Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Nearly 11 YO DD still wetting the bed

(11 Posts)
MagnifyingGlassSearch Sun 27-May-18 07:08:31

on average three times a week. The thing is she stopped for nearly two years when she was about 7, and then started again. How can I help? She's about to start secondary school and this is affecting residentials, sleepovers...

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sun 27-May-18 07:12:34

Have you seen the GP?

Happygolucky009 Sun 27-May-18 07:19:51

Contact your school nurse for support and advice, most can be contacted via health visiting teams if your school is closed next week.....

In the meantime

Is your drinking enough in the daytime? If she is reducing quantities the bladder may be sensitive and unable to hold much, so ensure she drinks plenty in the day....

Reduce or avoid dark drinks / caffeine drinks (thinking tea coffee cola blackcurrent juice drinks) these all irritate the bladder

A couple of hours before bed cut out all drinks and ensure bladder is emptied an hour before bed. When going to bed empty bladder again.

Goid luck x

AgedTawnyPort Sun 27-May-18 07:26:53

I would go to the doctors as well if you haven't already. DD was 7 or 8 before she was 100% reliable. You can borrow a bedwetting alarm from most NHS enuresis clinics. I bought one and it didn't work, woke everyone else up apart from DD.

It is horrible, both for her and for you, poor things.

crocodileshavenoears Sun 27-May-18 07:30:55

Have you tried a bedwetting alarm? My DS (10) has just started using one and in 3 weeks he's gone from about five nights dry in his entire life to 5 nights in a row dry twice (and still counting- hopefully 6 tonight). It goes off as soon as it senses wetness, getting them in the habit of waking - my DS is such a deep sleeper he was just sleeping on, wet or not, so the alarm is really helping.

MagnifyingGlassSearch Sun 27-May-18 07:41:24

Yes we have tried a bed wetting alarm in the past, the chummy, and she hated it. Was fiddly, uncomfortable and woke the whole family up. I suspect she's just a really deep sleeper but I can't understand why she stopped for so long and then started again. With the alarm, I found that it was causing my DD a lot of stress because it was so unpleasant; she hates the sound of alarms anyway, who doesn't, and this just added to the stress.

We have mentioned this to the GP a couple of times. Her approach has been pretty much nothing can be done, if you go the clinic route she'll end up in medication, is that what you want??

We do restrict drinks after 6 and don't let her drink anything that isn't water. I am broken hearted for her to be honest, I think this has taken its toll on her self esteem...

I might buy this other alarm: www.amazon.co.uk/DryEasy-Bedwetting-Control-Selectable-Vibration/dp/B00LX0OV2E/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?keywords=bed+wetting+alarm&dpID=51bkKeOK72L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1527403124&dpSrc=srch&sr=8-2

Anyone used it?

JeanMichelBisquiat Sun 27-May-18 08:09:36

If she stopped for two years then started again, you should get her checked by GP. It can be a sign of constipation, for example.

MagnifyingGlassSearch Sun 27-May-18 08:13:49

But to my knowledge there's no issues with number 2s...

40yearsyoung Sun 27-May-18 09:19:12

Hi, I can sympathise as DS9 has suffered continually with night time enuresis. I would encourage you to go to the clinic as it really helped DS to speak with someone who was able to reassure him it was very common and would stop in time. The alarm did help and whilst it didn't eliminate the problem it did wake him as soon as started weeing so he could run to the bathroom. We also tried the demessopressin (sp) for 3 weeks in the build up to school residential with limited success but it's not intended for long term use. DS also attended cub camp and brought a spare sleeping bag and multiple pairs of the same pjs so he can just swap items into a binbag. Cub leaders are very understanding and will swipe any evidence from the tent to avoid embarrassment and I'm sure school teachers wld do the same. Also please bear in mind it's a physical issue not emotional and is therefore beyond their control x

crocodileshavenoears Sun 27-May-18 10:02:00

The alarm you linked to is the one we have. You can adjust the volume or have it on vibrate only. It wakes me, but doesn't wake his brother (and we have very thin walls).

JeanMichelBisquiat Wed 30-May-18 08:39:53

OP, you can have a considerable build up in the colon without it being apparent. I'm not at all saying it's definitely attributable to that, just that I'd want other health issues, including that, ruled out by a medical professional if my child had been dry at night for two years and then started wetting again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: