Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Can a newborn sleep too much?

(23 Posts)
GobbyLino Thu 24-May-18 05:32:09

It feels ridiculous to even write that but here we are.

I had DC2 on Saturday. I've got quite a big gap between kids so have forgotten everything. DC1 as a baby from the beginning was always awake like clockwork every 3 hours to feed. Both babies bottle fed. However my new baby for the last 2 nights has slept for 6 hours straight until I wake up in a panic and wake them up for a nappy and feed.

If I Google there's a lot to say I should wake them up every 3 hours. This seems like madness and how am I meant to do that when I'm sleeping myself. They are feeding pooing and weeing just fine when they're awake and waking up about every 3 hours in the day. They also do spend some time awake.

Would appreciate any advice

43percentburnt Thu 24-May-18 05:42:09

Has baby been tested for jaundice? My baby had very bad jaundice and was tested at home and admitted immediately, when she deteriorated in hospital she slept for hours. She did not look jaundice at all.

Congratulations on your baby by the way.

GobbyLino Thu 24-May-18 05:46:50

At the hospital they were tested for jaundice but I know it can take a while to show up sometimes. They have no other symptoms though I don't think.

CluelessMummy Thu 24-May-18 05:51:50

I thought you were only supposed to wake them every three hours if there was a concern about weight gain? My DD dropped 9% of her body weight after birth so I was advised to do this, but once the midwife said I could stop (she'd put it back on and then some), DD would often sleep 4,5,6 hours a night. She was a terrible day sleeper though - and it didn't last, so unless there is any other concern I'd make the most of it!

GobbyLino Thu 24-May-18 06:00:24

I'm completely sure it won't last and I will curse myself for complaining grin

I forgot how much there was to overthink and worry about when they're this tiny!

MigGril Thu 24-May-18 06:12:22

Has poo changed colour, from black to baby poo. Are nappies nice and wet, have they been out a reweight yet?

If nappies are good then should be Ok, but young babies being this sleepy can be a sign of things like jaundice. You can get someone to come out and check your baby if your concerned just give them a ring.

donajimena Thu 24-May-18 06:15:09

My second was like this. Mr Sleepy Sleeperson we used to call him. He still loves his sleep now and he's 13. Never had you seen such an alert and perky mother of a new born. I didn't wake him but I did used to dream feed him when I went to bed at 1030.
However, it is always worth asking your HV to put your mind at rest.

lolalotta Thu 24-May-18 06:16:39

Yes they can. Deffo check with a midwife. My baby slept a lot and it turns out she was very poorly. Can't hurt having a chat about your concerns xxx

junebirthdaygirl Thu 24-May-18 06:17:09

Its good baby is waking for lots of feed during the day as its so important they get liquid . Otherwise they can develop jaundice. My ds had to be woken every three hours as jaundice causing him to be sleepy therefore not getting enough and making jaundice worse. Has your health visitor seen baby ?

donajimena Thu 24-May-18 06:17:16

Btw mine did last! Never had a bad night with him and he napped in the day too. My eldest on the other hand. Sleep was for wimps sad

Dontknowwhatimdoing Thu 24-May-18 06:25:01

Mine was like that. He literally just woke to feed for the first few weeks and would sleep 6 hours at night from his first few days. I was told to keep an eye on how he was when he was awake. Because he was obviously alert there were no concerns, and I was just lucky to have a baby that likes to sleep. Hopefully yours is the same. Definitely worth asking the midwife to put your mind at rest though.

RicStar Thu 24-May-18 06:26:15

Yes newborns can be too sleepy - jaundice / blood sugar / failure to feed well and some rarer conditions equally if they are a good feeder and a healthy weight a bit of nighttime sleep is good for all. My ds was breastfed but did 5 hours from early on - I was worried as dd had feeding issues but he never lost any weight and had no problems - so I would just keep a close eye and run it by whoevers care you are under midwife or GP.

User0ne Thu 24-May-18 08:31:12

Yes they can be too sleepy.

However in the absence of any other concerns (adequate weight gain, alert when awake, pooing and weeing normally, no jaundice etc) I'd thank your lucky stars and go with it

Shufflebumnessie Thu 24-May-18 12:59:50

DD (baby #2) was like this. Considering that DS didn't sleep for longer than 40 minutes day or night for the first few months,having a newborn that slept for hours at night was a real shock (& worry!). Everything was absolutely fine & that's just how DD was. Most nights I'd wake in a panic thinking something was really wrong but she was just a sleepyhead - even if I tried to get her to latch on before she had woken up naturally she just wouldn't!!
Unfortunately it didn't last & from about 4 - 11 months she was needing a feed several times a night but thankfully she is sleeping much better again now (14 months).
As long as there are no underlying health conditions then just enjoy it whilst it lasts!! grin

Bettyfood Thu 24-May-18 14:58:44

I don't think it's a concern if they are pooing, weeing and feeding ok in the daytime. Are you not still having midwife visits? Ask the midwife if she has any concerns.

Willitbe Thu 24-May-18 22:04:21

I would watch for jaundice, I was caught out by my dc3, due to sleeping through the night for a few days, turned out to be very jaundice, and needed to go to hospital.

mathanxiety Fri 25-May-18 06:11:30

Yes they can sleep too much and miss out on feedings as a result. It can cause serious problems including brain damage and even worse if feedings are insufficient.

Please set your clock and wake your baby to feed even though you will feel exhausted and it may seem completely counter-intuitive to wake a sleeping baby.

DD4 lost 11% of her newborn weight this way. She would have been hospitalised if I hadn't sworn to the doctor who saw her at ten days that I would do mixed feedings and return for weigh ins every two days. I did as instructed and she rebounded. But she would have ended up with jaundice and possibly very ill otherwise.

Please have her weighed. DD4 was wetting and pooing.

Has your milk come in?

Jackyjill6 Fri 25-May-18 06:45:40

If your baby is feeding 3 hourly during the day it sounds fine. As you are bottle feeding you can see how much is being taken, and you haven't mentioned jaundice so that's not a problem.

mathanxiety Fri 25-May-18 06:47:10

Sorry - you are bottle feeding, ignore question about milk coming in.

HelloCanYouHearMe Fri 25-May-18 06:52:25

DS was like this - we ended up having to wake him in the night for feeds because he loat weight, however he would never fully wake and would go back down pretty much instantly.

Then all hell broke loose at 6 wks grin

MaverickSnoopy Fri 25-May-18 06:58:37

My first was like this. Don't get me wrong we had plenty of can't put her down moments, but if I recall correctly she probably slept about 20 hours out of 24 for a good while and did regular long stretches of sleep.

She did have a touch of jaundice but was only prescribed more sun to resolve it and it went away quite quickly, whereas the sleep stayed the same. She slept through from 9 weeks and still loves her sleep now at 6yo.

I remember day time naps where I'd pop her on the sofa next to me and she'd sleep for 3 hours at a time. It was quite a shock when DD2 was born who required rocking/shhhing/walking/bouncing to sleep and then only slept for 20 mins.

Enko Fri 25-May-18 07:02:10

if there is plenty of wet nappies, poop is a healthy looking colour and he is gaining weight and not looking jaundice he can have 1 sleep of that length as long as he has his food over the rest of the day so he gets the amount he needs. However if any of those are not present then you need to wake earlier and get feeds into him etc..

All of mine have been sleepy babies and I have never had the early fog of lack of sleep from waking constantly when they were newborn. However it takes a lot of strength to allow them to sleep for 6 hours you really do worry. Keep a close eye on nappies they will tell you the most.. If any of the signs are not there then wake and get him fed..

GobbyLino Sat 26-May-18 07:23:40

Thankyou all for the great advice we had a midwife visit and baby has put on weight so there were no further concerns

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: