Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Irish mumsnetters -today is the day!!

(414 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SnipSnipMrBurgess Fri 25-May-18 09:08:53

Make sure not to wear any slogans or badges on your clothes.
Do not take pictures.
Mark an X in the appropriate box.
Don't spoil your vote by marking outside it.

It's a historic day and for a lot of us, our first chance to vote on this particular issue. Don't waste your vote, get out there and fingers crossed we will make history today.

MadMags Fri 25-May-18 09:10:09

I’m shitting it!

Redcrayons Fri 25-May-18 09:15:58

I'm not Irish, but have been following this. Good luck I hope it goes the right way

Bombardier25966 Fri 25-May-18 09:18:06

Sending love and luck to all our Irish friends today. Giving choice to women that find themselves in a desperate situation is always the right choice.

unintentionalthreadkiller Fri 25-May-18 09:18:11

Why no slogans or badges? I'm not in Ireland but just wondering?

I really really hope this goes the way it should.

Hideandgo Fri 25-May-18 09:19:03

Feel very nervous of the outcome. When will we know the result does anyone know?

HalfStar Fri 25-May-18 09:19:38

Shitting it too. It will be a long day.

Newspeak Fri 25-May-18 09:19:44

Good luck to all our Irish sisters today. This is your day #RepealThe8th gin

Helmetbymidnight Fri 25-May-18 09:22:31

Good luck!

SparklyMagpie Fri 25-May-18 09:24:27

Good luck!

crumpet Fri 25-May-18 09:25:25

When will the result be announced?

OliviaBenson Fri 25-May-18 09:25:35

Good luck. I'm in England and I'm really surprised at the lack of coverage on this. I hope the right decision is made for all women out there x

tsonlyme Fri 25-May-18 09:25:36

Best of luck!

I’m curious re badges & slogans too.

traciebanbanjo Fri 25-May-18 09:27:25

Good luck, but isn't it a forgone conclusion!?!

I don't know anyone that isn't a religious nut job or very old that doest support it

Eenymeeny123 Fri 25-May-18 09:27:30

Feeling very nervous too, if it doesn't get repealed today it will be years before any government will even mention it againsad

Frasa Fri 25-May-18 09:27:31

The badges/jumpers with slogans etc can be seen as canvassing. Canvassing is not allowed at the polling stations so you could be turned away.

turkeyboots Fri 25-May-18 09:27:52

Good luck! Am wearing my Repeal the 8th jumper in solidarity. Can't vote as been out of Ireland too long.

Home tomorrow for the fall out though. Hope it's a day of celebration.

Eenymeeny123 Fri 25-May-18 09:29:09

I don't know Tracie, I am actually surprised at some of the no voters i know, they are neither old or religious.

Frasa Fri 25-May-18 09:29:22

I think the Yes vote will win but I also think the No vote will be bigger than a lot of people are expecting.

MadMags Fri 25-May-18 09:29:28

No slogans or badges because they can stop you voting if you’re seen to be canvassing on the day of election.

The result - it depends. Polls close at 10pm and the count will start. If it’s a landslide one way or another we’ll hear fairly soon. Saturday morning?

I think I’ll be closer than I want to think and I have a horrible feeling the No side will get the victory.

When someone is entrenched in thinking that abortion is killing babies, it’s very hard to make them see a bigger picture.

I’ve had friends be accosted in the street with their children, because they wouldn’t agree with a No campaigner.

When the marriage referendum was happening it was huge and a little contentious. But I’ve never seen visciousness like I’ve seen the last few weeks.

Redcrayons Fri 25-May-18 09:30:29

Badges & Slogans - I think it's because you're not allowed to canvass close to the polling station. I have seen a comment on social media about reporting no voters if they hassle anyone on the way in.
I could easily be wrong, I'm not Irish.

traciebanbanjo Fri 25-May-18 09:33:31

Sends shivers through my spine that people are worried about the vote.

They had a debate on LBC but couldn't discuss it with callers in as no one called in against it and they need to be balanced today!

Shutupanddance1 Fri 25-May-18 09:33:39

I’m Irish and ironically 37 and half weeks pregnant so can’t fly home to vote so hoping that that it will pass.

I’ve one DD and having another DD so praying the Ireland I go home to in 2 years time will be different for them

ThatEscalatedQuickly Fri 25-May-18 09:39:12

Slogans and badges are probably ok actually. I read an article about how both the no and yes sides will have people at polling stations keeping an eye on how things are being conducted. Both sides will probably have badges or items of clothing that will identify them. What is not allowed is approaching anyone or trying to discuss or influence their vote in any way.

It seems largely up to the discretion of the counting officer so it's better to err on the side of safety I suppose and avoid tshirts and badges.

I'm optimistic. Spoke to a lovely bunch of Yes campaigners in our area on Wednesday night who were equally cautiously optimistic. They did say that it's been impossible to know what way anyone would go just by making assumptions. Any preconceptions they had of how someone would vote based on age or location or anything else have been proved incorrect.

Inkspellme Fri 25-May-18 09:44:38

I’m off to vote soon with my DD. Her first time to vote - glad it’s one that feels relevant to her.

You’d think it would be only the old or religious who would be voting no. But it’s not. My 80 year old parents are voting yes. My 30 year old work colleague is voting no. I challenged no campaigners yesterday as they were campaigning outside of my sons school at the school gates. I told them this wasn’t an appropriate place to canvas. They told me I had no compassion and what about all the dead babies. And that’s how the no campaign is often presented. They even had small children holding placards. I’m describing this to try to explain how people are feeling about this and how emotive it inevitably became.

I hope the three yes votes from this house make a difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: