Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Full time working mums - how do you do it?

(130 Posts)
Acidrain Wed 23-May-18 21:30:41

First week back at work after having ds who is 6.5months, both me and partner work full time, he works 5 days, I work 4 days.
How do you fit in housework around your life?
I'm not willing to sacrifice the time I get with ds on an evening after work to do polishing, washing etc.
Once he's in bed, I crack on with organising for the morning, sort out the pets, do some exercise.
When do you fit in mundane jobs like polishing, hoovering the stairs, changing bedding, doing washing? Am I loving in a fantasy world where I thought I could have it all, full time job, amazing family life and a clean tidy house? Never mind the garden...
Feeling slightly overwhelmed..

Nishky Wed 23-May-18 21:31:38

Cleaner

Acidrain Wed 23-May-18 21:31:49

Living not loving

BumpowderSneezeonAndSnot Wed 23-May-18 21:32:34

Lowered our standards

Sprinklesinmyelbow Wed 23-May-18 21:33:16

Cleaner here too!

Middleoftheroad Wed 23-May-18 21:34:16

Lowered our standards too

BossWitch Wed 23-May-18 21:34:25

We don't do most of those things. Both of us work full time. Our house is not very clean. We now have v v low standards!

TeachesOfPeaches Wed 23-May-18 21:34:59

Don't waste time polishing for a start.

Tinycitrus Wed 23-May-18 21:35:04

I work ft with three children. No cleaner.

I have lowered my standards. I spend slot of weekends doing housework, washing, ironing.

That’s real life I’m afraid

Creasey31 Wed 23-May-18 21:35:04

Lowering standards 👈🏻 for us! We do it when we can and don’t stress about it

Temporaryanonymity Wed 23-May-18 21:35:12

Full time working, single mum.

I prioritise kids over cleaning. They have their own chores so pull their weight. I also try not to make a mess and clean whilst doing something else.

I don't iron, and have a gardener and a cleaner. I also work from home a few times a week, that helps too.

BuffyFan Wed 23-May-18 21:35:34

Completely lowered our standards. The house is a mess. I consider it a successful week if the kitchen is clean, the laundry basket isn't overflowing and the living room is hoovered. The rest can wait until our childcare costs go down and we can afford a cleaner or for me to reduce my hours at work a little.

60sname Wed 23-May-18 21:35:52

Cleaner for the cleaning, bag up washing before bed ready to shove in machine when I get home (we don't run washer or dryer when we're out).

Change bed less often than ideal, just before bedtime.

Polishing is not a thing here.

Place stays pretty clean and tidy during the week though, since we're mostly out grin

Jesuisleloup Wed 23-May-18 21:35:54

As others have said, if you can afford it please get a cleaner. Or get used to the idea that you will have to spend a lot of your weekend cleaning and tidying etc

Dermymc Wed 23-May-18 21:35:55

Cleaner

I work full time as a teacher so pick up LO 4ish then once he's in bed at 7 start work again til 10ish.

I live for the weekends and holidays to be honest.

Washing gets thrown on in the evening and pegged out in the morning. Polishing happens in the holidays. Garden takes 2 hours every couple of weeks to mow the lawn and trim stuff. I do this in nap time.

How long does organising for the morning and pets take? Surely not over an hour. Assuming baby's in bed 7ish you have plenty of time to clean.

My standards are low.

Lallypopstick Wed 23-May-18 21:36:12

Cleaner once a fortnight and a ten minute tidy up (both of us) after the baby is in bed.

Clothes washing gets done at weekends.

IckleWicklePumperNickle Wed 23-May-18 21:36:13

Lowered standards too. That was the only way.

CMOTDibbler Wed 23-May-18 21:36:20

Low standards and we both do our share

TalkFastThinkSlow Wed 23-May-18 21:36:30

I have a partner who pulls his weight

DelurkingAJ Wed 23-May-18 21:37:00

Cleaner and serious childcare (i.e. will have DC if I’ll). DH does 50%. I do admin in my lunch break (work are fab and I genuinely can take an hour so quick sandwich plus organising car insurance was today’s win). Present drawer and birthday card stash. Online groceries sometimes (I quite enjoy going to the supermarket otherwise it would be weekly). Keep a list of stuff somewhere everyone can see it and add stuff (or tick it off when done!). Decent filing system (am less good at this than I would like). Diary kept up to date (I liaise with DH’s secretary in a vain attempt to keep on top of his schedule too).

ISeeTheLight Wed 23-May-18 21:37:33

No cleaner. Both of us work ft, though we moved last year and instead of the 2.5hr commute each day for both of us, my commute is now 10min and DP works from home. This has helped massively.
But yes, lowered standards and we are constantly exhausted.

littleneepo Wed 23-May-18 21:37:46

Firstly lowered standards. Then when DS1 turned 1 we looked at the house, said “shit” and got a cleaner to sort it out!

Sprinklesinmyelbow Wed 23-May-18 21:37:52

Op didn’t say her partner didn’t pull his weight shock

DH and I split everything 50:50 but it’s still a huge challenge (hence, cleaner)

Carboholic Wed 23-May-18 21:38:11

Cleaner for bathroom, floors, bedding.

We don't polish anything.

Laundry - all Saturday, washer - drier - fold. No ironing.

Food delivered. We cook every day.

DropZoneOne Wed 23-May-18 21:38:55

Cleaner - mad tidy round the night before she comes
Hissy fit declutter every few months ("I'm sick of living in this mess" followed by moving boxes of white from house to garage and eventually off the premises - DH and I equally likely to do this)
Washing and ironing frenzy at the weekend
Online food shopping
Amazon Prime

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: