Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you feel suspicious about people who don't like hot drinks?

(79 Posts)
LanguidLobster Sun 27-May-18 09:55:05

I can't help it, I feel intensely judgemental about people who reject tea/coffee/herbal.

I was dating someone once who wouldn't drink hot drinks, only energy drinks as far as I could make out, and also wouldn't drink water with a slice of lemon (this is wrong of me but I didn't have soft drinks in and couldn't countenance just offering plain water so snuck some lemon into it).

I'm being a complete wanker aren't I? But I really don't understand an aversion to hot drinks.

Fattymcfaterson Sun 27-May-18 09:56:05

Yup, you're being a wanker

MeanTangerine Sun 27-May-18 09:56:16

I don't understand having hot drinks as a measure of trustworthiness confused

ClandestineAdulation Sun 27-May-18 09:58:03

I don’t like tea, coffee or any of the fruit/herbal teas that I’ve tried. I dislike the taste and do seem to have adverse reactions to caffeine... headaches, racing heart etc...

Lots of people think it’s strange when I say I’ll just have water.

YouCantBeSirius Sun 27-May-18 09:58:05

If I have a hot drink it makes my nose run uncontrollably so I don't drink them. Helps that I don't like the taste of them anyway.

HamishTheTalkingCactus Sun 27-May-18 09:58:07

If it's a dealbreaker for you in a relationship, fair enough! but I don't see why it would be an issue with friends/colleagues etc

MrsCD67 Sun 27-May-18 09:58:08

I don't understand how people can't like hot drinks personally but I certainly wouldn't judge someone's character based on what drinks they like....

trilbydoll Sun 27-May-18 09:58:15

Tea/coffee/herbal all taste revolting. I'm more suspicious that you can't cope with plain water.

LaGattaNera Sun 27-May-18 09:59:47

Not suspicious but it makes it difficult at times to "go out for a coffee"
I have a friend who suggests we go out for coffee but he does not drink any hot drinks nor any soft drinks - just tap water. He doesn't eat a cake or scone either. I think buying a drink of some sort or something to eat is what you have to do in order to sit chatting in a coffee shop as it is not a bus stop.

Myneighboursnorlax Sun 27-May-18 09:59:54

I don’t understand people who do drink hot drinks. If I’m thirsty I want a drink now, I don’t want to boil the kettle, wait for it to boil, make a drink which is too hot to drink, then wait for it to cool down, then forget I made it in the first place, and then it’s too cold to drink! I’d rather have some squash or something. Much easier. At work I always have a bottle of water on my desk - means I don’t have to get up every half an hour like my colleagues and go through all the hassle of the above steps!
I know I’m in the minority though!

dudsville Sun 27-May-18 10:00:12

Yes! What the heel are they up to anyway? Creepy ass cold drinking mfs.

LanguidLobster Sun 27-May-18 10:01:09

Well that's told me grin

I know I'm being unreasonable but it does give me the shudders when someone rejects a teapot. Not exactly sure why, maybe just being brought up to think of a hot drink as being a convivial thing

BurningGubbins Sun 27-May-18 10:03:49

Yep, definite wanker. I don’t find hot drinks remotely thirst-quenching and would need to have water/squash afterwards as the actual drink. Coffee is grim, tea is fine but gives me a dry mouth, hot choc nice in winter (with a glass of water), but the best hot drink is hot Ribena , surely?

I can’t fathom how people can be so dependent on hot drinks.

EBearhug Sun 27-May-18 10:03:55

I don't like tea or coffee, never have. I will drink some fruit teas in the very depths of winter when it's really cold. I do drink soft drinks, but my preferred drink is tap water.

LaGattaNera Sun 27-May-18 10:05:36

I love the taste of a tea or a coffee and find a hot drink wonderful when I get up and it can fill me up and keep me going between meals, it is a source of comfort to me and I drink it as hot as possible but each to their own. I drink squash too but not first thing. I like a nice milky hot chocolate near bedtime too. If I'm upset a nice hot drink helps me too.

Lovelydovey Sun 27-May-18 10:08:55

You’d hate me then. I drink water (very cold plain water best), the very occasional glass of real fruit juice or white wine (Pinot Grigio or prosecco best). If absolutely pushed I can neck a cup of chamomile or peppermint tea (had to learn to do this to be polite at work when onl6 tea or coffee is served). Not hot (or cold) milky drinks, nothing thick or fizzy or sugary.

LanguidLobster Sun 27-May-18 10:13:16

No I wouldn't hate you Lovely.

I realise I have a slight mental block about hot drinks and was curious about how others felt. It's confirmed I'm a wanker wielding a teapot then smile

I have a friend here tomorrow morning and I'm not sure where he stands on this...good grief <teapots at dawn>

Rainboho Sun 27-May-18 10:15:52

I feel like this too! Its completely unreasonable 😂

YOU DON’T DRINK TEA? WTF?

The only way someone could redeem themselves is if they prefer wine.

Liesmyparentstoldme Sun 27-May-18 10:17:25

I actually feel the same as you OP. I couldn't tell you why though grin

CaoNiMa Sun 27-May-18 10:18:37

Not suspicious as such. Just slightly confused, since I drink literal gallons a lot of tea and like to share the love.

MinaPaws Sun 27-May-18 10:19:42

OP, I do! I have no idea why. Maybe you've uncovered a niche snobbery here.

I didn't trust my ex boss who didn't drink hot drinks or like chocolate. It's unreasonable I know, but I feel people haven't matured if they can't find a hot drink they like. But I'm far more judgemental of people who don't like vegetables. I could never date a man who doesn't eat up his greens.

lanbro Sun 27-May-18 10:20:31

I find it odd but then I find people who say they don't like fish odd....

HolyMountain Sun 27-May-18 10:20:45

My ds1-23 has never enjoyed hot drinks. He’d enjoy an occasional hot chocolate when he was little but that was it.

He’s a cold drinker; milk water, cider or beer.

He’s very nice grin.

EggysMom Sun 27-May-18 10:21:06

I cannot drink coffee, I like it but it disagrees with me (gives me a belly ache). I'm fussy about my tea, it has to be made with boiling-right-now water rather than boiled-30-seconds-ago water, good tea bags, just the right amount of milk ... so I don't risk other people making me a brew. If I'm out at a coffee shop, I'll have hot chocolate as it's the only choice left.

I drink cold water at work. It's easier!

Redcrayons Sun 27-May-18 10:21:58

Yep that's very strange grudge to hold against someone.
My teen son has never had a hot drink either but loves Costa, although that's mostly for the cake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: