Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please recommend an effective, good quality bathroom spray cleaner.

(22 Posts)
FloControl Thu 24-May-18 17:07:26

Just that please. I've used a Wilko one in the past - it wasn't that effective but I'm willing to try any other store brand or Flash, Cif, Astonish, Cillit Bang etc. Most important is that it does a good job on tiles and taps and can move mineral (iron) deposits left by the water. I use washing up liquid for the shower screen.

My bathroom is small so I'm willing to spend up to a fiver for something worth it. Also, do you use a scourer, sponge, cloth or brush for bathroom cleaning ? I use a brush but it seems like harder work than necessary !

Thank you.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 24-May-18 17:10:21

My cleaner insists I buy Viakal, so I assume that is good! most mumsnet response ever

SteggySawUs Thu 24-May-18 17:13:27

Microfiber cloths are your friend! I use CIF or limelite for really stubborn marks. Discovering microfibre has transformed all my cleaning.

TheTurnOfTheScrew Thu 24-May-18 17:15:38

I mostly use windowlene and an e cloth rather than bathroom cleaner. I've found e cloths better than lots of cheaper microfibres.

PoptartPoptart Thu 24-May-18 18:18:23

Viakal is good for water marks and lime scale. Great on taps and shower screens.
Dettol mould and mildew remover is excellent and does exactly what it says with minimal scrubbing effort.
I always use a small sponge with scourer on one side.

sparkli Thu 24-May-18 21:04:33

I swear by the Cillit bang spray foam in the can. Spray it on, leave for 20 mins, wipe over and rinse to leave everything sparkling.

FloControl Thu 24-May-18 21:25:08

Thanks everyone. Someone else has suggested an Aldi all-purpose spray which she uses in her kitchen as well.

FloControl Tue 29-May-18 19:49:17

I bought some Morrison's microfibre cloths and used one to clean the bathroom today. Very impressive and no detergent used, apart from a spray of mould remover and Toilet Duck in the bog. Still some stubborn stains in the washbasin so I shall have to buy a spray of some sort.

KlutzyDraconequus Tue 29-May-18 19:52:26

50p on white vinegar.
cleans every damn thing ever. smile

CoffeeIsNotEnough Tue 29-May-18 20:01:02

I have very hard water. I use a lot of white vinegar.

KlutzyDraconequus Tue 29-May-18 20:04:48

CoffeeIsNotEnough

me too..

lthats why I started using vinegar instead of the extortionate prices of the cleaning chemicals.
got like 20ltrs of vinegar for a few quid off Amazon.. perfect.

FloControl Tue 29-May-18 20:47:41

Does the vinegar smell not linger ? I wouldn't want an overly chemical smell in my bathroom but nor would I care for Joe's Chippy !

KlutzyDraconequus Tue 29-May-18 20:54:02

white Vinegar is a natural odor neutraliser. it lingers for no longer than that of bleach or Clitty Bang etc.

also.. white vinegar is actual vinegar.. Joe's chippys 'Vinegar' isn't vinegar. (that's actually true that is.. it's a vinegar substitute..)

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 29-May-18 20:57:21

I use a microfibre cloth and Barkeepers Friend (£3 or so from Tesco). It's great on stainless steel and ceramics and has a quite pleasant smell.

Thatsalritehun Tue 29-May-18 21:00:10

I think it’s worth spending the money on branded. Cilit Bang, Cif Power and Shine, Bath Power or the Viakal spray are all better than own brand Sainsbury’s which seems to be half half the strength!

Goawayquickly Tue 29-May-18 21:25:20

White vinegar is fantastic for lots of cleaning. Flash ultimate is brilliant for hardcore/old build up of grime.

MsMotherOfDragons Tue 29-May-18 21:27:43

I love the red Ecover limescale spray, it really gets everything shiny in my bathroom. Plus I assume it might be more environmentally friendly? I'm really not sure but I use it because it works so well.

Curlywurlywurly Tue 29-May-18 21:40:54

I use Vamoose from Lakeland.

AgedTawnyPort Tue 29-May-18 21:44:36

I moved house a couple of months ago and was going to change the shower tiles and doors in one of the rooms. They were absolutely filthy, no chance of seeing through the glass.

I used all manner of things. Cillit Limescale and scum or grime or whatever it is called worked miracles. I phoned my builder and cancelled the replacing of the tiles and doors in that bathroom. It took four goes, left on for hours but it worked.

FloControl Tue 29-May-18 22:51:11

I now consider myself educated about white vinegar aroma.

SandAndSea Tue 29-May-18 22:56:13

I've used vinegar for years. I was recently convinced to try viakal. Put it this way, I'm back to vinegar. I make up a spray: about 30% vinegar with water plus a squirt of ecover washing up liquid.

KlutzyDraconequus Tue 29-May-18 23:23:36

I have 2 different sprays.
one is a weak vinegar / Zoflora misting spray air freshener for curtains and cat beds..
the other is a strong vinegar and anti bacterial washing up liquid mix. cleans anything. work tops, cookers, washing machines.. quick spray onto dirty plates loosens stuck food before full wash.
it even makes the toilet sparkle. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: