Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

I need positive tales of summer born school children ..

(145 Posts)
waterrat Thu 24-May-18 09:45:17

I am in pieces every time I think of my baby starting school in September - I have 2 older kids so you would think it would feel okay but my little summer born is still only 3 ! It seems insane that she will be at school with only 2 adults for all 30 kids.

Our local school is lovely so I know I need to get a grip - I've considered delaying her but have decided against for various reasons.

would love positive tales about littlests who loved school and flourished...

bigarse1 Thu 24-May-18 09:50:38

my daughter is almost 7 and just finishing year 3. her birthday is 30th aug so she started school literally 4 days after she turned 4 and was the youngest it was possible to be. she had friends that were 4 or 5 days younger and they all went in the year below. we really worried but I have to say she sailed through! our only problem was the physical tiredness as she was so much younger then children who turned 5 a few days after she turned 4. we negotiated with the school and she did half days for a while and then built up but honestly, friendship, work etc she does fine and is at the top of the class. you really wont know until you do it but be warned that she may either by ridiculously tired or hyper. I know someone who only sent their child 4 days a week for the first term as they were just too tired by the friday

PermanentPortakabin Thu 24-May-18 09:51:11

My ds is a summer born. Youngest of 3 (with a large gap, so very much ‘the baby’ grin). And he has social communication difficulties too.

He has thrived from day 1. Loves it all. Totally enthusiastic about everything. Has good friends, is in the middle of everything, is well known and well liked (by teachers too!)

I remember that horrible feeling of organising school stuff for my tiny 3 year old, but it can be ok, it really can.

Likeawolf Thu 24-May-18 09:55:01

My daughter was a summer baby. She is now a teen and thriving at school -- does spectacularly well academically and is more mature than many of her peers (this comes from other people, not just her biased parents!)

She also loves having a birthday in the summer...

My son is a winter baby and currently very bored in his last year at primary -- he would have been ready to move on to secondary last September.

So one positive tale at least -- I completely understand how you feel and do think our system could be improved but I think it tends to work out in the end even if the start or end of the primary years is tricky or challenging...

FiveShelties Thu 24-May-18 09:56:00

27th August here, loved school and had no problems with being the youngest in my year. My best friend through school was born 1st September so was almost one year older, but in the same year and class.

ShowOfHands Thu 24-May-18 10:01:19

I have a May baby and a September 3rd baby. The September baby was the oldest in his class but not ready at all. He found settling very hard indeed and still finds it all a bit of a challenge at age 6. My May baby was 4yrs 4 months and actually the youngest in her class. She was more than ready and now on the cusp of secondary school, is exceedingly bright and happy. She thrived from day 1. It does depend on the child but ime reception itself is a calm, playful transition and the biggest challenge is the fatigue after a long day.

wizzywig Thu 24-May-18 10:02:36

I'm summer born. Did fine at school, went to uni, been employed. Never in trouble with the police.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 24-May-18 10:05:49

My sister is summer born, I was winter my other sister was spring.
All did really well, all went to RGs, summer born has a PhD

Cattenberg Thu 24-May-18 10:08:53

One of my sister's friends was born in late August. She's now a doctor.

GrasswillbeGreener Thu 24-May-18 10:15:26

My son is July and also doing spectacularly well at school age 12; we've had our wobbles at different stages but I am SO glad he wasn't old in his year as boredom could have been a serious risk, the way he has turned out. I am so glad we aren't in Australia (where we grew up) as he would only be at the beginning of year 7 there rather than just finishing year 8.

Seeline Thu 24-May-18 10:19:43

My DD was born at the end of July and was totally ready for school - more so than her November-born older brother had been. I think having siblings already at school often helps the younger one anyway. She loved the learning and the structure of school.
She is Y9 now and still doing very well. I think the only thing that might have slightly been behind was her social skills - she was happy playing with anyone, but didn't really have a real friend until the end of reception. She didn't seem worried by it though.

HicDraconis Thu 24-May-18 10:22:33

End of July baby here! I started school just after I turned 4 but couldn’t go into the reception class (my mum taught it) so was put up into year 1 with the 5-6 year olds. I flew through school, breezed through exams and took a year out before med school so I’d be 18 turning 19 when I started. No problems socially either.

The only issue I had was that I was smaller / not as coordinated as the other kids so not as good at sports initially, which put me off sports in general.

Shutityoutart Thu 24-May-18 10:23:00

My ds is in year 1 and August born. He’s in the top group for reading and is on gold band reading which is great for his age. He loves school, never had any problems going in at all. I have 2 friends that are August born, one is a Dr and one is a solicitor.

GingerIvy Thu 24-May-18 10:27:00

All 3 of mine are summer born children. Oldest excelled, middle excelling in some areas, youngest was behind but is rapidly catching up now and will likely excel in some areas based on what we're seeing now.

But... these are just not indicative of what you will deal with. Every child is different - I know of some summer borns at pretty much every level - behind, average, excelling. It's more than just "summer born" that affects the outcome. Do the best that you can to support them and encourage learning, watching for anything that might need additional support as you go along. But honestly, most parents would do that no matter when their child is born.

Sometimes I think it gets over-thought.

unintentionalthreadkiller Thu 24-May-18 10:35:42

Dts are still 6, coming to the end of Y2. They are end august birthday, due in the October so if they weren't so premature they would be coming to end of year 1.

They have just finished the (imo completely fucking pointless) Y2 Sats and were expected to be above 100 or working within the expected range whatever it's called.

The only thing they struggled with was sheer tiredness in YR, but tbh they weren't the only ones.

kmmr Thu 24-May-18 10:37:15

My son is August 25th and would have gone this year except we moved countries. In some ways he'd be ok, but in others still seems so young.
Amazingly though the cutoff here is the end of July, so he won't go until Feb 2020. Which is far too far away! He will be very bored at preschool next year I suspect.
He will be 5.5 by the time he starts.

PickleSarnie Thu 24-May-18 10:38:12

My August born son is doing ridiculously well at school. His older brother is the year above but is September born which I was scared would just make the contrast between the two even more obvious and was scared my August born would get frustrated. But he loves school, loves learning, is on White band for reading in year 1 which is really good for any year 1 never mind one of the youngest in the year. Socially I don't think he finds it as easy as his eldest brother. But I think that's just down to differing personalities as opposed to age.

NowtSalamander Thu 24-May-18 10:41:05

Summer born can be a feature but school is really about personality, ability and stamina. My eldest is a summer born but has been ok; definitely worried more about my second who is one of the oldest in the class. The eldest was definitely more knackered though, but that might just be stamina again!

aintnothinbutagstring Thu 24-May-18 11:05:47

My dd's bday is end of august. She's due to start yr 6 in sep only just having turned 10. Obviously I'm biased (!) but she is by far not only one of the most academic in her class but athletic also. She has always been very sociable so loved preschool and took to school reasonably well. The only thing I would say is that emotionally, she probably wasn't as mature as her older classmates, that probably still stands actually. But overall, I feel she is a summer born success story.

I did get criticised by a practise nurse once for not planning dd better, I think she felt she could as I'm a relatively young mum. Only dd was born prem and was actually due October, so I often felt it was quite unfair that she had to deal with being prem, not having a great start and then chucked into school too soon.

EmmaStone Thu 24-May-18 11:07:24

DH is an August baby - he went to an excellent University and got a job with a big 4 accountancy firm on graduation (he's still there nearly 25 years later).

DD is late July - she's now nearly 13 and won an academic scholarship to her school.

DS10 is late June - he has other issues (ASD), but has always been fine at school. They both did get tired in the first term and sometimes fell asleep, but they weren't the first (or only) children to be like that, the teachers knew how to handle it. Both still had accidents occasionally too - again, the school just dealt with it.

Now that you can delay school starting for summer-borns, I may have done so for my DS, not sure about DD...

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 24-May-18 11:08:18

DS1 doesn't quite fit your bill as he's in June, but he's doing very well at school and has had no issues. Same story for DS2 who is in July. DH is also a July baby and is a high academic achiever, so there's some long term data for you grin

Thiswayorthatway Thu 24-May-18 11:09:09

Me. I don't think my summer birthday had held me back grin

FullOfJellyBeans Thu 24-May-18 11:10:43

I think it's a massive advantage having older siblings, she'll be used to bigger kids and the younger ones are usually a little more mature and independent.

postcardsfrom Thu 24-May-18 11:14:39

End of July, DD thriving at school despite being only 5 and in her 2nd year of school! Happy, confident, and very determined. It's not ideal sending kids to school so young - and I think that for ALL British kids - but she really strives to keep up and as a result is much more resilient that early spring born older sibling.
Also my DP was a late summer baby and all round academically, professionally and in sports one of the most successful people I have ever known. And puts it down to always having to keep up with the big kids...

Abetes Thu 24-May-18 11:17:40

My dd is Summer born, second child with a four year age gap to his older sister.

He was offered places at three super academic independent schools at 7+ entry despite the fact that everyone told me that Summer borns are never offered places at this age because the disadvantage is too great. He won academic prizes in junior school, has played in the sports teams and generally has had no problems at all. I’m sure yours will be fine. Having older siblings makes such a difference to their maturity and ability to handle things because they have seen someone do it before.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: