Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

This photo gives me the absolute creeps

(163 Posts)
Knitjob Thu 24-May-18 23:13:39

It's an old photo that appeared on Facebook randomly of a swimming pool I used to go to as a kid and it had a wave machine. The machine was behind those black grill sort of bits at the end.

I am weirdly totally freaked out by not knowing what is going on behind that grill. Obviously it's a giant machine that sucks in water and pushes it out to make waves, so why do I find it so freaky? I was scared of what was behind the wall even as a kid (and a teenager) and I don't know why. Was I scared of getting sucked in? No-one ever got sucked in. Just a fear or the unknown? I don't know. My heart is going faster just looking at it now and the pool is long demolished. If anyone had said to me "don't be silly, come and see what the machine looks like" I would not have gone if you'd paid me.

I hate the floor in our local pool now, it goes up and down. So it must have giant hydraulic jacks and lots of space under it when the floor is raised. That freaks me out too.

Am I weird? I can guarantee that pool and wave machine will appear in my dreams tonight.

I also used to be a lifeguard bizarrely despite my weird fear of swimming pool machinery.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Thu 24-May-18 23:15:48

If you’re weird then I’m weird too. I’m really freaked out by wave machines and lazy rivers that pull you round. I hate that lack of control in the water.

furryelephant Thu 24-May-18 23:16:14

I used to hate them too!! I was so convinced there were sharks inside them, ours had a huge wall and grates underneath the water level blushI can't imagine a moving floor shock

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Thu 24-May-18 23:16:28

I’m totally baffled by how the floor shock of your pool goes up and down!!

Gammeldragz Thu 24-May-18 23:17:36

Oh yes, me too! Terrified of the one I went to a couple of times as a kid. I knew there was a grill and no one got sucked in, but...

Taken my DCs to one a few times, first time I stayed well away, by the third time I was able to go near it but still didn't feel comfortable. Didn't help when my nephew out his foot through the grill! He's 15 and should know better, nothing happened though so I imagine the designers of the system factored that behaviour in.

Gammeldragz Thu 24-May-18 23:19:24

Oh, I hadn't noticed that in the picture (wasn't too nervous to look in case it freaked me out, honest) - the ones I meant had the grill underwater (more sinister if you can't see it!).

FishFingerInjury Thu 24-May-18 23:19:32

I’m fine with waves or rapids but deep water than I can’t see what’s below is a massive fear of mine.

When I was younger one of the local leisure centres had a flume that had a kind of bowl you spun around in and then dropped into a very deep but small circumference pool. The floor of the pool was a grill rather than solid. I used to freak out thinking there were sharks or orcas under it. [shudder]

Flyingpompom Thu 24-May-18 23:19:56

I used to have a recurring dream about an empty swimming pool. I get a really strange feeling when I think of it...like a morbid fascination. I'm sort of scared but I like it.
I remember when I was a kid they drained a local lake...I don't know why, but I remember walking on what would have been the bed. Same feeling.

None of that really answers your question, but I get it.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 24-May-18 23:23:01

I have a mild phobia of swimming pool drains. I can swim in pools but don't enjoy swimming over the drains and cannot contemplate the idea of standing on one.

Also have trouble with the grills at the edge of pools with wave machines.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 24-May-18 23:23:39

Or is it grilles? Either way, they make me feel very uncomfortable.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 24-May-18 23:25:41

I don't like the idea of being sucked against it (rational).

Or of something (alive) coming out of it (less rational).

ChickenVindaloo2 Thu 24-May-18 23:26:16

Reminds me of in bay watch years ago a woman dropped her wedding ring down a filter in a pool and got her hand stuck trying to get it out and was drowning.

YerAuntFanny Thu 24-May-18 23:27:28

YANBU. I couldn't go in a pool like that even now I'm in my 30's

The grates in our pool were underwater and I couldn't go near that end after I jumped in once and came face on with the darkness as I swam up, I actually feel sick remembering it.

I think it's my most irrational fear, as I absolutely cannot open my eyes underwater incase I see them.

Knitjob Thu 24-May-18 23:30:58

I have found my people! Most folk i know think I'm crazy. Any sort of swimming pool drain....

There was a thread a while back, was it someone going to pontins or similar and dreading how bad it would be, and someone else posted a picture of an abandoned upstairs swimming pool? That freaked me out big time.

I’m totally baffled by how thefloorof your pool goes up and down

The floors in quite a few of the pools near me can be raised or lowered so the pool can be made more shallow for lessons or whatever. Seems to be a thing in modern pools.

The statue of liberty also gives me nightmares, or other big statues of people. I think that's a vertigo/perspective sort of thing which is vaguely understandable though. The swimming pool machinery thing I have no explanation for

PoisonousSmurf Thu 24-May-18 23:31:07

A friend used to clean large olympic sized pools and mentioned that they had to use scuba gear and go underneath the main pool?
Is there another level down there?!

Wolfiefan Thu 24-May-18 23:31:17

YANBU. I always worry (completely bonkers) about somehow being sucked into those grills.
And YY to the previous poster who said about the fear of animals swimming out.
I'm old. Jaws. Fucking terrifying. Hate deep water too.

LadyDeadpool Thu 24-May-18 23:31:21

I used to think there was a shark behind the black bars of the local swimming pool where the wave machine was, somehow convinced myself it connected to the ocean. I think I just watched jaws too much.

FishFingerInjury Thu 24-May-18 23:32:37

We’ve clearly all been affected by THAT 999 episode.

TheSecondOfHerName Thu 24-May-18 23:32:52

I can't wear goggles when swimming because I can't cope with seeing the drains in focus under the water.

Unfortunately my eyes are very sensitive to chlorinated water, so I end up mostly doing backstroke or swimming with my eyes closed.

Knitjob Thu 24-May-18 23:33:51

The grates in our pool were underwater and I couldn't go near that end after I jumped in once and came face on with the darkness as I swam up, I actually feel sick remembering it

This gives me the shivers.

I need to go and look up some cute puppy or kitten photos now before I go to bed.

Wolfiefan Thu 24-May-18 23:34:15

999?
Jaws proper terrified me. Watched it as a child. Think scared to sit on the loo level of craziness. (if a great white fitted through the pipes it really wouldn't have been a threat. hmm)

Knitjob Thu 24-May-18 23:35:00

*underneath the main pool?
Is there another level down there?!*

OMG!

Fink Thu 24-May-18 23:35:41

Definitely agree that we were all indoctrinated to think there were sharks behind the grill. Big fuck off great whites.

FishFingerInjury Thu 24-May-18 23:35:54

999 With Michael Burke. I thought everyone watched it in the 90s.

Only came second to Strange But True.

Knitjob Thu 24-May-18 23:36:32

We’ve clearly all been affected by THAT 999 episode

I don't know what that is. Please please DON'T tell me. Dh is away overnight tonight and I will never get to sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: