Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Computer Science not for girls?

(208 Posts)
Toolonguntilthenextholiday Fri 25-May-18 17:14:08

My DD is starting her GCSE courses in the autumn and one of her chosen subjects is Computer Science. It’s her favourite subject and she is doing great in it!

Today I got an email from the teacher who will lead the course, requesting that we should reconsider, as DD would be the only girl in the class! He spoke with DD and told me that he sugggested things like Religious Studies or Drama!

However, he agreed that he would still leave the option open for her to join the course.

After school DD told me that she was as speechless as I was and tried to explain to the teacher that she is really not bothered and doesn’t care, as she would like to focus on her work and doesn’t care about the boys. Still, this fossil of a teacher sent me an email questioning my daughters judgment and urging me to reconsider! It took me three emails to shut this down.

I cannot believe that in the 21st century our children are being taught by such bigoted individuals.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Fri 25-May-18 17:19:15

Sounds more like he meant from a loneliness perspective rather than she shouldn’t because she’s female.

Toolonguntilthenextholiday Fri 25-May-18 17:20:20

How is this even relevant? It’s a lesson.

EspressoButler Fri 25-May-18 17:21:33

Perhaps she needs to operate the school computers with a penis.
Could you suggest she takes a dildo in instead? grin

AnduinsGirl Fri 25-May-18 17:22:04

I will go absolutely ballistic at this and contact the head.
Just awful.

AnduinsGirl Fri 25-May-18 17:22:18

*would, not will! Getting a little over involved there...

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 25-May-18 17:22:22

I think an email to the head is in order here, and to the governors if you don’t get anywhere. FFS.

Toolonguntilthenextholiday Fri 25-May-18 17:22:29

It was from the head.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Fri 25-May-18 17:23:17

Ok governors then. Personally I’d be inclined to go to the media...

Whynotnowbaby Fri 25-May-18 17:23:28

I am shocked that this has happened and would imagine the senior staff at the school would be too. I think I might be inclined to contact whoever is responsible for curriculum to question why this sort of message is being given to children.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Fri 25-May-18 17:23:44

out-fucking-ragous.
Complain, complain, complain.

WeAreGerbil Fri 25-May-18 17:24:16

Espresso grin

GallicosCats Fri 25-May-18 17:24:17

shock I would say ignore this teacher, but maybe you need to go above his head and point out that this is actually against the law? Maybe he needs putting out to pasture...

The IT industry is crying out for more girls like your DD. I suggest both you and she keep your eye on the long term benefits of the subject and learn how to deal with sexism like this without getting distracted by it.

Bobbiepin Fri 25-May-18 17:24:40

What bullshit! When I took IT, there were 3 girls in the class and none of us sat together. Does the teacher think she is completely incapable of being friends with/working alongside boys?

UserX Fri 25-May-18 17:24:48

Sounds more like he meant from a loneliness perspective rather than she shouldn’t because she’s female.

If that was the case he would be encouraging more girls to join the class. Sounds like he’s done an awesome job of putting them all off and you DD is the last one. Once he’s got her struck off he can be the king of his all-male empire.

I’d be contacting SLT about this, it’s pure, unadulterated sexism. Horrible.

Whynotnowbaby Fri 25-May-18 17:25:20

The headteacher is the teacher who will lead the course, are you sure? That sounds quite unlikely but yes if that really is the case then contact governors.

NotMeNoNo Fri 25-May-18 17:25:20

It's beyond words. Those of us trying to persuade girls to even think about STEM are sobbing, believe me. I would complain to the governors actually do they know this is going on in the school?

Bobbiepin Fri 25-May-18 17:26:13

Fucking hell, just read your update. Seriously, contact governors. Sexism like this is not acceptable.

Toolonguntilthenextholiday Fri 25-May-18 17:26:14

I am in two minds about taking this further, as I don’t want her to get into trouble and I am worried about the consequences for DD. All I wanted for her space to be guaranteed - even if she is a girl and should be doing needlework hmm.

Toolonguntilthenextholiday Fri 25-May-18 17:27:12

Yes it’s the deputy head teacher, not the head teacher as such.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Fri 25-May-18 17:27:38

Also what nonsense has the school been supporting over the years ( either overtly or by not shutting down stereotypes) so that only one girl wants to do CS?

Toolonguntilthenextholiday Fri 25-May-18 17:29:26

Great point UserX

Why are girls not encouraged to join? I bet more kids are interested in programming rather than history or RE?

PeterIanStaker Fri 25-May-18 17:31:11

You absolutely must not let this idiot make her think she can't be the only girl doing something. During the first 10 years of my IT career, I had no female colleagues - imagine if someone had tried to persuade me to move to the admin department for a bit of company shock

She won't get in trouble for not being able to go without female company for a couple of hours a week.

GallicosCats Fri 25-May-18 17:31:22

Massive cross-post. Name and shame. Publish and be damned. The Paper That Must Not Be Named would love this one.

Governors first though. Or work hard at Maths and take the subject later at A-level (at a better school/college) or degree. It's not compulsory at GCSE.

chocolateworshipper Fri 25-May-18 17:31:40

Espresso grin you get the funniest post of the day award star

OP disgusting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: