Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

There’s a hedgehog in the garden! 🦔

(46 Posts)
BonnayDuhDoosh Thu 24-May-18 22:37:48

I’m so chuffed, haven’t seen one since I was about 10 and I hear they’re quite rare now! It’s quite a big one and is snuffling around near DD’s football. DH has put some cat food down for it grin

elephantoverthehill Thu 24-May-18 22:39:45

How exciting. I hope it gobbles up all your slugs.

Joinourclub Thu 24-May-18 22:40:15

Oo lucky you!

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 24-May-18 22:42:12

Lovely aren’t they? We saw the first one of the year last night. We always get a fair few (semi rural) but I had all of the back of our land re-fenced a couple of months ago and I’ve been on tenterhooks waiting to see if all the usual wildlife came back. We had lots of hedgehog tunnels put in and even a fox door! Saw the fox earlier this week and the hedgehog last night so just the grass-snakes to go!

karyatide Thu 24-May-18 22:42:34

How lovely! Do you know about this? A neighbour of mine started it; there are signs up about how to be a hedgehog friend all over the neighbourhood.

www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/

Sinkingswimmer Thu 24-May-18 22:46:15

My jack russell would be in melt down! We used to get them at our old house and he would lie at the floor length living room window literally quivering with excitement!
Love hedgehogs

BonnayDuhDoosh Thu 24-May-18 22:50:10

We live in quite an urban area close to a railway line and a supermarket, in a fairly new housing estate. I’m really surprised to see one!

We’re peeping out of the bathroom window watching it, you can hear it scoffing the cat food grin It has a little dish of water too so hopefully it will enjoy it’s grub, I’m sure it will hoover up any slugs too.

judas that sounds lovely, I’m sure they will all come back - I’d love to see a fox!

kary I will check out that link

BonnayDuhDoosh Thu 24-May-18 22:51:16

Here s/he is, when DH first spotted it....

Noqont Thu 24-May-18 22:52:16

Oh wow. I haven't seen a hedgehog for years. Lucky thing.

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 24-May-18 22:55:41

We have a regular! Found a poorly juvenile last year too that we had to take to hedgehog rescue. Love them.

Longdistance Thu 24-May-18 22:56:49

The last time I had a hedgehog in my garden, I heard a loud snuggling noise. I activated the security light and saw them shagging.
I did apologise 🤷🏼‍♀️🦔🦔

threefeet Thu 24-May-18 22:57:51

Oh god I love a hedgehog envy

overnightangel Thu 24-May-18 23:03:57

Last year I was driving up to my house at the end of the street about 11pm and as I got closer I thought “that’s a small cat stood in the middle of the road”, as I got to about 10/15 yards away it still hadnt budged or scooted off in a cat-like manner, when I flicked my full beam on lo and behold the biggest fattest hedgehog I’d ever seen!!

RavenLG Thu 24-May-18 23:13:13

I activated the security light and saw them shagging. I did apologise

You're so British! lol.

I loveeeee hedgehogs! I've not seen any in our garden but we have fence that is concrete slabs on the bottom for about half a foot then fence pannels. We do have picket at the bottom which they could get through and that backs onto crazy overgrown land leading to railway. I would love to see one! we're starting to sort the garden so hoping to knock a few holes in the concrete and start building some dens for them!

CFSKate Thu 24-May-18 23:23:59

www.rspb.org.uk/get-involved/activities/give-nature-a-home-in-your-garden/garden-activities/openahedgehogcafe/

www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/feed-hedgehogs/

prickleshedgehogrescue.org.uk/feeding-a-wild-hedgehog-in-your-garden/

www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/inthewild/gardenhedgehogs

thehedgehog.co.uk/feeding-hedgehogs/

BonnayDuhDoosh Thu 24-May-18 23:25:13

long wow! hopefully this one will bring a companion tomorrow night for cat food a deux next to the shed, I’ll light a few candles and play some Barry White softly out of the kitchen window for some ambience

Dergadgeghead Thu 24-May-18 23:28:11

Ha - reminds me of the old joke...

Q: How do hedgehogs have sex?

A: Carefully! grin

Longdistance Thu 24-May-18 23:31:11

Well, I hope they had lots of babies, but shagging under my laundry rotary airer may not have been the most romantic of places 🦔❤️🦔

FusionChefGeoff Thu 24-May-18 23:41:45

We've got one too!! It's really tame / stupid and doesn't seem to realise its nocturnal

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Fri 25-May-18 00:42:17

@SinkingSwimmer Mine too grin

Last time he found a hedgehog, I only realised because he was growling at a hedge, sticking his nose in, getting it pricked, yelping and beating a hasty retreat before repeating the repertoire again hmm

The hedgehog didn't even bother to curl up into a ball!

CecilyNeville Fri 25-May-18 00:47:14

I saw one last week! It was drinking from the bird bath. There was fresh hedgehog poo today, so it must have been wandering yesterday as well.

HarrietKettleWasHere Fri 25-May-18 00:50:47

Joy!!!!! They are so special and rare.

Practically extinct in London sad

I found a little one in the big Sainsbury's car park in Ladbroke Grove two years ago, it was winter and it was too small. Everyone was just gawping at it- I ran in the Sainsbury's and shoplifted a hand-towel, scooped it up and rang my fiancé and we delivered it to a rescue centre. They are beautiful things!

I went back to pay for the hand-towel.

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Fri 25-May-18 00:53:51

Lucky you! I wish I had a hedgehog!

BoreOfWhabylon Fri 25-May-18 00:59:09

@FusionChefGeoff If your hedgehog is bimbling around in the daylight and not trying to hide from you it may be ill.

That's what the hedgehog rescue people told me when I had one doing that. They took it away to hog hospital.

soupforbrains Fri 25-May-18 01:02:21

We are VERY lucky and live in an area where we see hedgehogs very often as well as foxes and occasionally badgers too. Although later the badgers seems to have become a bit suicidal as there's been a lot of them killed on the roads.

Anyway, we see hedgehogs a lot but it's never boring. I blooming LOVE hedgehogs. Although it's less endearing when they spend 3 hours shagging noisily under the bedroom window... 🤫😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: