Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can ANYONE sing?

(19 Posts)
blacklister Sat 26-May-18 22:59:10

I have been having a debate with an acquaintance this evening. She is a singing teacher and says that she can get anyone singing nicely.

I disagree (though I am not qualified in any way, shape or form). I don't think the best vocal coach in the world could get my singing sounding any nicer than a cats chorus. I love singing, but no one else likes me to sing grin (so i do it in the car where no one can hear me with the radio turned up loud!) I'm completely tone deaf and when I sing it's a horrible sound. No tune at all.

Thoughts?

AnneLovesGilbert Sat 26-May-18 23:00:21

She should meet my dad and one of my brothers. Wonderful men. Tone deaf. Can’t sing a note.

Jaxtellerswife Sat 26-May-18 23:01:27

I'm diabolical. Truly, awful. I don't believe anyone can help!
In my mind I'm great of course

angryburd Sat 26-May-18 23:02:47

I don't think so. I think people who naturally can sing can be taught to sing better, but if you naturally sound like a bag of cats then no amount of lessons are going to change that.

CantankerousCamel Sat 26-May-18 23:03:08

Yes, everyone can (and should) sing

RomaineCalm Sat 26-May-18 23:07:05

In private I have a starring role in Les Miserables and I am pretty sure that I am destined for fame and a Damehood.

In reality I sound like a hippo being strangled and I can't imagine that any singing teacher could do anything with such a terrible voice.

To be fair I'm still traumatised from school choir where the music teacher would go down the line ordering sing... sing... sing... mime... sing... mime... I was a 'mime'.

Murane Sat 26-May-18 23:12:55

Most people can improve their singing ability, but only to the extent of sounding "nice". The tone of your voice is something you're born with, some people have fabulous voices and some don't. You can't teach someone to be a superstar.

DramaAlpaca Sat 26-May-18 23:15:04

She'd have her work cut out with me! I do sing, but only in the car. I'm not allowed to sing in the house, apparently I sound awful according to my DC sad

Anewme2018 Sun 27-May-18 15:31:28

My dh can sing - absolutely gorgeous, it really is such a waste, he isn’t a rock star. Even his speaking voice is divine. I on the other hand, have always believed myself to be tone deaf. However, I LOVE singing and am partial to a bit of karaoke. DH is of the school of thought, that yes, you can be taught to sing. So why not give it ago! Once I get a keyboard to practice on, DH is going to teach me.

frasier Sun 27-May-18 15:35:57

I sing (stage school child for a while), DH isn’t bad, DS is amazing. So maybe there is a genetic element to having a good voice?

My sister was quite bad... but had lessons as an adult and improved (apparently, haven’t heard her!)

MiddleClassProblem Sun 27-May-18 15:37:48

I mean... not everyone can speak so I wouldn’t say anyone can sing.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Sun 27-May-18 15:43:40

I sing in a community choir. There are no auditions so anyone can join. In the main, most people have a passable voice and can keep in tune, although wouldn’t necessarily be solo material.

One lady I often have the misfortune to stand next to is utterly tone deaf bless her. She kind of goes up and down at the right times, but totally misses the notes altogether and then questions the choir leader about whether she’s teaching things right! I’d have more sympathy for her terrible singing if she weren’t such a know it all.

WhiskeySourpuss Sun 27-May-18 15:44:01

As DD (now 18) once told me after a particularly rousing absolutely shockingly bad rendition of "I wanna dance with somebody" & a discussion about my singing abilities in the car "everybody can sing mum... some people just don't sound very good" obviously she didn't mean me

haverhill Sun 27-May-18 15:44:53

I think most people can be taught the correct breathing and modulation to sound OK singing. It’s a bit subjective anyway; I find many modern pop singers nasal and whiny. One of my favourite singers doesn’t have a very powerful technique but the emotion in his voice makes his songs beautiful.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Sun 27-May-18 15:45:41

To be fair I'm still traumatised from school choir where the music teacher would go down the line ordering sing... sing... sing... mime... sing... mime... I was a 'mime’ shock that’s terrible! But maybe I should mention it to my choir leader

ShackUp Sun 27-May-18 15:47:48

I think tone deafness is a spectrum.

I've got perfect pitch and sing quite nicely (also a musician so know what I'm meant to do, engage the diaphragm etc).

I have friends who sing in a monotone with zero rhythmic accuracy. I don't think they could ever be taught to sing well, they lack basic awareness of the musical elements.

ShackUp Sun 27-May-18 15:48:39

Sorry, meant to say most people are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, not amazing but not totally whiny/out of time.

PastBananas Sun 27-May-18 15:51:23

Singing teachers always say this. That's because they want to take people's money for lessons. They are hardly going to tell half their customers that they couldn't carry a tune in a bucket grin

pigpoglet Sun 27-May-18 15:56:11

I've sort of taught myself to sing , I've had no lessons ever or stage school type stuff . Was never into drama but I WANT to sing well so I sing all the time and practice . I think my voice is getting better as I get older if that's possible .. I do think if I had lessons I could probably be fairly good .. I'm not going to though .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: