Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Any ideas on how to scrap together £300 in 10 days

(31 Posts)
IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 23-May-18 19:47:33

I do realise I’m asking the impossible but any ideas would be lovingly received!

I’ve had an unexpected bill that I have to pay by 4th June, I could probably borrow the money off a friend or family but I’d rather leave that as my last option.

I’ve got some bits to go on eBay but that will only get me £75 at the most. I’ve put a message on our local neighbourhood site offering babysitting (am a fully qualified nanny so not as random as it seems!) but I can’t help but wonder if I’m missing anything!

Thank you MN mind wink

GloucesterRd Wed 23-May-18 19:49:45

Car boot sale at the weekend? Instant money unlike eBay.

lostinjapan Wed 23-May-18 20:12:11

Matched betting? It’s not something I’ve tried myself because I find the ‘how to’ guides a bit confusing. But it’s risk-free and supposedly very lucrative if you know what you’re doing (with emphasis on the last part of that sentence).

Have you recently bought any clothes or other items with tags still on that you could return?

Some banks pay you for switching your current account to them (although I guess that takes longer than 10 days to come through?).

I would also try Facebook selling as well as eBay. It’s better for selling low value items as buyers can collect for free.

MumofBoysx2 Wed 23-May-18 20:15:04

Beans on toast or jacket potatoes during that week, stir fries, easy cheap meals - cut out wine/beer, maybe do a boot sale?

Carolynnnna Wed 23-May-18 20:16:42

Pawn shop?

Believeitornot Wed 23-May-18 20:18:03

What spends can you not do before the 4th to save money?

LunaDeet Wed 23-May-18 20:19:27

Ring the gas and electric companies and check to see if you’ve overpaid? We’ve just got a refund so if you’re on a monthly DD it could be worth a ring.

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 23-May-18 20:20:20

Thank you!

I’ve just done a Facebook ask if anyone knows of any jumble sales and a friend of mine is doing one on Sunday and has offered me a space on her table which is very kind. Certainly won’t get much but every little helps!

I’ve bought a couple of bits in Asos that I can send back actually. If I send it tomorrow, even taking the bank holiday into account, I should get the money back in time so that’s another £40.

Thank you so much, I hadn’t thought of any of these!

MN hive does it again!

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 23-May-18 20:22:00

My account is £0 right now but absolutely nothing to come out until the 6th (which, Sod’s law is payday!) so nothing to defer.

But I’m feeling far better about it now!

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Wed 23-May-18 20:24:57

Do you have any Euros or dollars in a cupboard somewhere? I tidied the hall cupboard and found the remnants of many trips shoved in there, it came to about £500 I had totally forgotten about.

ISeeTheLight Wed 23-May-18 20:26:43

Can you increase your credit card limit? I'm with Tesco Bank and you can do it easily even on the app. It goes through instantly.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Wed 23-May-18 20:29:30

Any chance of your employer advancing your wages by a few days?

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 23-May-18 20:32:35

Can’t get an advance and I cut up the credit card! (It was a good idea at the time!)

There may be some Euros lying around actually! Not quite £500 mind but a few! Can you change coins aswell as notes?

Thank you!

Almostthere15 Wed 23-May-18 20:33:59

You might have more joy selling on Facebook. It's good for low value items (toys etc).

The other option is to reduce yoir normal expenditure and put that towards it. Have you got any vouchers/points you could use for food shopping that might free up cash, or as another pp has suggested cut back and have a couple of lean weeks?

PlainWhiteTee Wed 23-May-18 20:39:36

You can get good money by selling any gold jewellery you don't wear or want any longer. Odd earrings, broken chains, anything really. I sold some really random old bits and bobs last year and got £350. I was recommended to use Covent Garden Metals, apparently they pay more than many others, and they put the money in my bank the next day. Do you have any old mobile phones? Again, you can sell these online to get money quickly.

ZibbidooZibbidooZibbidoo Wed 23-May-18 20:43:03

I feel for you OP. Im looking round the house now and there’s very little I could sell to raise that kind of money if I needed to. Sorry you have to!!

NewBallsPlease00 Wed 23-May-18 20:46:14

Can you do any bank shifts at nurseries etc? Agency emergency childcare?
Also- the unexpected bill/ could you split payment?

RandomMess Wed 23-May-18 20:47:51

You may be able to sell your Euros on Facebook?

EspressoButler Wed 23-May-18 20:51:42

What sort of bill? If gas/electric/water you can call and give an actual reading instead of estimated and request a new bill. That should give you longer as you have to wait for a new bill to be sent.

Or just call and explain that you can pay on 6th after payday and not 4th. It is only 2 days. Most companies would understand if you let them know in advance that it will be 2 days late

NoSquirrels Wed 23-May-18 20:54:02

Can you increase your overdraft? It's only going to be 2 days you need it for.

IAmSproutycus Wed 23-May-18 20:56:15

Sell any unwanted books on Amazon? Although come to think of it, you get vouchers back, but you could swap the vouchers with someone? Or use the vouchers for food (Bit of a stretch!). I made £400 on it a couple of years ago. I sold some chalet school books from Oxfam for quite a lot.

Oddish Wed 23-May-18 20:58:26

Overdraft, can usually do it online fairly quickly

Namechange128 Wed 23-May-18 21:00:47

If you're a qualified nanny, do you have anyone who can look after your children for an evening or during the day if you offer overnights or emergency daytime nannying? Not sure if you could get that work at short notice, but it pays much better than babysitting.

frasier Wed 23-May-18 21:37:41

Mumsnet has a For Sale and Wanted section.

Rainyshowers Wed 23-May-18 22:17:30

I just switched my current account to Halifax and you get £75 in 7 days. It was really easy to fill in the details online.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: