Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you leave work if your partner was at A&E?

(172 Posts)
Shelvesoutofbooks Fri 25-May-18 19:20:41

Just that really, would you consider it an emergency to go to A&E to see your partner if they've broken a shoulder, and would you leave work/school/lunch date for it?

Shelvesoutofbooks Fri 25-May-18 19:21:25

Whoops I was going to post this in chat.

Ivorbig1 Fri 25-May-18 19:21:39

I’d go.

Mrskeats Fri 25-May-18 19:22:15

Lunch date?
This a reverse?

Ivorbig1 Fri 25-May-18 19:22:20

I’d leave wherever I was to give moral support.

MuddyForestWalks Fri 25-May-18 19:22:34

Probably, yes.

DH had to leave work when I broke my leg (he was policing a football match) but I needed him to come get DD as I couldn't take care of her.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 25-May-18 19:22:46

Depends. If I could take a half day without inconveniencing people I probably would. If I had to cancel back to back meetings I probably wouldn’t. I expect I would arrange for them to be collected from the hospital but not necessarily by me. If I had a day off I’d go, although wouldn’t want to take the children.

Windmyonlyfriend Fri 25-May-18 19:22:49

For a broken shoulder? Yes, because I’d assume he’d need a lift home!

PaintBySticker Fri 25-May-18 19:23:16

Yes I would. Unless absolutely impossible.

Armchairanarchist Fri 25-May-18 19:23:34

No, unless he asked. I spend a lot of time in A&E and his worrying drives me mad so I send him home and I don't want to be there unless I'm forced.

PuppyMonkey Fri 25-May-18 19:23:35

With a broken shoulder I would yes as I’d assume I’d have to drive them home.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Fri 25-May-18 19:23:53

Yes i would leave to see dh in a&e. Unless I couldn't get the time off but would be there asap.

ChaChaChaCh4nges Fri 25-May-18 19:23:55

I wouldn’t leave work, assuming that my partner was capable of managing his medical care himself.

I would leave a social event.

DevilsAttic Fri 25-May-18 19:24:04

Nope I'd leave work if it was DC and pick up DC from school or sort something out. I wouldn't expect DH to either

SecretStash Fri 25-May-18 19:25:01

Hmm probably not to be honest. I would be in the way and not of much help.
If he was in a bad way and needed surgery then yes I would.
I would expect to be the one to have the kids and make sure they are sorted and DH had everything he needed.

When I had appendicitis I had to go in via ambulance. DH didn’t come home from work to be with me, he stayed at home and looked after the kids which was exactly what I needed!
Same when I needed a medical management. I needed to know the kids were at home being looked after by him.

agnurse Fri 25-May-18 19:25:19

For a broken shoulder it would depend on the hospital for me. If it was in our community I would probably not go, simply because our hospital is rural and doesn't have paid parking, plus it's not far from our house and we have friends who might be able to drive him. If it was in one of the larger city hospitals near where we live, I would likely go, especially because they're closer to my work. I work just over an hour from our home.

Wellthisunexpected Fri 25-May-18 19:25:44

Depends to be honest. I would if I could but if I had a very important meeting, or it was close to DSs pick up time then I couldn't. I'd certainly try though. And yes I'd leave a lunch date.

Perfectly1mperfect Fri 25-May-18 19:26:50

Yes I would.

AnyFucker Fri 25-May-18 19:27:00

Of course

Which one are you, op ?

Moussemoose Fri 25-May-18 19:26:59

If my partner was in A&E absolutely I'd leave work. However, my DP is in the nothing but a a missing leg requires a hospital visit school of thought.

SkyZoomerChase Fri 25-May-18 19:27:15

I would ask how painful it was and if he wanted me there, I doubt he would though he'd probably tell me he'd see me at home later and I'd say the same.
When DC have been in hospital DP has left work (meningitis, sepsis twice and blood transfusion) but for chest infections he's waited until after work.
Id say unless its something possibly serious like a car accident then it's not an emergency where its necessary to leave work, but would offer knowing its just a gesture that would be turned down.

Llanali Fri 25-May-18 19:27:20

I probably wouldn’t leave work, but I would visit if I wasn’t working or was at a social function. I wouldn’t sit at home watching tv whilst DH was in hospital, but nor would I rush over from a meeting.

Assuming no reason to think DH was incapable of dealing with medica
Professionals regarding his own care.

LizzieSiddal Fri 25-May-18 19:27:22

Of course I would. It’s what a caring partner does, if at all possible.

Mrskeats Fri 25-May-18 19:28:39

If you can’t be with your partner for this type of thing then what is the point.
Anyway I think it’s the husband/boyfriend who didn’t turn up I suspect.
If your team is not looking after you they are not your team.

Lookatyourwatchnow Fri 25-May-18 19:28:58

I wouldn't

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: