Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

*Light-hearted* parental white lies

(104 Posts)
TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 23-May-18 20:32:27

Friend is currently in disbelief, her whole world has been turned around and she is wondering what else she doesn't know grin *

We ordered a chippy tea and she got fish and chips, started eating it and she was complaining about the fish not being right etc, other friend tried it and said it's normal but friend was insisting it tasted odd.

Turns out she hasn't had fish and chips since she was a teenager, and they used to have fish and chips on a Friday and mum and dad would have large fish and chips and they would have small fish and chips, which made sense as they were children. In the end she left the fish called her mum to see if it was different in their local chippy or something and her mum was laughing, turns out what they actually had was potato scallops because it was a lot cheaper getting 1 portion of them than 4 extra fish, but they just referred to it as "oh yours is just small fish that's all" and her mum couldn't believe she didn't know (she's now 32) and is now calling the other 3 to break it to them grin

* In reality, she is shocked, amused and confused, but mostly amused

Would love to hear things you misunderstood, were told little while lies about or have been economical with the truth about with your DC - this is intended to be light-hearted smile

TeaBelle Wed 23-May-18 20:35:25

My dad told me that the queen had an operation so that she never goes to the toilet. I was never 100% convinced that he was pulling my leg

pallisers Wed 23-May-18 20:38:36

My mother told me feathers were alive (but I actually think she believed this). Find them a bit creepy to this day.

My aunt told her children that her favourite chocolate biscuit was poisonous to children.

snowwhiteandthesevendogs Wed 23-May-18 20:39:08

what are potato scallops?

wanderings Wed 23-May-18 20:52:03

I'm sure I heard that children's prisons existed, like the one in Jacob Two-Two meets the Hooded Fang.

hazeydays14 Wed 23-May-18 20:57:03

My grandmother told us that my uncle lost his forearm by sticking it out of the car window. He was born like it but I didn’t know that until I was in my late teens. Safe to say we kept all arms and legs safely inside the car as kids! grin

MotherforkingShirtballs Wed 23-May-18 20:59:55

what are potato scallops?

It's a slice of potato, battered and deep fried.

Itsnotmesothere Wed 23-May-18 21:01:34

Pulling stupid faces. If the wind changes it will stick like that Hazeydays14 evilgrin

hotchips Wed 23-May-18 21:04:26

My Dad told me that a prick was someone who worked in an allotment. He was actually referring to an individual we could see stood in the allotment as a prick and didn't realise I was listening. I still thought a prick was an allotment worker until I was in my 20s.

CharlieandLolaCat Wed 23-May-18 21:31:26

My sisters and I are in our 40s. We used to have 4 sheep. When they had lambs the male lambs would be taken away and slaughtered and then we were told they were 'swapped for a lamb of an equivalent weight'.

A couple of years ago we were eating lamb and my mum started to laugh and said wasn't it funny how we believed them. Literally stunned silence. None of us had a clue.

Some of those lambs we hand reared. Charlie lived in the house with us for a couple of weeks. Still not over it.

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 23-May-18 21:34:56

I was convinced it was against the law to have the little light on in the back of the car, until I was far older than I care to admit blush

I think it was to try and get us either asleep or tired during late driving, and not strain our eyes trying to read in the dark, as we were all bookworms so would most likely be reading if we were stuck in the car, unless on long journeys when it was broken up with car games and singing too

PoptartPoptart Wed 23-May-18 21:50:39

TellMeItsNotTrue - me too! grin

crispsahoy Wed 23-May-18 21:58:45

I used to tell my dc's that when the ice cream van played the music there was no ice creams left.
Even after being bought ice creams from a music playing truck ds1 still believed me......wonder if he still thinks it??

doleritedinosaur Wed 23-May-18 22:09:07

I told my DS that Fanta has milk in it as he can’t have dairy.
Been 6 months so far that he’s believed me for.

ginswinger Wed 23-May-18 22:38:30

I grew up thinking that a host of common garden plants were called things like 'mulberry bush' (hydrangea). That's entirely down to my parents who lacked a formal plant education.

My daughter will tell anyone who cares to enquire, that she is allergic to cigarettes and will die if she has one. I don't know who told her that but I suspect the grandparents. She also believes all pigeons are called Colin but I'll admit to that one.

iloveMiWadi Wed 23-May-18 22:46:55

That the filling in fig rolls were made of spiders legs. Still don't eat them!

Fluffyears Wed 23-May-18 22:48:45

As a pre-school child my Mum and I would walk to the local village shops. We passed some sheltered housing and I would wave to a very very elderly lady who always smiled as she waved enthusiastically back to me. I think it made her day to have that small interaction with a young child. One day her chair was empty....I asked my mum where was the lady and she said she had gone to live with her family. On the same walk I also used to pass a donkey in a field and pat his head and one day he was also gone. My mum said he’d give to a bigger farm with tastier grass.

Many years later we were talking and I mentioned these and my mums jaw stopped and she said ‘you don’t still believe that do you? I was trying to spare your feelings’. Yes my elderly friend and the donkey had passed away 😦

DickensianHysteric Wed 23-May-18 22:56:19

I'm starting to think that the dogs next door didn't "frighten" my guinea pigs to death... hmm

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 23-May-18 22:59:49

MiWadi I can't eat Eccles cakes because my older sisters told me they were dead fly cakes, obviously I know it's not true but I just can't bring myself to eat one!

Excitedforxmas Wed 23-May-18 23:04:30

My hubbies dog went to live on the farm ! He only recently discovered what that meant!

divafever99 Wed 23-May-18 23:04:45

It's not against the law to drive with the little light on inside??!! shock

Abstardust Wed 23-May-18 23:05:56

I was doing some crafts when little and used the stick bits of sellotape onto my fingers ready to used. My DM's friend was round and she had the tip of a finger missing. She told me it's happened by pulling sellotape of her finger while wrapping a present. I believed it for years until my DF told me the truth, even know I won't have stripes of tape on my fingers.

imip Wed 23-May-18 23:07:28

I tell my children that when the ice cream van plays music it means they have no ice cream left.

They are late primary age now and clearly know I’ve lied!

I think it is illegal to have a light on inside a car!

BlueTrousers Wed 23-May-18 23:08:01

Wait, what?! It’s legal to have the light on inside the car??
I really thought it wasn’t, why would they lie about this? I tell me children this! shock
You never see moving cars with internal lights on though ... are you sure OP?

Reaa Wed 23-May-18 23:09:06

divafever99
Same thoughts here blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: