Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Calling people ‘dear’ on MN

(21 Posts)
EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 21:42:06

On three threads I’ve read today posters have tried to shut down conversation and make themselves appear superior by calling someone they disagree with ‘dear’. I’m sure those doing it think they sound funny/intelligent/witty but honestly, it just makes you sound like a twat.

Do people speak like this in real life or are the oh so hilarious put downs saved for MN? If you want to argue and debate then do but this patronising bollocks is awful.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 21:42:33

Cue loads of posters saying ‘that’s nice dear’ grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 25-May-18 21:44:37

Generally used to patronise on MN.

I don't know anyone in RL who calls people 'dear' or even worse 'my dear'.

Buzzlightyearsbumchin Fri 25-May-18 21:46:00

That is nice dear grin

People I know irl who do this say sweetheart or pal, dear seems to be saved for MN.

I love a bit of PA behaviour.

Donotbequotingmeinbold Fri 25-May-18 21:46:10

It's a way for obnoxious people to be rude. I hate it.

niknac1 Fri 25-May-18 21:46:25

I remember in the North dear, love were frequently used and they weren’t being condescending just friendly.

AlonsoTigerHeart Fri 25-May-18 21:47:15

U ok hun?

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 21:52:21

grin

elephantoverthehill Fri 25-May-18 21:52:31

Oh dear!

RunMummyRun68 Fri 25-May-18 21:54:18

up north i used to get called 'ducky'.....or 'me duck'

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 21:54:25

niknac definitely not used to be friendly on here. I live somewhere where everyone is called duck (or even shag shock) so I’m well used to over familiar terms of endearment wink
donot has it - obnoxious was the word I was looking for.

DramaAlpaca Fri 25-May-18 21:54:45

Calling someone dear on MN comes across as patronising alright.

I do occasionally use it in real life, only to my DC, but I'm Northern & old so that's my excuse.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 21:55:14

Cross post there with RunmummyRun.

ICantCopeAnymore Fri 25-May-18 21:55:48

ODFOD

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 21:58:34

ODFOD - yeah that’s another that posters overuse thinking they sound funny/original/witty. See also FOTTFSOFTFOSM.
Maybe it’s time for an MN break grin

ICantCopeAnymore Fri 25-May-18 21:59:34

What in fresh hell is that second one?!

Babdoc Fri 25-May-18 22:00:30

Coming from a long line of Geordies I call people “pet”, but never in an attempt to patronise. It’s just a regional friendly term like duck, hen, love, my lover, pal, etc. I think “dear” is the usual word of choice for patronising, as in “Calm down, dear”. Paradoxically, it usually enrages them!

Babdoc Fri 25-May-18 22:02:36

Icantcope, It’s an acronym for “ Fuck off to the far side of fuck and then fuck off some more”!

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 22:03:53

Icantcope it’s ‘fuck off to the far side of fuck then fuck off some more’. Amusing to start with.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 25-May-18 22:06:30

babdoc there’s a world of difference between calling some pet in general conversation and shutting down conversation with something like ‘better go and do some more research dear’. I just know the person typing it is chuckling at how witty they are doing it hmm

ICantCopeAnymore Fri 25-May-18 23:13:42

Bloody hell, that's worse than ODFOD!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: