Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I'm getting rid of all my "thinner" clothes!

(12 Posts)
Itscurtainsforyou Sat 26-May-18 22:12:20

Just been into the loft and retrieved two huge laundry bags of clothes I'd packed away for when I lost 5 stone weight.

With the exception of a couple of tshirts and trousers, I've gone through them all and put them in a charity bag or in the eBay pile (especially those that still have the labels on... blush).

I'm equal amounts embarrassed at my hoarding/optimism about losing weight and relieved they're no longer (almost literally) hanging over me.

Has anyone else done this? Make me feel slightly better?

seizethecuttlefish Sun 27-May-18 04:39:25

I did. Like you kept some but looking through them I realised I would never wear most of ghem, even if I lost weight. I lost 50lbs last year and it was great to try on the remaining clothes but out of a wardrobe full, I was left with 3 or 4 things I would actually wear. I felt like it took a pile of pressure off.

FelixCited Sun 27-May-18 06:52:17

4 years later I’m back in mine.. miracles do happen grin

Bettyfood Sun 27-May-18 06:54:10

If you lose all the weight, you deserve new clothes, in my book.

lljkk Sun 27-May-18 06:55:23

fashions change, though. Sounds like sensible decluttering to me!

Hippywannabe Sun 27-May-18 07:55:35

I just joined Ww this week and am embarrassed to admit that I have 10 80l storage boxes of clothes that don't fit. DH and I are this week moving them to the garage and out of the spare room.
I have a special event happening at Xmas so am determined that whatever I don't fit into by then, will be going. It is one of those events where there will be photos forever and I have mentally accepted if I don't do it now, I will never do it.
On the plus side, most of it is fantastic stuff from Next etc which I purchased for very little from charity shops and it means I will have a complete wardrobe in every size as I go down.

frasier Sun 27-May-18 07:57:04

I’m getting back into mine but realised they are all a bit shabby now. Going to buy new after the summer.

Johnnycomelately1 Sun 27-May-18 08:34:13

I jettison anything that doesn't fit and anything that wasn't worn at all in the last season (so if I didn't wear a summer item at all that summer, and summer's now over it goes- we have very clearly defined seasons where I live ). I've regretted it maybe once.

Also agree with fashions moving on- I kept jeans I wore pre-first pregnancy and by the time I got back into them post second pregnancy (only 3 years in total) they looked so dated.

Teateaandmoretea Sun 27-May-18 09:08:14

I got out my pre pregnancy clothes after 5 years of not being able to get into them and they looked absolutely ridiculous.

dudsville Sun 27-May-18 10:09:43

I did this a few years ago. It's fabulous isn't it! I thought it was more shaming to be keeping things I couldn't possibly wear, than the hoarding aspect.

BusterGonad Sun 27-May-18 10:15:21

I've sold all of my clothes that are a size too small on eBay, I've made a lot of money as it appears to be a brand people love and I've reinvested the money in clothes a size up and a style that suits me. Now when I open my wardrobe I see clothes that are beautiful, fit me and don't make me mad with myself for not losing that extra stone and a half! I've not missed anything I've sold as yet!

IJustHadToNameChange Sun 27-May-18 10:22:16

It is liberating. I did this.

I did lose about 3 stone over 18 months and was left with a random selection of clothes I had shrunk out of and some I had bought in a fit of optimism for when I'd reach my ideal weight.

All charity shop items, as there was no point buying new if I was going to carry on losing weight.

I was stuck in a looooong plateau, the clothes had been on my rails and in storage boxes for over a year.

They went. I feel a lot better. It almost feels like the pressure is off.

I still need to lose more weight, but I'm not faced with all my failures when I need to get dressed in the morning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: