Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I forgot to take my money out the cash machine. What do I do?

(98 Posts)
SecretStash Fri 25-May-18 10:14:13

Do I call the cash machines bank (Barclays) or my bank (Halifax) to see if the money went back inside?

I could cry. I only withdrew £20 ( ow £40 because I had to go back) enough to get a sandwich which I can’t afford and a taxi which I can’t afford to get the kids from the CM because I haven’t got a car because he one I just bought is dead as a dodo and I’m trying to scrape together every last penny to buy another one tomorrow so I can go to work on sunday (which I can’t get to without a car) in order to pay for all the money I’ve borrowed to buy a car.

Fucking fucking fuck.

Fabellini Fri 25-May-18 10:16:17

Contact your own bank first. Cash machines will take the money back in if it isn’t removed within a certain amount of time, so you may not have lost it. Obviously, if someone came behind you quickly enough, they may have taken it.

QueenOfAccidentalDeathStares Fri 25-May-18 10:16:53

ring them - or pop into the bank if convenient.. The machine would have reswallowed your money, and it will be recredited to your account.

FissionChips Fri 25-May-18 10:18:56

It’s happened to me before, just phone your bank, tell them which cash machine, the time and amount. Mine was put back into my account after a few hours z

Urbanbeetler Fri 25-May-18 10:20:59

They suck the money back after a few seconds so as long as there wasn’t a chancer right behind you, the money will be credited back to your account. Happened to me with £100 - I thought I’d lost it and was devastated.

viques Fri 25-May-18 10:26:35

I'm not sure about the sucking back! I found £80 in a cash machine as I walked by it and there was no one within close distance.

I picked the money up and hung about the machine for about 10 minutes in case anyone came back but no one did. It was at Canary Wharf station so the chances were they had caught a train. There was a charity collector on the station concourse so he got £40 and the other £40 went to a charity I work for.

sorry for your loss OP, sounds as though it has all come at the wrong moment for you.

amusedbush Fri 25-May-18 10:31:30

I forgot to take my money just a few weeks ago and I phoned my bank as soon as I realised. The area around the cash machine had been totally empty while I was out there so I was fairly confident that nobody had taken it, but the bank couldn't tell straight away if the money had been credited.

A couple of days later I got text from the bank saying that they would be returning the money to my account and the next day it was there.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 25-May-18 10:33:47

What amusedbush said, I did it last year during a senior tramadol haze moment.

rainbowdashflip Fri 25-May-18 10:37:36

I picked the money up and hung about the machine for about 10 minutes in case anyone came back but no one did. It was at Canary Wharf station so the chances were they had caught a train. There was a charity collector on the station concourse so he got £40 and the other £40 went to a charity I work for.

That's an awful thing to do. Regardless of the charity element that was theft. You should have contacted the cash machine operator or handed that in to the police/lost property.

Theft isn't justified because you have it to charity confused that could have been a weeks shopping plus gas and electric for someone angry

nauticant Fri 25-May-18 10:38:47

I've done this twice. One time no one noticed, the money was sucked back into the machine, and it was credited back to my account. The other time, a star of a person saw the money, and took it and handed it to that particular branch from where I was able to claim it.

Whatever might have happened, check with the bank.

MrsBlondie Fri 25-May-18 10:40:23

I did this once and someone HAD taken it - I was devastated. Thankfully by bank did refund me - they must have sensed my distress!

SecretStash Fri 25-May-18 10:41:13

I just spoke to Halifax and it will either go back into the account at midnight when the bank recognises that it’s £20 over.
Or Halifax investigate it and send them money back to me anyway.

Thank GOODNESS. I’m so seriously painfully poor.

nauticant Fri 25-May-18 10:41:14

I agree rainbowdashflip. I very much appreciated someone doing the right thing and not using my money as a way to make them feel good about themselves.

FullOfJellyBeans Fri 25-May-18 10:51:52

flowers Oh no! I've done exactly the same thing before at a time I really couldn't afford to be throwing away cash. Hopefully you get it back!

Mhw02 Fri 25-May-18 10:56:08

This happened to me once - £90 - my weekly cash budget. Phoned the bank, and they said they would "investigate", it wouldn't be instantly recreated as it was a Post Office cash machine. Couple of weeks later I got a letter saying £30 had been sucked back in and that's what they'd be refunding me. I was gutted. I'm guessing some swine nicked the other £60, though logistically stealing part of the money must have taken some effort!

blaaake Fri 25-May-18 10:56:39

Jesus Christ @viques I'm not normally one to get outraged but that's bloody theft!

Mhw02 Fri 25-May-18 10:56:41

Recreated? Recredited!

AnnabelleLecter Fri 25-May-18 10:58:59

I did it and it was handed in. I was so relieved as I was a broke student with a head full of other things as I'd just come back from a funeral.

Dancingmonkey87 Fri 25-May-18 11:02:55

When I lived in York I was walking pass the cash money and say 20quid sticking out I took it into the bank and they could look at the ctv and time it was withdraw. Ex said I should have kept it but it wasn’t my money to take. Hope it gets credited back.

FiveShelties Fri 25-May-18 11:05:10

I am sure the rightful owner was really grateful hmm

peterpiperpickle Fri 25-May-18 11:05:22

I agree @rainbowdashflip. You should have contacted the cash machine operator as it wasn't your money to give away.
Glad you've sorted it OP and hope things look up for you soon flowers

SallySynonym Fri 25-May-18 11:07:32

Glad this has been sorted positively but a word of warning to others; My friend once saw someone walk off without taking their £20 from the machine. She tried to shout to draw their attention but when they didn't turn around she took the money with the intention of taking it to a bank to ask for advice (the person had disappeared into a crown by that point so she couldn't catch up). When she called into the bank later, they were extremely rude to her and got senior management involved, telling her that she had committed theft even if her intentions were good. They made it very clear that she should have left the machine suck the money back and apparently "everyone knows that". She was quite shaken by the whole thing.

viques Fri 25-May-18 11:16:27

rainbowdashflipand other, there was no paper receipt slip in the machine, it was a stand alone machine so no bank or shop to go into,and I was not going to traipse around looking for a bank branch to hand it in to , I could have walked off and left the money there for someone else to pick up but instead I waited hoping for its rightful owner to return. I gave the money to charity as I didn't want it or need it.

I also once found £20 in notes in the gutter quite near a cash machine. I gave that away too. On the bus the other day I saw money on the floor by a girls feet, so I told her about it, don't know if it was hers but it seems likely.

I think I acted properly in all three situations.

ProudThrilledHappy Fri 25-May-18 11:19:16

viques the machine is designed to suck it back in if left long enough

Nicknacky Fri 25-May-18 11:21:33

viques why would you do that?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: