Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Smaller house in a nice area, or larger house in a not-so-nice area?

(35 Posts)
AaronPurrSir Fri 25-May-18 15:40:34

Which would you go for if you had to choose?

MrsLettuce Fri 25-May-18 15:42:03

Area that suits my family's needs

formerbabe Fri 25-May-18 15:42:24

Smaller house in a nicer area.

Talking from experience

ButterflyOfFreedom Fri 25-May-18 15:43:29

Location location location!

Iletthedogsout Fri 25-May-18 15:43:35

I live in a not at all nice area and I hate it. I would go smaller house in a nicer area.

CaveMum Fri 25-May-18 15:44:06

Nice area every time.

Better to be the worst house on the best street than the best house on the worst street.

themagicamulet Fri 25-May-18 15:44:18

Location every time, assuming the smaller house is adequate space-wise.

AvoidingDM Fri 25-May-18 15:47:55

Depends on How nice and How not so nice.

If you mean an area with desirable postcode where lots of people are trying to be the Jones' vs a normal ok area.

I'd go normal ok area. Can't be doing with the Jones.

athingthateveryoneneeds Fri 25-May-18 15:49:52

On paper our house is in a not nice area. Rough, really. But our neighbours are lovely and the DC enjoy school. We are happy with our choice.

Brahumbug Fri 25-May-18 15:51:01

You Can change everything about a house except where it is!

SadieHH Fri 25-May-18 15:52:05

I live in a shoebox in the nice part of town. In a heartbeat I'd swap to a bigger house in the not so nice part. Am sick of having no space in the house and having to park three streets away.

formerbabe Fri 25-May-18 15:52:30

Yes it's a balance.

I'd rather live in a boring suburban house with enough bedrooms than live in a one bedroom flat in Chelsea with 3 kids.

Conversely I'd rather live in a small terrace where the kids have to share a bedroom in a nice part of town than live in a four bed semi in a rough part of town.

Donotbequotingmeinbold Fri 25-May-18 15:54:04

Think we need more info about both areas and how each would suit you and your family.

JohnnyCrowsGarden Fri 25-May-18 15:57:51

We have the worst tiny house in a mega posh area. I'd rather that than the other way round...

RunningjustasfastasIcan99 Fri 25-May-18 15:58:02

Smaller. Nicer

alltalknobaby Fri 25-May-18 16:02:57

Smaller in nicer area

AaronPurrSir Fri 25-May-18 16:03:55

Thanks all.

Currently looking to buy a house, DC1 on the way. Budget means we can get either a 3 bed, largish house in a not so great area (not a ghetto, just not so great schools, lots of youths ambling the streets etc) or a 2 bed in a lovely, fairly affluent area with excellent schools. We do intend to have a DC2 at some point so we will eventually grow out of the 2 bed...

helpmum2003 Fri 25-May-18 16:07:09

I would go for nice area with good schools - schooling becomes a nightmare otherwise.

Fortheloveofscience Fri 25-May-18 16:13:16

We bought very small house in nice area and it was 100% the right decision for us. Yes it’s annoying being more cramped than we were before, but the location more than makes up for it and further down the line we might be able to do a loft conversion.

GreatDuckCookery Fri 25-May-18 16:15:51

Definitely the nicer area. You can always extend or move if you have another baby or even put them in the same room for a good while.

TimeToDash Fri 25-May-18 16:30:43

I actually did do this once, when I lived on my own and number of bedrooms didn't matter (sold my 3-bed semi in a not great town for a 2-bed cottage in a pretty village). Now I've got kids and married we've upsized again but also in a nicer area luckily. That's why it's Location, Location Location not Size, size size .

TimeToDash Fri 25-May-18 16:39:25

Having your other comment I'd 100% go for the 2-bed. Schools sound like they will be nicer and 2 kids could share for quite a while. Could poss extend then or the house will prob have kept its value better to upsize in a few years.

Annwithnoe Fri 25-May-18 16:40:13

Smaller house for less sweeping, mopping, painting, upkeep. Nice area to me suggests green spaces, nice neighbors, good schools, low crime, no vandalism. But posh postcode or keeping up with Jones wouldn’t interest me.

Annwithnoe Fri 25-May-18 16:42:17

Sorry, read your update: 100% 2 bed.

ISpeakJive Fri 25-May-18 16:46:43

Based on your particular criteria I would opt for the smaller house. You might not mind so much being in a shitty area when it’s just you and your DP but once children come into the mix, I think it matters very much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: