Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cornwall in the school holidays - madness?!

(18 Posts)
Cydonia Sun 27-May-18 09:23:09

We’re planning on going to Cornwall on holiday this summer at the end of July, beginning of August. So pretty much the busiest week of the year! Been a few times before but has always been either before or after the main school holidays. I think it might be too busy everywhere, my partner is now reluctant to book in case it is too busy everywhere and I spend all week moaning or saying “ I told you so “ ( as if! )
We have a 6 year old DS who doesn’t like traffic jams or queues. So for those of you with experience of high season Cornwall - is it ridiculously busy? Manageable? Is there anywhere as nice as Cornwall but not so busy?! We are in Cumbria so it’s a hell of a trek to be disappointed! Thanks in advance!

Temporaryanonymity Sun 27-May-18 09:24:52

Pembrokeshire or Ceredigion is what you want.

papayasareyum Sun 27-May-18 09:26:08

we’ve been there and it was fine. I was prepared for hell, but it was absolutely fine. No traffic jams at all. We were on the Devon/Cornwall border though, which saved us a hideous drive, but still close to all the gorgeous Cornish villages, beaches etc

papayasareyum Sun 27-May-18 09:26:25

and we went at the same time you’re planning

ScoobyGangMember Sun 27-May-18 09:26:29

I'm Cornish and adore Cornwall but it's so busy in the summer now I'll never go again in the school holidays.

Branleuse Sun 27-May-18 09:28:04

have you considered Brittany?
landscape is similar to Cornwall but without the crowds.
slightly better/more reliable weather too

Cydonia Sun 27-May-18 09:28:43

Hmm, we were thinking of Wales too. It does seem to have got a lot busier compared to when we first started going.

Mrscog Sun 27-May-18 09:28:44

Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion are not a substitute in my experience. Beautiful coastline yes, but not the same vibe as Cornwall.

DragonMamma Sun 27-May-18 09:29:05

I am from Wales but visit Cornwall regularly and I would also second Pembrokeshire as a less-busy alternative to Cornwall during the school holidays. My DC spend a couple of weeks in West Wales over the school holidays and never have issues with having to queue loads. The M4 past Carmarthen can be busy at certain points but it’s never bumper to bumper (like the A30 gets anyway!)

BrutusMcDogface Sun 27-May-18 09:30:03

We have a 6 year old DS who doesn’t like traffic jams or queues.

This makes me laugh. Who actually does like traffic jams or queues?! hmm

Anyway. We love Cornwall and always go in school holidays; just leave at ridiculous o'clock and aim to arrive at holiday home changeover time to get a parking space (or even better, rent a place that has one allocated). You are leaving it a bit late to book, though!

South Wales is stunning and nowhere near as busy.

Cydonia Sun 27-May-18 09:30:35

Ooh no, have not considered Brittany! I will have a look, but think I would struggle to persuade my DP that France is a good idea. I suggested Euro camp but he didn’t seem keen.

CallingDannyBoy Sun 27-May-18 09:30:55

We’ve been in August a lot and it’s been fine. We live in Yorkshire and set off about 5am in the morning though to miss traffic jams. We have breakfast on the way and lunch in Devon. We usually stay close to Devon / Cornwall border. Do the same on the way back it’s tiring but it’s a clear run. Have a great time.

Cydonia Sun 27-May-18 09:32:53

BrutusMcDogface yes that’s a good point, but I just can’t cope with the moaning! Whenever we go to theme parks etc he refuses to go on anything with a queue! And yes, we are discovering a lot of places are booked up....

LoniceraJaponica Sun 27-May-18 09:32:54

We have been in August and it is easy to avoid the crowds once you are there. The problem is getting there. Avoid Padstow because it is insanely busy. Also avoid driving on the motorways on any August Saturday. It took us over 9 hours to drive from Barnsley to Padstow one year. The M5 was a car park.

MrsDilber Sun 27-May-18 09:38:34

I'm in Cornwall now and it is really busy. It wouldn't stop me avoiding it, but it is chockablock. Should ease up a bit after the bank holiday though.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Sun 27-May-18 09:39:03

The only thing you might find is that much of the reasonably-priced and best located accommodation is fully booked by now, so it will be the pricier places or those further away from the beach that will be left, which may be fine for you depending on what you want.

WantingMuchMore Sun 27-May-18 09:40:05

Used to go every year, first week in August with two under 8, its fabulous. Just leave very early, dont stop for breakfast until you're passed Bristol and you'll be absolutely fine but yes to the booking an holiday cottage with parking. Makes a huge difference.

Cydonia Sun 27-May-18 09:50:39

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately we will have to travel on a Saturday but we do usually leave at about 4am so traffic not so bad. I was thinking more about the traffic when you’re there going off to different parts for the day. We’re looking at holiday parks, some of them do still have availability but tends to be either the top of the range caravans ( out of price range! ) or the scabby chalets! Hmmm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: