's too many immigrants" (You've been taken off the books because you threatened staff because your script wasn't processed)
"The fucking pigs keep harassing me" (You don't have a licence, tax or insurance of course they keep stopping you")
"The pigs are corrupt" (Yeah arresting you after your ex partner made a complaint of assault is definitely corruption. I mean the police get paid per arrest right)
"Social services took my babies to give to gay couples. They get given bonuses for each baby they remove" (They took your babies because you're a class A user who's in a violent relationship)
This gets taken as fact on the estate with no one ever stopping to think why.

There's not Lots of "reasons not to trust the structures of the state" There's simply no personal accountability whatsoever. Always someone else's fault. It's much easier that way.

LangCleg Sun 27-May-18 15:35:34

The knock on effect on every one's lives in that area should be considered.

Absolutely.

Offred Sun 27-May-18 15:50:18

Ah ok so when you lived in the poor area you were one of the ‘I own my house’ ones who likes it when poor people make you feel morally superior!

Got it.

AnyFucker Sun 27-May-18 15:53:45

Thanks for bumping hen

Good job 👍

VioletCharlotte Sun 27-May-18 15:58:23

Can I suggest all sharing on Facebook/ Twitter if you haven't already done so? The more reach this can get the better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: