Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

And now Morgan Freeman "apologises after sex harassment claims"

(23 Posts)
PyongyangKipperbang Fri 25-May-18 01:04:50

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44247166

sad

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 25-May-18 01:07:50

Jesus.

BeefyCakes Fri 25-May-18 01:11:23

sad that's a bit of a non apology.

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 25-May-18 01:11:52

Isn't it always.

Iflyaway Fri 25-May-18 01:14:55

Fuck.

Loved him as an actor.

Thought he was better than that....

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 25-May-18 01:43:04

that's a bit of a non apology.

Aren't they all?

Thought he was better than that....
Me too. Well, perhaps "hoped" would be more accurate.

Mousefunky Fri 25-May-18 01:51:35

I fear the only Hollywood star to be trusted is Tom Hanks.

SneakyGremlins Fri 25-May-18 01:54:57

So that's not "I deny these allegations strongly" it's "yeah soz"?

Sometimes I hate my gender.

NotMyFirstRodeo Fri 25-May-18 04:59:34

Yep. It's a generic sorry I got caught out apology, isn't it? Very similar to others. They all go one of four ways:
1. Eventual admission and therefore career rightfully over e.g. Louis CK
2. Absolute denial and hope it will disappear e.g. Jeremy Piven
3. I need to learn from this bs/go into rehab/hide for 6 months e.g. John Lassiter
4. Half-assed non apology e.g. Morgan Freeman, Dustin Hoffman, Jeffrey Tambor (although he did a mix of 2-4)

The only thing surprising to me is how long it took for this to come out - allegedly people in the know were sure during #me too that Freeman would be next. Am amazed with 8 co claimants and 8 witnesses that he wasn't outed as a pest six months ago.

NotMyFirstRodeo Fri 25-May-18 05:00:43

8 complainants

NotMyFirstRodeo Fri 25-May-18 05:02:13

The only guy I have any faith in is Pierce Brosnan.

Terfing Fri 25-May-18 05:07:03

Please give most of your sympathy to his victims. sad

NotMyFirstRodeo Fri 25-May-18 05:24:09

I think everyone IS sympathetic to his victims - you can nonetheless feel sad that someone you held to a higher standard turns out to be a predatory creep. Those two opinions are not mutually exclusive. Morgan Freeman has always had a statesman quality to him - because of some of the roles he has played. He even played God at one point. So to find out he's a cliche of a man and a sex pest is disappointing - the sad face is recognising that personal response rather than expressing sympathy for him where I doubt there will be any: sponsors have already pulled deals, lifetime awards might be revoked etc The backlash will be swift.

PyongyangKipperbang Fri 25-May-18 13:40:36

Yes, I should clarify that I am not sad that he has been outed and my sympathy is of course with his victims, but I am sad that there is yet another one. And that it is someone who, if I had been asked who I thought might have been one of those lecherous bastards, I wouldnt have even considered.

EachandEveryone Fri 25-May-18 14:33:11

It is sad when youve foolowed all their work and enjoyed watching his interviews etc. I felt the same about Kevin Spacey and, to an extent, Woody Allen. Its like a part of your life was a sham. Its sounds strange but i know what i mean.

How come rock stars arent as affected in the same way?

BlingLoving Fri 25-May-18 14:39:43

I was talking to a colleague about this earlier. What's sad is that I am sure he means his "apology". But all these men, for years and years and years, have felt quite comfortable saying and doing things that put women in uncomfortable positions and have never stopped to think for one second about how the woman might feel, or that she didn't have the option to say no. All these men are so used to simply being able to control how people behave around them that their default assumption is that "if a woman was uncomfortable, she should have said" which a) puts the responsibility for managing the man's behaviour on her shoulders and b) completely misses the stark power play at work.

Makes me sad. And Mad.

NotMyFirstRodeo Fri 25-May-18 15:27:00

eachandeveryone
I think some are - I know that many Lost prophet fans felt unable to listen to their music anymore after Ian Watkins was jailed.
The Full Monty film aside, I doubt many listen to Gary Glitter.
Same for R Kelly. But these were paedophiles.
I read today a risque comment that some people said David Bowie died too early when in their opinion his timing was spot-on.
I suspect because of the idea of 'groupies', sexual freedom of the 70s, libertarianism etc the fact that many women were underage has been overlooked as it was still deemed to be consensual.
It is nonetheless interesting that certain music bigwigs (eg record producers) have not been brought down. Some believe because of long term contracts fewer people are willing to speak out in the industry.
So fewer magnates but certainly musicians have been exposed I just have not heard of them so cannot boycott music I don't listen to
www.btrtoday.com/read/featured/the-long-list-of-music-industry-figures-accused-of-sexual-misconduct/

mirime Fri 25-May-18 15:42:30

How come rock stars arent as affected in the same way?

Good question.

There is a band I followed as a teen where there is a certain story about one member. I've no idea if it's true or not, and most fans don't believe it to be true while admitting that he behaved badly towards underage groupies, choosing the vulnerable ones and basically grooming them.

EachandEveryone Sat 26-May-18 23:13:12

I just mean treating women in general. I guess because they are called groupies and hung around with that goal in mind it was seen differently.

Still strange thiugh how theres never a big scandal.

NotMyFirstRodeo Sat 26-May-18 23:51:16

Indeed. Mandy Smith said a few years back that her relationship with Bill Wyman would now be seen as grooming.
He allegedly spoke to the police himself when Operation Yewtree was happening but was told he had no case to answer (I assume because they ended up married and the family chose at the time not to press charges for unlawful sex).
Thandie Newton went through similar grooming at 16 with an older director.
It's male entitlement and abuse of position.
Nelly has been accused twice now but no arrest presumably because the groupie misogyny exists.
In the meantime Morgan Freeman is at pains to point out his harassment wasn't harassment-harassment...
www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/26/morgan-freeman-allegations-sexual-harassment-apology

Samcro Sat 26-May-18 23:55:48

has he been found guilty at court?

NotMyFirstRodeo Sun 27-May-18 00:13:27

Who? Freeman?
I doubt very much it will come to court. They would need to prove that he created an unsafe work environment which is why he his publicist/legal has specifically referred to that in the second statement.
Because there's nothing wrong with flirting aka the Deneuve defence.

NotMyFirstRodeo Sun 27-May-18 00:24:18

But it is not right to equate horrific incidents of sexual assault with misplaced compliments or humor

Which is what many have tried to say in the wake of Time's Up - that there's a difference between x and y.
But Freeman was not reported as having committed assault - he was reported as having harassed women on set and just because one is not 'as bad' as the other does not mean it did not cause injury.
mashable.com/2018/05/26/morgan-freeman-allegations/?europe=true&#K38I7_uRhqqU

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: