Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Building site next door using our outside tap

(64 Posts)
flumpybear Sat 26-May-18 05:18:02

Hi
Just wondered if a building site next do e to your house asked you to use some water from your external tap as they were having difficulty getting a water supply and it was going to take a few more weeks, would you allow it? They've said they'd reimburse but no idea what to 'charge'
Thanks

QuinquiremeOfNineveh Sat 26-May-18 05:31:51

No, because I'm on a water meter, and even with a promise of reimbursement I wouldn't want someone using my water supply for 'a few weeks'.

iheartmichellemallon Sat 26-May-18 05:34:45

Personally I'd say no as I wouldn't want the builders to have access to the back of my house & I also wouldn't want the hassle of the excess water charge as your water provider will re calculate your monthly payments based on increased usage. (You would get that back eventually but it's additional hassle for no reward).

AlonsoTigerHeart Sat 26-May-18 05:34:49

No, doubts they will pay and it would up my bill next year

CantankerousCamel Sat 26-May-18 05:36:00

I would say yes. As I’m not a complete arse and they’re stuck.

I would probably have some little jobs for the builders to do rather than reimbursement though.

flumpybear Sat 26-May-18 06:15:43

Thanks, I think we will but good point about it putting water bill up next year

I'll say to use respectfully and not leave it running and estimate how much they've used

We're hoping to do some building work soon too so yes perhaps they'll help us with some things later in their build

AgentProvocateur Sat 26-May-18 06:38:11

I’d say the same as @cantankerouscamel

sleep5 Sat 26-May-18 06:54:07

Sounds like they're just trying to getting out of paying water rates.

If you're not on a meter then just ask for an amount upfront.

If you're on a meter then you need something in writing from them and ask for a £500 deposit which you'll refund when you have the bill. It is very easy to use hundreds of pounds of water a month as you're also being charged for disposal of a proportion of the water. They'll be using a lot of water for concrete, hosing down and so on.

AlonsoTigerHeart Sat 26-May-18 07:01:10

They are not stuck. How do you think everyother building site gets water? They are just picking the lazy solution that could cost the op a large amount of money.
They wont just be filling a bucket in The moring, they need a shit load of water

Heismyopendoor Sat 26-May-18 07:04:40

No way would I let them do that.

Bowlofbabelfish Sat 26-May-18 07:07:36

Absolutely not. They will have legit sources. Turn the tap off!

Undercoverbanana Sat 26-May-18 07:09:48

They will be using a lot of water. You are going to pay for that.

Surely they check that they have access to all the resources they need before starting a job? They don’t sound very professional.

DartmoorDoughnut Sat 26-May-18 07:10:09

Nope

Mayra1367 Sat 26-May-18 07:10:25

Definitely no , even if they do pay it will mess up the calculations for your direct debit for years to come . Not worth the hassle. They would have to find their own solution if you didn’t have an outside tap.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 26-May-18 07:10:39

No way! They will use loads of water.

Cleanerswin Sat 26-May-18 07:13:21

Your water supplier might be interested that you’re supplying a commercial user under a domestic contract.

NotARegularPenguin Sat 26-May-18 07:13:40

How much water do they think they will need? When you say building site is it one extension or twenty houses being built? How much water does it take to mix cement? I’m guessing quite a bit?

I wouldn’t be happy but if you’re on a meter you can take meter readings and then maybe work out a price?

PlumsGalore Sat 26-May-18 07:22:24

I wouldn't want them traipsing in and out of my garden in their muddy boots daily, let alone the impact on my metres water bill. Turn the tap off indoors because they will likely try to use it when your not there.

NotARegularPenguin Sat 26-May-18 07:25:57

If you turn it off indoors make sure it isolates your outside tap, mine doesn’t. I have to turn it off in the street for that.

MrsWombat Sat 26-May-18 07:31:17

I would say no, but would happily fill their kettle for them if I was in.

Zampa Sat 26-May-18 07:33:59

If you decide to proceed, please get some money to front as a deposit. I fear that you would never get paid or that it would take a long time for them to settle up.

llangennith Sat 26-May-18 07:35:25

Definitely not! If you’re nervous about saying no just tell them you’re water metered and don’t want to risk it.
All the time they’re using that tap your water pressure in the house will drop.
They’re builders, they’ll manage.

TERFragetteCity Sat 26-May-18 07:40:11

Do you have a licence to supply water? If not then no.

HoppingPavlova Sat 26-May-18 07:45:55

If you say yes then get the agreement in writing and signed by both parties beforehand. That way if you end up with a massive cost and them refusing to reimburse you can take legal action. Also put in that if legal action must be undertaken to recover outstanding money they will be liable for your legal costs.

I would also get a deposit up front and have the agreement specify that any remainder is refunded to them and any excess over the deposit is paid by them to you within 10 days of billing.

Builders use s shed load of water, agreeing to this is fine but you do need to take the proper steps to protect yourself.

maxthemartian Sat 26-May-18 07:48:59

What's being a complete arse got to do with it? confused
Do you make a habit of handing out free money to random people who ask?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: