Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What clothes do you wear? Mid 30’s-mid 40’s?

(21 Posts)
twinklz Thu 24-May-18 11:52:00

Hi all

I’m stuck in a clothes rut.

What do you all wear on an average day and what type of style. I mean, if you say you wear coats, shorts,hats, trainers etc, where are they from and what style?

I’m looking for ideas on casual wear mainly. I’m in a right rut!

Thanks 🙂

IamPickleRick Thu 24-May-18 11:54:06

Oh god. I am lapsed alternative but probably crossing over in to mainstream mum right now. Turned up jeans, DMs or converse, band t shirt but lately I am favouring a Breton stripe 🙈

Trooperslane2 Thu 24-May-18 11:58:16

I'm mid 40's I am surely not, this could not have happened

Live in Top Shop Joni high wasted jeans and tops from Oasis, jackets from Zara and River Island - all via ASOS.

I buy a shit tonne of stuff to try on at home and then send half of it back, but it's free delivery and free returns and I've always found the service brilliant. And you can try stuff on when you can be arsed, give DH the side eye when he's looking at you

When I went back to work after mat leave I booked a personal shopping session in House of Fraser which was excellent and got some stuff which I would never in a million years have even looked at...... I've just remembered some of it now and I wish I hadn't given it away when I put on weight because I've lost it now <boo>

Have just treated myself for my birthday on a pair of Vans - really chunky soles. In the Summer I live in my Havianas.

NotARegularPenguin Thu 24-May-18 12:01:42

I tend to wear dresses quite a bit as I don’t have to think about what coordinates with what.

I shop all over, not high fashion at all. So fat face, joules, Gap, h&m, Tesco and Sainsbury’s even. ASOS quite a bit. Not sure I’m the most on trend person but think I look vaguely presentable in a casual type style.

Some recent purchases;

coat

dress

skirt

vest top

fantasmasgoria1 Thu 24-May-18 12:17:56

Early 40s dress totally goth/ alternative.

Hoppinggreen Thu 24-May-18 12:20:15

Mid 40s
Usually girlfriend jeans from Baujken or Boden chinos
Lots of Mint Velvet tops and some Boden and Hush.
Smart trainers, usually slip ons
Bit boring I suppose but I think I generally look ok

snotato Thu 24-May-18 12:21:33

Im 30.
For casual every day wear, I normally wear diesel jeans (the only kind I have found to be flattering on my bum) , those slouchy t-shirts from primark which are really comfy,cheap as chips and come in a variety of colours, and Adidas trainers.

QOFE Thu 24-May-18 12:28:14

Lots of black but always with something bright or sparkly.

I make clothes for a living so lots of really bright or unusual leggings, tops, and dresses I've made for myself. Mermaid scale or peacock feathers or galaxy type prints for example.

Mostly shortish skirts or denim shorts with leggings and a hoodie or jumper tbh. Jeans dig in so although I have lots I only wear them for short bursts blush

Today it's galaxy leggings I made myself, a short black ruched skirt, a silver and black sparkly jumper and purple trainers.

UserInfinityplus1 Thu 24-May-18 12:29:46

I'm 38. For work I always wear simple dresses because it takes the need for me to 'think' about coordinating outfits out of the equation. Mornings are hectic with having to get the children ready for school and get on at train for 7am. I bought some lovely, thick winter dresses from Gap last year and if you sign up to their website they often give up to 40 percent off.

For casual wear I like jeggins, bretton top or a plain jumper/t-shirt and Adidas Gazelles. In summer cotton leggings or cropped jeans and a long t-shirt or tunic and sandals.

aintnothinbutagstring Thu 24-May-18 13:03:31

Im 33, love H&M as fashionable but often comfortable, cheap and not too young (say like Topshop, RI). Like Zara too for jeans and jackets/coats, accessories.

JessiCake Thu 24-May-18 13:09:08

I'm 41 and get a huge amount from Uniqlo. Their leggings trousers are fab. Also their plain knit tops/cardigans'sweaters in neutral colours.

Don't have much budget for anything higher-end these days but if you have a bit of cash to splash then Hush, Mint Velvet, Jigsaw all have nice things.

I work form home and am a mum so I don't need smart gear, I live in leggings trousers/skinny jeans (which are a bit passe but suit me), I have a lot of Breton tops but I find them boring so I'm trying to brach out! Being happy with your footwear and accessories is key, then you can keep it streamline elsewhere.

I like Esther Walker's blog onthespike for this sort of stuff, she has some great posts on capsule wardrobes. May not suit your style but I like a lot of her suggestions.

Try asking on the Style and Beauty board too, there are some very helpful and stylish people on there who've helped me pull myself out of the style doldrums I was in a few years ago after having DC.

ILoveMyDressingGown Thu 24-May-18 13:09:31

Late 30s and I wear cheap stuff out of asda or tesco as I have no money. Black trousers and a top of some sort for work and jeans and a top of some description at home. I'm overweight though. I lost 2 stone, bought a load of new clothes from next, h&m, Levi's and select, and then put all the weight back on so I'm back in my old, scruffy stuff until I can get my act together again.

DelurkingAJ Thu 24-May-18 13:40:47

Late 30s. Utterly delighted to discover that high waisted jeans are back (yes, I am late to that party) as this means that many of my more cropped tshirts are now able to be worn again without me worrying about my lack of toned tummy.

So, jeans, t-shirts and flats for home. Pretty much exactly what I wore 10 years ago...most of it is the same clothing, if I’m honest, a few bits have gone as being too young but not much.

EmmaStone Thu 24-May-18 14:00:51

42, work in media, so don't need special work clothes. I shop all over, but have lots of success in Cos.

Example outfits this week:
Today: skinny jeans (Paige skinnies - bought at outlet in US so not too eye-wateringly expensive. I like the fit so have 3 pairs), Cos shirt, Nike trainers.

Yesterday: Oversized shirt dress from Monki over skinny jeans, trainers

Previous: T shirt and jeans.

I get told quite a lot that I'm stylish. I'm not sure that I am to be honest, but I'm slim, and 5'7" which I think helps perception. I'm also quite interested in clothes and fashion, and I think I dress my shape and personal style fairly well - I definitely have a comfort zone and won't buy anything that makes me feel uncomfortable (even if someone says it looks nice).

EmmaStone Thu 24-May-18 14:02:36

Oh, and also, I love a good accessory - I like a crazy necklace, and have lots of different pairs of earrings. I do like a "statement piece"!

mirime Thu 24-May-18 14:03:22

I'm early 40s and tend to wear leggings or jeans and tunic style tips, or long skirts and a bit of of a hippyish look.

NotARegularPenguin Thu 24-May-18 14:04:13

I’d love any tips on where to get some interesting necklaces from.

loopylou6 Thu 24-May-18 14:17:43

I'm 35, I wear mainly leggings with tunic type tops that cover my bum and belly, or I wear those really loose printed pants

MrsPear Thu 24-May-18 14:18:33

37 - how? - anyway clothes wise I have just done an overhaul for summer. So loafers, Birkenstocks and brown leather sandals. Jeans - slim leg. A few shirts. The only thing that has changed are t shirts - no longer tight or cropped as it is not fair to society. I just bought a orange pineapple print dress from other stories for summer.

Today I’m in a chambray shirt, black slim jeans and bet lynch loafers. Maybe not the height of fashion but presentable.

EmmaStone Thu 24-May-18 14:22:51

Zara is an excellent source for a (reasonably priced) crazy necklace, especially abroad. I also like Decadorn (for slightly more tasteful pieces!). I pick things up here and there really - quite an inexpensive way to liven up a plain top, and always commented on.

I still laugh when I was on holiday with some friends, and I saw 2 mad necklaces and couldn't decide which to buy. My friend asked when I'd wear one of them (which had pompoms and shells), and I said - errrr, every fricking day lol.

Trooperslane2 Thu 24-May-18 14:23:00

Um.
I don't know what wasted jeans are.
Maybe the ones I've been wearing for 10 years?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: