Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do I have to replace landlords washing machine? Pic included

(60 Posts)
Thumbsup2 Thu 24-May-18 17:21:55

I have been in the house for almost 2 years and will be leaving soon. They supplied the washing machine it does not say on the inventory weather it was new or not. It was pushed under the unit when the photos were taken so the top can't be seen.

Any way when the washing machine gets used it works it's way out from under the unit when on spin. The landlord done a check and there is a crack on top of the washing machine.(see pic) I don't know if I done it or not. Anyway do I have to buy a new washing machine because of the crack?

specialsubject Thu 24-May-18 17:23:38

not unless you took a hammer to it!

landlord provides, landlord replaces.

Namechange128 Thu 24-May-18 17:24:36

It might well come under expected wear and tear - does the washing machine still work? In any case, I wouldn't be rushing to offer replace, wait to see what the inventory clerk / letting agent says if you have one...

PalePinkSwan Thu 24-May-18 17:24:51

No, the inventory sets out the condition of the property when it was let.

If there’s no evidence of the state of the top of the washing machine on the inventory, they can’t prove that you caused the crack.

So just say you didn't cause the crack, so it must have been like that when you moved in.

Assuming the landlord has protected your deposit in a proper scheme (which legally he had to), then if he tries to deduct money for the washing machine you can dispute it with the scheme and you should win.

EspressoButler Thu 24-May-18 17:25:42

^^ but either way that doesn’t warrant a new machine. A new plastic top at most.

MrsJayy Thu 24-May-18 17:25:44

I would imagine that is wear and tear due to use and banging on the unit and the landlords problem.

RatherBeRiding Thu 24-May-18 17:25:59

Nope. Because you have no way of knowing if the crack was there initially and, even if it wasn't, it's a tiny crack, probably doesn't affect the machine in any way, and you haven't directly caused it.

TammySwansonTwo Thu 24-May-18 17:28:58

Not unless it’s deliberate or negligent - you didn’t even know it was there. Do not replace it - I take it your deposit is in a protection scheme? They’d never make you pay for that unless you did it deliberately. Appliances break and get damaged through normal use.

Cleanerswin Thu 24-May-18 17:31:24

My machine had a crack like that for years. I definitely didn’t do it, it was likely caused by stress due to the machine shaking. No mention of it on inventory at check in = not a chance of landlord getting a new machine or even a repair. Stick to your guns as a pp says “i didn’t do it, was there when I moved in”

Thumbsup2 Thu 24-May-18 17:34:12

Ok i don't know if it was new or not though she could have a receipt.

But I'm thinking if I had to replace it I would rather actually buy the washing machine.and then i just take the one with the crack in. Least I have a machine then.

EspressoButler Thu 24-May-18 17:37:24

No, no one would make you replace a machine for a tiny plastic crack. Even if the deposit co didn’t find in your favour for any reason, worst that would happen would be a token payment towards the reduction in secondhand value due to a tiny crack. I’d guess £10 ish, if that.

But if condition of it isn’t listed on the inventory, and it’s atleast 2 years old, they should find in your favour and say no charge to you at all. Let the deposit protection deal with it if your LL is being an arse about it.

specialsubject Thu 24-May-18 17:42:32

deposit is protected, i take it? read the how to rent guide if england.

landlord needs to prove you caused damage. impossible.

thecatneuterer Thu 24-May-18 17:43:54

Of course you don't have to buy a new machine. That's just wear and tear, either that or it was already there. Either way, not your responsibility at all.

Thumbsup2 Thu 24-May-18 18:02:39

Ok thank you. Yes she's being very difficult. She even took a picture of a fallen over bucket on her last property check. Whilst I'm here how would I proove damp was painted over? On an email to me she tells me damage done to the property and the damp will be more than our deposit which was 2500. I did have someone come and check the damp just verbally. He pointed out where they have already had problems and where they have had treatment. She does not know I done that. We offered to have someone come and look at the damp. And she said no it's fine it just needs a dehumidifier. But yet she's saying it will be more than my deposit. The other things are silly bits like a couple of chips out of the paint work. And few pen marks on the wall which we will sort out.

northerngoldilocks Thu 24-May-18 18:07:13

If you've been there 2 years paint chips are likely to be normal wear and tear too. I'd expect to repaint between lets anyway so wouldn't deduct deposit

EspressoButler Thu 24-May-18 18:38:16

Oh dear. Your LL sounds like she’s one of the sort that gives us all a bad name. I’d too plan to repaint between tenant changes. That’s what you do (as a normal LL)!

In which case take photos of everything after you’ve moved your stuff and cleaned.
Find your original inventory now and read it.

Check it carefully for details. So if it says carpets professionally cleaned (or cleaned to a professional standard), you must leave them cleaned. This doesn’t mean you need to pay someone, you could hire or borrow a machine. Ditto windows inside and out, if inventory says they were sparkling on entry.

Your LL cannot expect betterment. And must allow for wear and tear.

A Magic sponge is your friend for scuffs and pen marks. Inventory clerks always check for dirt and limescale, as well as damage.

I’d suggest a 90p bottle of mould and mildew remover from wilko.
Also their own brand limescale remover. Apply liberally to all taps and bathroom/kitchen sinks. And shower screen if you have one.
Pull out the washing machine drawer and soak then scrub. Also wipe round the drum seal with kitchen cleaner:mould soray/bay wioe depending on how bad it looks.
Cheap aby wipes are your friend for light switches and door frames.
If you have a kitchen extractor, soak and scrub the removable plates, and change the filter if necessary.
Replace all blown lightbulbs.

Who came round about the damp? Any chance they’d send you an email confirming what they said verbally? Take as many pics as possible in different lights to show any paint that covered the damp, that they said was done a while ago, or before you moved in. It will help

EspressoButler Thu 24-May-18 18:39:44

That should read kitchen cleaned/mould spray/baby wipe

ILikeMyChickenFried Thu 24-May-18 18:40:46

Your landlord surely can't charged for chipped paint? That's just normal wear and tear.

How severe is this damp issue?

maxthemartian Thu 24-May-18 18:41:30

She can't just keep your deposit, it will be held in the Deposit Protection Scheme. If it's not, she's breaking the law.

Oldraver Thu 24-May-18 18:42:34

I’d suggest a 90p bottle of mould and mildew remover from wilko.

Brilliant stuff but remember it's a bleach so be careful where there are carpets

EspressoButler Thu 24-May-18 18:54:30

^^ oops yes. Cleaning off mouldy but destroying carpets in the process would not be good blush

Thumbsup2 Thu 24-May-18 19:19:38


The worst of the damp is on the pic included on this reply. The person who spike to me said where the for across where the damp seems to have stopped is where they have had treatment before. And there is no shingle outside. Which is meant to help protect it from damp.

She also told us we must empty the shed. It's not even our stuff. And there is a cracked tile on the door step. That she said was us. But it's on the inventory.

In one of the bedrooms the plaster has blown out. And if you tap it for about a foot it's all crumbles and sounds hollow.

thecatneuterer Thu 24-May-18 20:03:42

In that photo I can see mildew, which a bottle of mould and mildew remover will sort out, and a line of damp going horizontally. Am I seeing that correctly? If that's what it is then it's a building fault, not a tenant fault. The only damp that can be a tenant's fault is mould and mildew from lack of ventilation, but that's nothing that can't be sorted out with a bit of spray and wiping and won't do any harm to the fabric of the building at all.

She can put in a claim to the deposit scheme if she likes, but it will be thrown out.

Beaverhausen Thu 24-May-18 20:08:13

Damp is not your problem it is a structural problem so her problem, she can not deduct it off your deposit.

If I were you I would go and speak to someone at the Citizens advice bureau or shelter to get some advice.

Beaverhausen Thu 24-May-18 20:11:22

OP if the faults are on the inventory just tell her you will see her in court and report her to council housing department, you can clearly see black mould at the bottom of the photo. Damp is not your problem as I stated it is a structural problem.

Do not let her bamboozle you. Take the inventory and your tenancy agreement and any correspondence you have had with her to CAB or Shelter and let them help you. Also ensure that any correspondence between the two of you is in writing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: