Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any frequent flyers around to ask about liquids in cabin bag?

(86 Posts)
FujiNine Thu 24-May-18 16:35:43

So each container can't be more than 100ml and 1 litre is the limit altogether. Do they actually look at this so long as it's in a plastic bag? I don't know how strict they are. So if I had a couple of those resealable bags with makeup/toiletries it would be ok - so long as it didn't look ridiculous?

Stupid question but I'm flying alone with kids for the first time tomorrow and haven't flown in years so forget all these things and don't want to end up having to throw out half my makeup.

Pyjamaface Thu 24-May-18 16:37:45

If you dont want to have to throw half of it away, only take what is allowed.

You could have no problems or you could get caught out. No way of telling

FujiNine Thu 24-May-18 16:39:43

Thanks pyjama.

Just to clarify - all of my bottles are less than 100ml, but I do have more than 10 - think I might err on the side of caution as you say and cut down.

NatalieRushman Thu 24-May-18 16:39:55

They really are quite strict about it ime. But if you have dc, you can use their liquid allowance!

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 24-May-18 16:40:07

You're only allowed one of those plastic bags per person, which would make it very hard to get more than ten things in it.

tiredand44 Thu 24-May-18 16:40:09

Normally they only let you take one bag per person...

LilacIris Thu 24-May-18 16:40:13

I’ve often seen people have to bin the excess before they are allowed through security. You might get away with it, but you also might not.

simplysmile Thu 24-May-18 16:40:15

With all the securities tightened around airports now they are really strict. Stick to the limits otherwise you will have to toss it in the bin! Usually you are only allowed one clear plastic bag per person but if you have kids with you they might allow more. Check online before you travel!
Travel safe and good luck x

50shadesofbeige Thu 24-May-18 16:41:02

You're only allowed one bag per person so if you have several of your own you will need to throw some things away

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 24-May-18 16:41:07

Oh yes, hadn't noticed that you were flying with the children - that will presumably allow you to split over multiple bags

FujiNine Thu 24-May-18 16:43:10

Thanks all. Might as well continue with the stupid questions - is all makeup liquid? E.g. lipstick etc?

FujiNine Thu 24-May-18 16:43:35

*classed as liquid

dementedpixie Thu 24-May-18 16:44:22

Do your kids have a luggage allowance? If so, then they are entitled to a liquids bag too. Not all make up will be liquids either so won't need to go in the bag. There isn't a limit on number of items in the bag but they need to fit in the bag and it needs to fasten. Do you have hold luggage as the rest of the items can go in there?

Tangfastics Thu 24-May-18 16:45:14

Last time I got told off at security it was for having more than two items in a clear bag. They split it into two.

The rules seem to change all the time. I’d check the airport website.

dementedpixie Thu 24-May-18 16:46:01

Its liquids gels and pastes and i would count lipstick as a solid tbh whereas lip gloss is counted. Eye shadows aren't counted either

Tangfastics Thu 24-May-18 16:46:05

And that was at Heathrow btw

dementedpixie Thu 24-May-18 16:47:32

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions

RiddleyW Thu 24-May-18 16:48:16

That’s completely weird Tang. I went through Heathrow last week with about 12 things in my bag.

Tarriance Thu 24-May-18 16:48:31

You are only allowed one bag per person. As long as it all fits in one bag and the bag seals it's generally OK. Creamy things count as liquids. Things like eyeshadow / powder / eyeliner do not.

amusedbush Thu 24-May-18 16:49:04

I travel quite a bit and I've found that it varies all over. Just a couple of weeks ago I totally forgot to remove my liquids bag at Glasgow's security and nothing happened. Coming back up from Gatwick however, they were stopping everyone and their granny to go through bags - including both me and DH.

fuzzyfozzy Thu 24-May-18 16:51:31

Mascara, foundation and lipstick is

DragonsAndCakes Thu 24-May-18 16:53:16

Kids plural, so there’s three of you? You can take three of the bags, with ten items in each.
Security won’t care if they have a baggage allowance.

Tangfastics Thu 24-May-18 16:54:34

Maybe it was one of those days! I had 4 optrex actimist in my liquids bag (you can’t get them here in the states) and security didn’t like it.

RiddleyW Thu 24-May-18 16:54:34

There isn’t a 10 item limit. Just litre overall.

RiddleyW Thu 24-May-18 16:55:45

I think it depends on their mood Tang! I had a woman get really cross with me once about my iPad not switching on, it was just out of power.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: