Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What makes a roast a roast?

(108 Posts)
00100001 Thu 24-May-18 22:40:57

Which component has to be included, otherwise it’s just a normal dinner?

My friend claimed to be making a roast, and it was a roast chicken, cabbage, carrots, peas and boiled new potatoes.
Naturally I laughed in her face and proceeded to mock her , as CLEARLY the rules goes “No Raosties, No Roast”

But.... you wouldn’t have sausages and roast potatoes and call it a roast dinner? ( well my friend might....)

So, in the Binary House a roast MUST have a roast meat AND roast potatoes. The rest, go to town on.
(Point of clarification , just roast meat and roast roast does not a Roast make)

ILikeMyChickenFried Thu 24-May-18 22:44:44

Agree with you.

What kind of lunatic has boiled potatoes in a roast dinner?

Theimpossiblegirl Thu 24-May-18 22:44:52

Yes to roast meat and potatoes. Also a selection of veggies and gravy.

TurnOfTheShoe Thu 24-May-18 22:45:01

Roast meat, roast potatoes, Yorkshires, a couple of veg and as much gravy as the plate can hold. Ideally pigs in blankets, mash and stuffing as well, crackling if the meat is pork. Really want a roast dinner now.

Cineraria Thu 24-May-18 22:46:20

It has to be roast potatoes and a roast centrepiece of some kind here, plus gravy so DH will probably have meat and an instant chicken gluten free gravy but the DSes and I have something like a roasted portobello mushroom stuffed with nuts, seeds and veg and a homemade red wine gravy wth or roast potatoes.

Magmatic80 Thu 24-May-18 22:46:46

Yes, roast taters and roast meat. I hold no truck with this mash with roast dinner abomination. Mash only goes with sausages (or anything else you like, particularly if loads of butter in), it does not form part of a roast dinner if there’s no roast taters.

Neato Thu 24-May-18 22:46:54

Roast meat, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, gravy and at the very least; 2 veg- probably green beans and carrots.

Abetes Thu 24-May-18 22:47:26

Roast meat, roast potatoes and gravy. For me good gravy is the most important thing.

Leeds2 Thu 24-May-18 22:49:07

Yorkshires. Gravy, and mash. I think, technically, roasties but I don't really like them.

00100001 Thu 24-May-18 22:52:46

leeds you don’t like roast potatoes? That’s -10 points to Slytherin!

EnglishGirlApproximately Thu 24-May-18 22:53:32

Roast Meat, Roasties and Gravy are essential, everything else I’ll mix and match! Sausage and roasties with all the trimmings is known her as a ‘Sausage Dinner’, not to be confused with Bangers and Mash or indeed any other meal involving sausages.

angryburd Thu 24-May-18 22:59:51

Surely the roast meat is what makes it a roast...

(I'm also indifferent at best to roast potatoes; I'd much rather have mashed potatoes with loads of gravy...)

TinyPawz Thu 24-May-18 23:00:20

A roast in my house must have roast meat. Don't always have roast potatoes.

00100001 Thu 24-May-18 23:01:40

It has to be more than just roast meat as a component, surely? Otherwise.... Roast lamb in a pitta bread with hummus and salad.... is a roast?

No. Wrong.

Inarightpickleandchutney Thu 24-May-18 23:05:55

ILike I’m in stitches at ‘lunatic’ MADNESS!!!! It’s absolutely right but lunatic has made me chuckle grin

starryflamingo Thu 24-May-18 23:07:44

Roasting it...?

eightfacesofthemoon Thu 24-May-18 23:27:08

Roast potatoes
Roast meats
I do not want a fucking roast butternut squash

Annwithnoe Thu 24-May-18 23:31:09

Stuffing.
Roast meat, roast potatoes, veg and gravy are for garnish. The whole point of a roast is to wrap the stuffing, surely?

PhilODox Thu 24-May-18 23:44:10

Anyone that doesn't like roast potatoes has never had them made properly!

RavenLG Thu 24-May-18 23:51:44

as much gravy as the plate can hold
I serve my roasts in pasta bowls so it is literally a gravy roast soup. I'm a northern (at heart, midlands by relocation!) so it's allowed.

Meat, beg, boiled potatoes and veg would be a dinner.

Roasties and Yorkie is a proper roast. Ideally mash in addition to the roasties too.

PastBananas Fri 25-May-18 00:00:05

It can't be a roast dinner unless it is a Sunday...

senua Fri 25-May-18 00:03:03

Lots of protein: roast meat.
Lots of carb: roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, stuffing.
It's the combination of protein and carb that gives you the I'm-stuffed feeling.

And gravy, natch.

BertrandRussell Fri 25-May-18 00:03:45

Anyone who says "roasties" has no seat at my table. And my table is very big....

Tatapie Fri 25-May-18 00:05:08

Roast meat and roast potatoes essential. As is boiled English veg, always carrots plus a green ( no green beans from Egypt) broccoli controversial. Plus ( if Sunday ) an "accompaniment " stuffing or Yorkshire depending on the meat. If mid week roast this can be missed but there will be moaning. Oh and an onion / parsnip for DH. And gravy. And quorn in Vege gravy for DD. There are lots of roast rules in our house! 😂

Eliza9917 Fri 25-May-18 00:08:09

Roast meat, roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings - whatever the meat, stuffing if chicken. Cauliflower/broccoli cheese, Peas, carrots, sweetcorn. Gravy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: