Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you comfort eat? Why? And what do you eat?

(24 Posts)
CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 25-May-18 18:10:50

Today, I was going to a friends house for a cup of tea, and cracked open a couple of biccies, in the car as I’ve had a shit week dealing with Ex, and DS has gone to him this weekend.
This evening I’ve had some bread with strawberry jam with a cup of tea, whilst slobbing on the sofa.

I don’t drink, so I have to mind my sweet tooth.
I rarely have biscuits in the house, otherwise I could eat a whole packet of Oreos or a bar of chocolate in one go....

tenlittledinosaurs Fri 25-May-18 18:13:11

Sorry about your week ...

Yes- and I'm a savoury person. So endless rounds of marmite toast generally

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 25-May-18 18:18:04

@ tenlittledinosaurs

Thank you, that is kind

SleepFreeZone Fri 25-May-18 18:19:09

Oh yes and always carbs.

DollyTots Fri 25-May-18 18:22:22

Macaroni cheese

Mash with really thick gravy 😆

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Fri 25-May-18 18:23:08

Yes I do. I love anything sweet and have to really control myself. When I've had a bad day I love takeaways but I've had to cut down on them recently.
I have young DC and my days can be quite stressful. I don't drink much or smoke, so food is an outlet for me in a way.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Fri 25-May-18 18:23:09

I definitely reward myself with food when I've had a lousy day. I can slalom from green Pringles to maltesers and back until both packets are empty.

I don't even feel bad about it tbh, since I eat well in general.

Whyohwhy65 Fri 25-May-18 18:23:24

Crisps. Crisps and more crisps. I eat when I'm bored. I can't wait to get back to work

Moominfan Fri 25-May-18 18:26:14

Yea love me a pizza hut, ben and jerrys, dark chocolate just all the healthy stuff

Highhorse1981 Fri 25-May-18 18:31:12

I don’t, but no judgement here!

Sometimes I’ll have a couple of bowls of really rich delicious musueli before going to bed when I’m not hungry at all, so I suppose that is a bit of a “comfort” eat. But it’s not actually related to making me feel better. It’s more a really lovely, albeit fairly regular, treat.

If I need comfort, I tend to go for a run or arrange a coffee/drink with friend.

Highhorse1981 Fri 25-May-18 18:32:32

I wonder if it because of how I grew up. Parents very relaxed about sweets and junk. If you asked, you were able to have it. Consequently I don’t associate junk food as a treat or a comfort. And my siblings and I are all very skinny.

silverpenguin Fri 25-May-18 18:34:07

Chips with lots of salt and tomato ketchup.
Jam doughnuts.
Chocolate (of course).
Toast and butter.

I rarely drink, don't smoke and have never ever done drugs. But food is my vice!

Argeles Fri 25-May-18 18:38:49

Tonight it consists of:

Bottle of sweet & fruity rosé
Peri Peri crisps - share bag size (I’m not sharing!)
Sesame prawn toasts
Pizza Express Mozzarella pizza
Garlic bread
Chips

Haven’t comfort ate & drank like this in ages. I’ve had a shit week. Fucking bring it on.

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 25-May-18 18:40:41

Oatcakes and cashew nuts.

Bluntness100 Fri 25-May-18 18:42:20

I'm not sure it's comfort eating as such, more boredom, not giving a shit or "fuck it" eating.

I'm low carbing, so no I don't to be honest, but when I am eating carbs, then yes, I can put away a tub of Ben and jerries, takeaways, and enough chocolate to make people stand back in awe. When low carbing, I suspect because I don't have the insulin spikes, I don't really think to have it so don't, even when I'm drinking. If I do have it it's a deliberate choice and one I control.

As said though, if I'm dealing with insulin spikes, I can put it away and then some. 😳

ProudThrilledHappy Fri 25-May-18 18:43:39

I can definitely crash through an entire packet of biscuits or a tub of ice cream in one go.

Sweets and cakes were rare in our house growing up, they were usually given as a reward for something or a special occasion so I suppose when I think about it I am “rewarding” myself at the end of a long day when I binge. Probably not a healthy attitude but I mostly keep fit and eat well otherwise

breastfeedingdrivingmecrazy Fri 25-May-18 18:44:12

Yes definitely. And boredom eat. Mainly biscuits and ice cream that I can eat in horrendous quantities. I'm not overweight because I'm so aware of my propensity to over eat that I manage to control it most of the time.

StableGenius Fri 25-May-18 18:46:13

I comfort eat because that's how I grew up; I learned very young to see food as compensation for other negative feelings.

I don't do it as much now because I recognise it, but I do fall into it from time to time. Usually anything sweet or salty - roast beef Monster Munch is my particular nemesis.

Thehogfather Fri 25-May-18 18:54:39

No, I do the opposite. If I'm stressed or upset I lose my appetite entirely. It usually takes quite a bit to stress me out though, so hardly regular. Last time was when there was a large possibility a beloved pet was seriously ill, rather than because I've had a bad day. A bad week might reduce my appetite but I can force myself to remember to eat as usual if its minor hassles.

Much as I love my food when I'm hungry I'm not motivated by food/ taste in general which probably explains why people who do go the opposite way. And I suppose as I normally eat what I want, when I want, I don't think of food/ eating as a treat or reward.

CurlyWurlyTwirly Fri 25-May-18 18:55:39

Oh god, I’ve just remembered I’ve got some crisps lurking on top of the fridge. And some cashew nuts. That will definitely be boredom eating. When I’m on my own, I don’t cook a meal so pick...

PistFump Fri 25-May-18 18:56:10

Literally whatever junk I can get my hands on. Has to be junk though 😑

hattiesmumm Fri 25-May-18 19:03:39

Yes. Which is why I’m having weightloss surgery. I can’t seem to stop and end up “self destructive” mode, where I can eat a full take away pizza, or crisps and chocolate. I’m deffo a sweet tooth. I have had way too many take aways lately that it’s embarrassing!! I can’t seem to stop.

Today I had 3 millionaires shortbreads.

LittleMissedTheSunshine Fri 25-May-18 19:37:07

Trying desperately not to at the moment, as I put on a shit ton of weight but yes, in the past I have comfort ate to the point of an eating disorder.

Any and all manner of junk/carb foods including whole family bag of crisps in one go, multiple bowls of cereal, endless toast with butter.

I ended up with a proper junk food addiction, haven't eaten any junk food or sugar now for 6 weeks and feeling miles better, but think I need to keep off it for life or it will just start up again really.

Food really is my drug.

Imchangingmyname Fri 25-May-18 19:50:03

Tonight I had mini breadsticks dipped in Nutella then rolled in chopped hazelnuts. That was before my takeaway blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: