Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do eczema creams make you itchy?

(21 Posts)
EleanorLavish Fri 25-May-18 21:45:11

My DS has eczema. We have been using creams for years-recently hydrocortisone and Hope’s relief.
Never see any improvement.
We saw a consultant recently who gave us eumovate and white paraffin spray. But when we use it he itches like mad. I mean really itchy! And his skin looks angry when it’s first on.
To be fair he gets itchy with most creams. He hates really greasy creams. I don’t know what to do. I just want a regular cream I can slap on morning and night and that blooming works!

Joan90 Fri 25-May-18 21:51:11

Anything with paraffin in makes my skin flare up. I'm fine with hydrocortisone but nothing else.

Wolfiefan Fri 25-May-18 21:55:16

If the creams make the skin flare up then I would be looking to change them. Which is he reacting to? Eumovate or the spray?

hungryhippie Fri 25-May-18 21:58:01

He needs to try a different cream. We have been through so many with my son. He reacts to most of them. Go back to the doctor and try something else.

Floweroct2 Fri 25-May-18 22:00:59

My ds had similar reaction to dermal 500, he’s now on cetraben which is amazing for ds it’s not too greasy. We had been using hydromol which I thought was as good as we’d get but he was still itching. Now he’s not itching at all.

thegreatbeyond Fri 25-May-18 22:24:50

Beware of some creams, especially aqueous creams, containing Sodium Laureth Sulfate.

bridgetosomewhere Fri 25-May-18 22:28:26

We’ve been using dream cream from lush for about two years with dd
She has fairly mild excema - arms legs bum
It’s the only thing we have found that works. Top up with hydrocortisone if she has any really red bits and she always has shower not bath.

The dream cream is about £15 a pot I think but lasts ages.
Her skin was always rough before we started using it and now it’s lovely and smooth

Vinorosso74 Fri 25-May-18 22:40:37

DD had a nasty couple of years with eczema and the really thick greasy ointments just made it worse. Cetraben is so much lighter so was so much better. We did need Betnovate to get the worst flare ups down but then could wean off with 0.5% hydrocortisone. She's 8 now and still use Cetraben after baths/showers but her skin is mostly ok.
We use ZeroAQS for washing. She does occasionally use other stuff but try to keep to that.

Wolfiefan Fri 25-May-18 22:43:03

@thegreatbeyond
Aqueous cream is a soap substitute. Not an emollient to leave on the skin.

EleanorLavish Fri 25-May-18 23:11:08

Thank you for replies.
So when you all put the creams on, they don’t make the itching worse? DS literally can’t stop scratching when we put cream on. confused
I’m going to get some Cetraben tomorrow, see how that goes.
He is allergic to nuts and someone said Eumovate has coconut, don’t know if that’s an issue.
Just wish I could hit on what works for him.
When you get something that works do you notice a change quite quickly?
May I also ask what you all use for washing, for body and clothes?
Thanks so much.

Wolfiefan Fri 25-May-18 23:12:58

I am allergic to MI so no liquid detergent and only ecover softener.

EleanorLavish Fri 25-May-18 23:15:42

What is MI Wolfie?
Also, to answer your previous ideation, I’m not sure actually. Both seem to bring on the itch!

Wolfiefan Fri 25-May-18 23:19:26

You shouldn't be using both together so you should be able to tell.
Ah. You are going to test my spelling now! Methylisothiazolinone.
Phew.
It was used as a preservative in paint without issue. Now it's in lots of liquids. Shampoos and shower gels and liquid hand wash and liquid detergent. I'm rampantly allergic to it and apparently so are lots of other people.

Vinorosso74 Sat 26-May-18 00:00:45

I avoided anything perfumed for DD so laundry I use Simply Pure washing tablets you can get them in Sainsburys (They are in a pale pink bag not the deceiving blue bag which says sensitive but contains perfume). Failing that Surcare is good too.
I found Cetraben took a few days to be ok but we really needed the steroid cream to I initially bring down the itching. Maybe try an antihistamine at bedtime for a few days to calm the itch.

EleanorLavish Sat 26-May-18 06:15:39

We were told to used both together? Eumovate first then the paraffin. I thought you always used an ointment and an emollient?

Wolfiefan Sat 26-May-18 08:03:47

Not straight after no. This GP really isn't giving you good advice.

Floweroct2 Sat 26-May-18 08:09:30

With the cetraben we noticed a difference straight away - in a good way. With the dermal 500 we noticed a difference straight away in a bad way but I continued using it for a few days as I thought it would get better. Are you seeing a dermatologist or just gp? We’ve just been referred and the nurses advice was so much better than Drs. Everyone is individual and what works for some doesn’t for others. We tried dream cream, Childs farm all sorts of others that I’d seen worked miracles for others but not for us but think you just need to work through them unfortunately. We had our first dermatologist appt three weeks ago and our treatment plan is: cetraben morning, lunchtime, teatime and half an hour after bath. We’ve got something to put in the bath but I can’t remember what. We then use betnavate (sp?) straight after the bath, apparently it is best used then. We also put it all over his body and a lot more than we’d been using previously - apparently it takes a couple of days for steroids to work on the surface but takes 4 weeks to test below the skin which my gp hadn’t told me as they’d said to stop using it when the eczema disappears. I wouldn’t necessarily advise you do this without medical consultation but the difference for us has been amazing. We have another appt next week where we’ll discuss longer term treatment. Hope you get there soon x

EleanorLavish Sat 26-May-18 08:20:25

It was a Paediatric Consultant actually, for his allergies. He is allergic to nuts.
I will ask for a referral to a dermatologist from the GP I think.

sparklepops123 Sat 26-May-18 08:24:48

Eurax is brilliant at stopping itching and can buy off the shelf

Bekksy Sat 26-May-18 08:44:45

Yes. Creams really really burn if you have eczema. It hurts like hell. Use ointment if you MUST use steroids. Otherwise get a nice oil, doesn't have to be expensive, (coconut, almond, olive) and use that. Wash with sebamed soap.
That simple procedure has resolved over 40 years of very SEVERE eczema for me. Give it a bash. smile

Vinorosso74 Sat 26-May-18 10:01:43

Our GPs referred us to the children's nurse led eczema clinic as he admitted they were more up to date on treatments. They had lots of creams to try in the clinic and prescribed some of them to try. However, one of the nurses clearly hated cats and suggested we got rid of our cat. Cat wasn't the issue at all as DD had more flare ups out of the home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: