Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What the actual fuck is this?

(49 Posts)
MsJuniper Thu 24-May-18 18:48:07

On our way home from school we go past some lovely green hedges.

Except... for the last week or so they've started to resemble hallowe'en decorations with patches of cobwebby stuff all over the place. At first I thought it must be <shudder> a sp#d%r infestation like you see on those tropical islands, but the patches are now filled with hundreds of caterpillars or larvae of some kind and all the greenery has been eaten or suffocated to death so the hedges are bare and dead-looking beneath the patches.

What the holy living fuck is going on?

I'm sure it's just some demonstration of the horrors wonders of nature but ffs. Any ideas what might emerge from this nightmare?

p.s. If it's anything sp%d#ry please don't post pics.

IWantMyHatBack Thu 24-May-18 18:49:56

Can you somehow obtain a flamethrower?

Spiders. Millions of spiders.

acornsandnuts Thu 24-May-18 18:52:07

Oh my. My skin has well and truly crawled. Move house. NOW.

OH GOD where do you live? North of Manchester or south? Just so I can plan my move too.

SnowGoArea Thu 24-May-18 18:52:30

I have no idea but it looks spidery and horrible weirdly magnificent all at the same time. It's also made me feel all itchy and odd.

Evenif Thu 24-May-18 18:52:32

I think its an elephant nest

IWantMyHatBack Thu 24-May-18 18:53:12

Check carefully.. Frodo might be wrapped up in there somewhere.

RNBrie Thu 24-May-18 18:54:18

It'll be some sort of tent caterpillars.

SantaClauseMightWork Thu 24-May-18 18:55:22

Mutant spiders.

elephantoverthehill Thu 24-May-18 18:55:51

My nest most certainly look like that! Pah, how very dare you.

Tiddlywinks63 Thu 24-May-18 18:55:52

It could be ermine moth caterpillars, I've seen it twice and it's eerily spectacular.

acornsandnuts Thu 24-May-18 18:56:01

Got it
commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tent_caterpillar_web_-_geograph.org.uk_-_178948.jpg

MrsJayy Thu 24-May-18 18:57:59

I wouldcall Hagrid Aragog is alive and well 😃

Scrowy Thu 24-May-18 18:58:36

It's a type of moth. We get it all over our hawthorn and blackthorn hedges every year.

clownfaces Thu 24-May-18 19:00:11

How I wish I hadn't looked covers eyes shock

PatriciaHolm Thu 24-May-18 19:00:50

Box tree caterpillar?

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/advice-tips/pests/box-tree-moth-symptoms-and-treatments

Tors33 Thu 24-May-18 19:01:51

Isn't that catappilers Web it would make sense at this time of year there's a park round here and all the trees are usually covered in it and the benches and your not allowed to destroy it

ChevalierTialys Thu 24-May-18 19:01:59

Oooh boy, that's definitely gonna give me nightmares tonight.

sonjadog Thu 24-May-18 19:07:02

We get it around here. Like others said, it´s a kind of moth. No spiders involved!

TammySwansonTwo Thu 24-May-18 19:07:51

We have hops in our garden - first summer last year and I saw what I thought were loads of baby caterpillars caught in spiders webs then realised they werent spiders webs.

We had coccoons all over the place but sadly the majority died - they get infested by some kind of bee and then a massive maggot falls out. Bloody horrible. There were a few gorgeous butterflies though.

Minionoftheantichrist Thu 24-May-18 19:08:35

Do not touch it. I think it’s a portal into The Upside Down’. You could easily unleash a demogorgon or two.

MsJuniper Thu 24-May-18 19:10:13

Ok that's a relief if it's moths/caterpillars. I didn't think spiders had larvae but I wasn't prepared to google.

Obviously a flame thrower was my first thought, although I'm not sure the people in the flats behind would be too pleased.

Hopefully it's not the poisonous ones that are meant to be invading from Spain (presumably in some type of Brexit protest) but apparently they only nest in oak trees and this is definitely not an oak tree. Hawthorn sounds about right @Scrowy.

AsAProfessionalFekko Thu 24-May-18 19:10:18

Vampires or giant spiders. Or giant vampire spiders..

DisturblinglyOrangeScrambleEgg Thu 24-May-18 19:13:38

Ok that's a relief if it's moths/caterpillars

See now, you say that, but if it's the ones I'm thinking of, then the next step is a bush heaving with little hairy caterpillars, which are just as terrifying.

EnidButton Thu 24-May-18 19:13:50

Elephant nest

grin

I wouldn't want to walk past it but it does look very cool. Nature is so clever.

(Although I would now it's just caterpillars.)

Albadross Thu 24-May-18 19:13:54

If I were a spider I'd be thinking 'Free house - I'm in!'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: