Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone been stung by a jellyfish?

(66 Posts)
Tallace Fri 25-May-18 08:27:53

Thinking of booking a summer holiday in the Med or the Algarve. Its not our usual type of holiday we normally stay in UK or go to northern France but fancy more reliable weather this time.

My only experience of a sun holiday is a visit to the Algarve 25 years ago with my ex. He went in the sea and within 10 minutes had a really painful jellyfish sting.

My kids love playing in the sea. Have you or anyone you know been stung by a jellysish or was my ex just unlucky?

BumbleNova Fri 25-May-18 08:31:50

That's really unusual!? I've never been stung in the med. I've been stung in Fiji and Australia but both were minor. I'm pretty sure there are no stinging jelly fish in the med!

TyrionsNextWife Fri 25-May-18 08:32:41

I’ve been stung, but that was pulling up creels here in Scotland - not very pleasant but the effects didn’t last too long.

I don’t think it’s that common to be honest, loads of people go to resort countries and you don’t really hear about it being a problem.

YoucancallmeVal Fri 25-May-18 08:33:06

The only person i know is my brother who was stung quite badly when he was 6. That was 1982. There probably are still jellyfish but in my experience it's not a major threat!

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 25-May-18 08:35:16

I was stung, paddling in the Irish Sea.

carnitine Fri 25-May-18 08:53:29

Yes, DD and I, in Dubai. It was bloody painful for about 30 mins and then it eased off and was fine, the lifeguard sprayed ammonia on it.

Fluffyears Fri 25-May-18 08:54:09

Nope never been stung but my brother was in Scotland years ago.

Thiswayorthatway Fri 25-May-18 08:56:18

Twice. Both in the Med, South of France and Corsica. But that was 30 years apart. I think I am just unlucky.

Thewhale2903 Fri 25-May-18 08:56:54

When I was about 15 my aunt and uncle took me on holiday to Spain. When we got home my younger cousin fell ill and was taken to hospital and they said that it looked like she has been stung by a jellyfish confused

Conciergeandchocolate Fri 25-May-18 08:57:08

13 times.

Different worldwide locations over 10 years.

It took me 11 years to get back in the sea after I had had enough. I developed a real fear of the ocean.

After this time, we specifically chose our honeymoon destination to be OUTSIDE of jellyfish season.

Took all the strength I had in me, faced my demons to paddle in the Caribbean over a decade of missing the water, took 3 steps and found another bastard right in my line of vision. angry

Cue a big panic attack, paramedics & a whole different honeymoon sad

Mayhemmumma Fri 25-May-18 08:58:02

I was in Turkey. Horribly painful...but it wouldn't put me off a holiday.

Janleverton Fri 25-May-18 09:01:28

Slightly stung in Cornwall. It wasn’t that bad (not like it was a box jellyfish or a man o war). Have also trodden on weaver fish in Cornwall. That hurt more but only for about half an hour.

metalmum15 Fri 25-May-18 09:09:06

The only time I've ever seen jellyfish is in Wales, never abroad.

beingsunny Fri 25-May-18 09:24:22

Heaps of times, I live in sydney and depending on the currents/weather we get occasional days with thousands of blueys in the shallows and on the shore.

They are not there all the time it's usually obvious and 'some' will Choose to stay out of the water.

It's part of life here and occasionally you hear a hysterical toddler passing with dad running to the surf club.

TashaYar Fri 25-May-18 10:02:16

No, but I’ve seen loads of them round Malta during jellyfish season (it was July) - people were advised not to go in the sea, but some did and got stung. It depends entirely on location and time of year, plus some species are worse than others.

Yokohamajojo Fri 25-May-18 10:04:10

Actually my son got stung twice in Spain a few years ago but it wasn't too bad he recovered quickly

mydietstartsmonday Fri 25-May-18 10:05:54

Malta is heaven for Jelly fish, but you can see them and if sung the best think is wee....or alcohol (dab in not drink it). Though Malta is a rock you will be fine at a beach resort.

BiddyPop Fri 25-May-18 10:07:00

I've been stung in Ireland, but never overseas. And I've swam in Canaries, France, Cuba, Spain....in the open seas.

Aph413 Fri 25-May-18 10:08:21

Both me and my husband got stung on the same holiday in Malta. Had been going for years and didn't realise they got jellyfish there, turns out they do. Mauve stingers.
Only way I could describe it was like a mild electric shock that was then sore after. Not a pleasant experience but also not the most painful.

bakingdemon Fri 25-May-18 10:11:53

My husband off the coast of Scotland a couple of years ago. I offered to run to the fish and chip shop to get some vinegar to put on the stings (apparently that's better then weeing on them - and he was stung on his face wink) but he took some antihistamines and some painkillers and was OK in an hour of so

RubberJohnny Fri 25-May-18 10:13:00

Been stung in Cyprus. They do a really good ammonia gel called bite and sting or something. Like urine but very concentrated, took the burning away in seconds. Big red welts on my shoulders though for the day!
We were in the algarve years ago and lifeguards made everyone get out of the water as the current was bringing in some Portuguese man-o-war. Next day all was fine again.
And there are of course, many stinging jellyfish in the med!

kiwiblue Fri 25-May-18 10:13:22

Got stung on the Amalfi coast- think it was about May time. There were loads of them about. Everyone said the best thing to do is wee on the sting!

Painful but as sometime else said it wouldn't put me off a holiday.

Aridane Fri 25-May-18 10:15:28

i) FCO travel advice says to follow local advice if jellyfish are present - www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal/safety-and-security - so something sufficiently noteworthy to make it into governmental advice...

ii) stung once in my life in Cyprus - felt like bee stings - got welts which went down after a few days

TheDishRanAwayWithTheSpoon Fri 25-May-18 10:20:29

I've got stung twice, both in the UK. Once in Wales as a child which was fine really it just hurt a bit. Another in Kent and that was quite big and hurt a lot. But again really it was fine just painful, it hasnt put me off going in the sea and I felt quite cool as I had proper tenticle lines! It wasn't he worst pain in the world either time, nothing that couldn't be coped with.

RubberJohnny Fri 25-May-18 10:21:39

Don't worry too much though! Jellyfish can be anywhere depending on currents and weather. Take some of the gel above, I've googled, it's called After Bite. And antihistamines with you and I doubt any one will get stung.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: