Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Going gluten free

(117 Posts)
Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 10:29:39

I've posted on here about the awful stomach problems I have. Thinking about trying FODMAP but also wondering instead about going gluten free. Has anyone done this? How hard is it and has it helped? I hate the idea of restricting what I eat but can't go on like this.

twinnywinny14 Sun 27-May-18 10:34:20

There was the dr who wrote good gut diet book (or similar title-can’t remembered now!) was on radio 2 this week- weds I think and he talked about how to discover intolerances by hanging diet and observing changes, might be worth looking o his book or seeing if you can get it on podcast- as someone who has wheat intolerance it was his book and advice that solved (most) of my stomach problems x

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 10:37:07

Thank you that sounds good. Feel bloody awful after a horrible night. I'm on omeprazole which normally helps but isn't now.

ragmayo Sun 27-May-18 10:40:42

Warburtons do a great range of gf bread products. The sourdough cob cut for toast is lovely. Alpro coconut yoghurt is also good. I'm trying to go gf at the moment, have slip ups and regret it all the more as seem to react more since cutting out. Lidl and Aldi have gf sections too

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 10:41:52

Thank you. My mother in law had similar issues and cut out gluten a couple of years ago but she thinks it's made things worse for her! confused

maxthemartian Sun 27-May-18 10:48:20

Could you try some really good probiotics?
VSL are pricy but they work really well.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 27-May-18 10:50:00

I found it fairly easy. So many places have good alternatives now. I did it because gluten triggers my eczema and makes me bloat.

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 10:50:44

What are vsl?

kentgal Sun 27-May-18 10:51:01

Hi, I had bad stomach and digestive problems about 4 years ago. I was tested for celiac but tests were clear. I took myself off gluten anyway as I was pretty desperate to try anything at that point. I'm still gluten free now. It really helped me. You get used to the change in diet and there is a lot more choice of gluten free foods these days and lots more restaurants cater for it too, it's worth s try to see if it helps

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 10:52:57

Thank you How do i know what has gluten in? I know bread, cereal and pasta does. Does rice have it? Are there certain fruits and vegetables that have it?

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 10:55:39

Ive been reading and also seen that going gluten free can help with fatigue, skin, low mood, plus other stuff.

BlankTimes Sun 27-May-18 10:57:35

You'd be better off having a coeliac test before removing it from your diet because if you remove it, then the test doesn't work.

Oats contain gluten.

Read labels avidly, it's easier to make your own food than buy gluten free.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 11:00:47

Rice, fruit, vegetables, potatoes- all gluten free. Yoghurt and other dairy is gluten feee (confused at the above post about coconut yoghurt?) things that surprised me with the fact that they contain gluten: soy sauce, marmite.

But have you had a coeliac test? Because if not, you need to have 3 months at least if eating gluten 3x per day, before the test, otherwise you might get a false negative result.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 11:01:32

Pure oats from the free from section do not contain gluten, but normal oats from the cereal aisle do because of how they are processed.

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 11:03:07

I don't think I'm coealic. I know people who are and my symptoms are sporadic. I can be fine for a few weeks then ill. It would be constant if I was coealic wouldn't it? I've been to Dr several times and they just give me omeprazole which really helped until this weekend. It's not a long term solution though. Fed up. Dr just giving me tablets but not interested in getting to the root of the problem.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 11:03:13

Don't you think you need to go and see your doctor again before trying anything like this? Get a second opinion from a different doctor if you feel it's necessary. Hope you feel better soon flowers

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 11:04:10

Cross posted.

Ok- I'm a bit of an expert on gluten (!) so any questions you have, I'd be happy to answer.

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 11:04:45

Then I you. I've seen 3 different doctors about this.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 11:05:46

sorry for the multiple postings: saying that, it might be worth still trying to get the test for coeliac? If you have an official diagnosis you get the follow up blood tests/ bone density scan etc to ensure you stay healthy.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 11:06:12

Have you kept a food diary?

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 11:06:37

Currently just feel so bloated and full of air and stomach making awful gurgling noises. Had upset stomach all night so took Imodium because it was so bad.

Ihatebuildabear Sun 27-May-18 11:08:16

No. Going to start keeping a food diary. I had Yorkshire pudding last night which set it all off and I then remembered that that had me ill before but not as bad as this time. However I can have the same flour in a cheese sauce and I'm fine.

JellySlice Sun 27-May-18 11:14:28

But have you been tested for coeliac? Until that is excluded it is pointless making permanent changes to your diet, because (a) coeliac needs a different degree of exclusion to intolerance, and (b) uncontrolled coeliac can lead to major health problems in later life.

BTW you have my every sympathy - I'm currently gluten-loading in the run-up to a blood test for coeliac. It's grim, but has to be done.

UnimaginativeUsername Sun 27-May-18 11:14:44

DS2 has just been diagnosed with coeliac. His symptoms are not necessarily classic and consistent (but all his test results were very, very high, and he had the gene marker associated with it; in fact, his results are so high that the consultant could diagnose it without an endoscopy). He gets periodic sore tummies and diahorrea, but the symptoms we’d actually been referred for were migraines and joint pains.

So he’s on a GF diet now. There lots of advice about it on the coeliac uk website. So far what I’ve mostly learned is that naturally GF food is the way to go as much as possible. I tried making him pancakes this morning and, although they looked and tasted good, they have a weird dryness that continues drying out your mouth long after you’ve eaten them. I found the same thing with GF bread.

yikesanotherbooboo Sun 27-May-18 11:16:06

It's quite easy to avoid gluten but as pp says above ; don't stop it before having coeliac blood test if you genuinely think it is an issue.
What does your doctor think? Have they advised low FODMAP ? If so , there are loads of resources on line. It is more tricky but again there are rules to follow.
If you are just fed up and Dr and blood tests not coming up with any solutions then the good gut health route might be the most useful. It doesn't involve cutting out food groups for a start.there have been several books published in the last few years.
As with all things you need to give any change you make a good few weeks to make a difference and you should fully commit. That way you will know for definite whether the difference is due to the changes you have made and that you should continue lifelong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: