Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Chris Van Tulliken Calpol

(15 Posts)
Rach5l Thu 24-May-18 00:07:14

Just watched his BBC program re calpol, I've only given it to dc when they've had a temperature & it works every time. He said it should only be given if your child is in distress, not to treat the temp, but I've never known my kids to have a temp & not be distressed!
It feels fucking awful having a temperature, I'd take paracetamol myself if I had one I don't get his point

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 24-May-18 00:13:20

The point was that it doesn't do anything to lower the temperature, so it should only be given if your child is in pain/distressed. Children can have a fever and cope ok without needing pain relief. I don't think he's suggest

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 24-May-18 00:13:30

... suggest

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 24-May-18 00:14:08

Blimey, sorry my phone's going nuts..

He's not suggesting withholding pain relief.

BWatchWatcher Thu 24-May-18 00:14:19

He showed parents and their children who had created a Calpol habit. Child who is in discomfort, given calpol, happiness. Child craves comforting Calpol hit.
Paracetamol is actually a pretty serious medicine i can’t imagine that much given regularly does children much good.

BWatchWatcher Thu 24-May-18 00:18:15

(I say pretty serious in that you shouldn’t be chugging pints of it, but not suggesting it’s like cocaine)

Itscurtainsforyou Thu 24-May-18 00:20:26

Hmm - I've been told by numerous HCPs to give either/both calpol and nurofen to bring down a temperature. Each time it's done the job.

Itsveryhard Thu 24-May-18 00:34:31

I didn't see the program but I know that paracetamol will bring down my children's temperature. Is that just a coincidence that giving Calpol has made their temp go down then?

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 24-May-18 00:37:43

There's a range of research that shows that paracetamol isn't very effective or not effective at all at being temperatures down. Most fevers are self limiting anyway, whether you give pain relief or not.

PerfectlyDone Thu 24-May-18 00:50:07

Too many people give Calpol/Paracetamol suspension for all sorts of nonsense reasons: to help baby sleep (not a sedative), to stop baby crying (well, it won't work if baby is upset for some other reason than pain), "because the like it" hmm.

It does have some effect on fever, but people seem to forget that fever is there for a reason and not in itself to be feared.

Fever + grumpiness = Calpol in our house
Fever + content child = crack on, encourage them to drink and see how it goes.

ijustwannadance Thu 24-May-18 00:59:28

The women who had a stupid number of calpol syringes all over the house (just bin them ffs. You get one in every box!) seemed to be using it as a pacifier.

My baby had jabs recently and I was told to give calpol straight away then another 2 doses during the day.

poca Thu 24-May-18 07:44:47

Too many people give Calpol/Paracetamol suspension for all sorts of nonsense reasons: to help baby sleep (not a sedative), to stop baby crying (well, it won't work if baby is upset for some other reason than pain), "because the like it" .

Most people know it isn't a sedative but it might help them sleep if teething pain is keeping them up.

I don't really recognise this idea that paracetamol doesn't reduce a fever, it always has with my children.

And I find it hard to believe any parents give their child calpol just because they like it!

TheBlackLodge Thu 24-May-18 07:53:05

I was really shocked at how much Calpol that woman had gone through in such a short time! I think we've probably had fewer than five bottles total, and my kids are 9 and 6 now. Maybe they were unusually healthy babies but I don't remember giving it more than a handful of times per year to either of them. And I always bought the generic one!

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 24-May-18 07:57:55

I give calpol if my children are in pain. We don't go through that much of it.

CurlsandCurves Thu 24-May-18 09:04:11

Reminded me of the whole Medised thing about 10 years ago, parents were using it to get their kids to sleep, or using it for any kind of pain and creating a habit.

I myself was a Phenergan baby, terrible sleeper so my mum gave me this. She told me she would go to a different pharmacy each time so they wouldn’t think badly of her!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: