Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Give me your public transport etiquette violations!

(85 Posts)
Thisnamechanger Fri 25-May-18 09:18:11

I know IABU to start another thread on this since they come up about once a fortnight but I've got the rage SO...

- hugging the pole on the tube. You know the main pole in the bit where there are no seats? Some people put their body so close to it you'd feel a right creep trying to get your hand on
- people trying to get a huge bike on a crowded train
- stepping off the tube when it's really busy and then standing stock still looking right and left to get your bearings and blocking the door
- people who stand next to you when it's crowded texting and holding and hot coffee and not holding on when you know it's you that'll get burnt not them if the train stops suddenly

I've just realised how petty I sound but when you spend 2 hours every day on the overground you have time to think about these things! grin

Thisnamechanger Fri 25-May-18 09:20:04

Also olden who cut their nail boak! and people who sing to themselves.

Thisnamechanger Fri 25-May-18 09:20:23

Old men* nails*

amusedbush Fri 25-May-18 09:34:17

I once got on a bus and an older man sitting across the aisle took his shoes off, put his foot on the seat and started really digging in under his massively long, yellow toenails. I physically recoiled when I saw it and felt a bit queasy.

I have no idea what makes someone think that's acceptable.

vampirethriller Fri 25-May-18 10:21:24

People who think being on the phone makes them invisible and that nobody can hear them, and sit beside you talking about the ins and outs of their latest relationship. Pun intended.

IWantMyHatBack Fri 25-May-18 10:25:32

MANSPREADING

TERFragetteCity Fri 25-May-18 10:25:44

There was a man on the tube yesterday - a very packed tube - making noises.

When I say noises it sounded like a werewolf out of American Werewolf in London.

We couldn't see him. We thought a huge rabid dog had been brought on. Everyone was looking around - with fear in their eyes - every time he started up. Honestly i have never heard anything like it. Like amplified snoring growling and gnashing all at once. Horrid.

When loads of people got off, I could get to the other side, and it was a guy in the corner, had slid down so his feet were across the aisle so nobody could get past, and he was just completely awake, but making these horrendous noises. I could not get off that tube fast enough.

Never heard anything like it.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Fri 25-May-18 10:36:30

People who get on the bus...and then just stop and spend their journey standing in the very narrowest part of the bus so that everyone who has to get on or off has to squeeze past them. It drives me nuts! Just go and find a seat, or at least move down the bus a bit.

iklboo Fri 25-May-18 10:42:07

People kicking my stick from under me in their rush to get on and get a seat

The bloke who gets on with his adult scooter then does an about face as soon as he steps in so he's basically blocking the door.

The people who take up four seats with bags & stuff.

People who carry out loud conversations with the person next to them so the whole carriage can hear their banal wittering.

PastaOfMuppets Fri 25-May-18 10:42:28

Picking stuff out of their ears, inspecting their haul ... and eating it confused

A guy on my train this evening making gross 'jokes' on the phone with a mate, about going to the strip club that night to see another mate's girlfriend getting naked ... He was surrounded by women and no one batted an eyelid even though he was foul

Hereward1332 Fri 25-May-18 10:43:26

Sitting in an aisle seat and leaving the window empty on a busy train to discourage anyone from sitting next to you

Putting handbag or rucksack on seat next to you for same reason as above.

Getting off the RH side of a double door and turning immediately left, causing anyone getting off to have to stop

Obviously watching TV or listening to music on a phone without earphones

Feet on seats.

Eating smelly food - even if you're starving it's a breach of etiquette.

Leaning your bike against train doors to reserve a place at the front of the queue to get off

At stations (or on pavements) dragging a wheelie case behind you and meandering across the platform - your a long vehicle!

Hereward1332 Fri 25-May-18 10:43:38

*you're

TantrumsAndBalloons Fri 25-May-18 10:47:54

People getting on the wrong part of the train
On the fast train you either get in at the middle end to middle carriages if you are getting off at seven sisters and the front 3 carriages for Liverpool Street
It infuriates me beyond belief when people for seven sister get on at the front carriage and everyone has to move out of the way for them to get off
It also infuriates me when people get on in the middle carriage blocking the doors when they are getting off at Liverpool Street so they are entirely in the way of people getting off.

I do realise how petty this is by the way

Im

smoothieooo Fri 25-May-18 11:22:39

I take that same train Tantrums !

People playing music / videos without headphones irritate me but a guy last week took it to the next level by playing music on his phone at full volume, before lighting a spliff and swigging a beer. When he'd done with both, he threw them out of the window on to the tracks. He basically had a lovely journey with almost an entire carriage free because everyone else was squashed at the other end of the carriage trying to get away!

BreconBeBuggered Fri 25-May-18 11:28:10

People starting their hen/stag party on the train. I get it, there are 25 of you and it's 3 whole hours to Edinburgh. Bring a book. You noisy bunch of bastards.

amusedbush Fri 25-May-18 11:43:32

TantrumsAndBalloons

See, DH and I were in London earlier this month and on the train back to Gatwick it said that people going to Gatwick should use certain carriages. It freaked us out and we were running up and down the platform counting carriages blush

What's the point of it? Do only certain doors open on to the platform? Or is it to stop people shoving on and off?

Narya Fri 25-May-18 11:50:59

Commuters who push, shove, stand on your toes, huff, sigh and show other passive aggressive behaviours. It's no-one else on the train's fault that you have a massive long rush-hour commute to that makes you grumpy. Don't take it out on everyone else by being rude.

mostdays Fri 25-May-18 12:15:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Fri 25-May-18 12:24:55

Essex, innit? Still, always nice to see old folks making their own entertainment.

DappledThings Fri 25-May-18 12:50:41

Trying to get on the tube before everyone has got off. I deliberately shoulder barge anyone who does this to me.

Ignoring the very reasonable request to "please move right down inside the carriage"

ChuffingNorah Fri 25-May-18 13:01:27

People at airport security to whom it comes as a complete surprise when they reach the front of the queue, that they have to put liquids in bags etc.
They're the same people who insist on getting re-dressed right beside the conveyor belt on the other side instead of taking their trays AND MOVING THE FECK OUT OF THE FECKING WAY.

Ketzele Fri 25-May-18 13:02:23

mostdays, I can't possibly open that grin

Give us a clue?

ChuffingNorah Fri 25-May-18 13:04:15

But of advice Ketsele. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it.

halfwitpicker Fri 25-May-18 13:05:38

Cutting nails.
Feet on seats.
Bag on seat when it's busy.
Snoring.
Talking loudly, this annoys me even more when it's on a blue tooth speaker thingy.

Loads more but can't think.

yoyococo Fri 25-May-18 13:07:42

Loved the comment 'Alexa, re-order eye bleach' grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: