Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do baby farm animals nap?

(11 Posts)
ifigoup Thu 24-May-18 14:36:52

On a train and idly looking out of the window at fields of cows, sheep etc. There are lots of young ‘uns out at this time of year, but you always see them standing up munching grass with their mothers. So it struck me: do these kinds of baby animals ever nap, or do they just sleep at night? I know puppies, kittens, and presumably lion cubs etc. do nap.

Hoppinggreen Thu 24-May-18 14:38:43

Yes they do

Hoppinggreen Thu 24-May-18 14:40:10

Sorry pressed too soon
They are essentially prey animals though so won’t crash out for hours like human babies or even puppies and kittens but they will have naps.

Ploppymoodypants Thu 24-May-18 14:41:57

Yep lots. Love seeing little foals and calves all lanky legged and snoozing contentedly in the buttercups whilst mummy munches on the grass, keeping guard.

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 24-May-18 14:43:01

There's a barn full of calves right outside my window. Most of them are snoozing. smile

ifigoup Thu 24-May-18 14:50:50

Well, that sounds enchanting. I just wondered since human young are generally so helpless and rubbish compared with other species. I will never stop being astounded at the way e.g. a giraffe is born, drops a couple of metres to the ground, then just gets up and starts walking around straight away.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 24-May-18 14:55:30

Our helplessness is a function of big brains + walking upright. It's definitely a proof of evolution. No designer would have put those two things together!

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 24-May-18 15:02:16

@MrsTerry and of being born at a point where we're just not fit for independent survival. If human pregnancy was about 2 years 9 months long we'd be born at an appropriate stage of development...

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 24-May-18 15:13:59

Considering I threw up for most of it, I wouldn't vote for that option.

Joan90 Thu 24-May-18 16:04:32

Our goal spends great chunks of the day flat out asleep in the field.

Joan90 Thu 24-May-18 16:04:42

Foal

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: