Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How often do you cry at work?

(61 Posts)
Thisnamechanger Wed 23-May-18 18:47:13

Ballpark?

I've had three meltdowns in the ladies in the past three months and I'm worrying about the effect of work on my MH.

What do others think? Just something that happens sometimes or time to go?

dudsville Wed 23-May-18 18:48:12

Depends, what you do for a living might require letting out some built up emotions from time to time.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Wed 23-May-18 18:49:05

Never.

Meltdowns over work or spillover from your personal life?

Eolian Wed 23-May-18 18:50:42

Once in my life (I'm 46). I very very rarely cry at all though.

Mogleflop Wed 23-May-18 18:52:51

I have meltdowns but they're unpredictable (ASD). I probably properly cry at work a few times a month, but like you I hide when it does happen.

What's going on, are things bad at work?

Thisnamechanger Wed 23-May-18 18:53:06

Meltdowns over work or spillover from your personal life?

Work. It's those "I have no idea what I'm doing" kind of meltdowns as opposed to having witnessed something upsetting. I'm not a doctor or anything.

LEMtheoriginal Wed 23-May-18 18:54:05

We have a designated crying chair at work! My job can be quite emotionally challenging. I am struggling with mental health issues - I last cried at work last week - full meltdown.

amusedbush Wed 23-May-18 18:55:37

I have ASD so have personal meltdowns frequently blush

At work I've cried twice in my current job (been here two years).

I've had two previous jobs where I would cry in the toilets very often and I moved on because it wasn't worth the damage to my MH. One I cried over the stress of the job, the other because my manager was so, so awful and nasty.

insancerre Wed 23-May-18 18:56:16

Never
I don't really do crying

isthistoonosy Wed 23-May-18 18:56:44

In 20 years over a variety of jobs I've cried twice, once because I was seven weeks pregnant and started bleeding, second O was 8.5 months preg and been asked to stay on site another day but was to tired/emotional. Both times in private though.
Can you talk to a collegue or supervisor about your role and work load?

Whyohwhy65 Wed 23-May-18 18:57:09

Once a week. But I care for elderly people and see some awful things

TERFousBreakdown Wed 23-May-18 18:57:36

Every day for the first three months in my graduate job. Secretly in the ladies. I'm in tech, so I had the luxury of what was basically a private loo at work (though being the first woman there in five years was a big contributor to me crying in the first place).

Since then: twice - both times out of anger. I cry uncontrollably when really raging. I hate it because it makes people take me a lot less seriously. And, seeing as I'm quite laid back in general, I really need them to on the few occasions I get really pissed off.

PhilODox Wed 23-May-18 18:58:00

Once in my whole life, when I was having a miscarriage.
If I was a palliative care nurse or paediatrician it might be a different matter though.

halfwitpicker Wed 23-May-18 18:58:43

Never.

Tisfortired Wed 23-May-18 18:59:39

I've been at my job for 3 years and recall crying at work 3 times. An annual teary episode must be about average?!

To be fair - all three occasions were quite traumatic, it is so difficult to receive bad news at work I think.

Wellthisunexpected Wed 23-May-18 19:00:37

In 12 years of working I've cried once at work because of work.

3 times in 3 months? Unless you have an unusually emotional job, is just not right. You need to get some professional help. It doesn't sound like you are coping.

I'm a social worker, I see some pretty awful things.

VioletCharlotte Wed 23-May-18 19:02:40

Only once (when DS ballsed up his exams!)

Everyone has the odd occasion where it all gets too much, but people who cry regularly at work do my head in. I had one team member who used to burst into tears about once a week. And not even about anything that devastating.

dragonwarrior Wed 23-May-18 19:02:57

Once in my working life have I cried at work and it been sort of work related but actually other things were happening in my life at the time.
Twice in my working life I have found out at work that a relative has died and have instantly burst into tears.

I think really you ought to look for another job if you are crying at work monthly.

Thisnamechanger Wed 23-May-18 19:04:03

Can you talk to a collegue or supervisor about your role and work load?

That's the problem...my official line manager is a director of the company and he's so crazy busy I've only had two meetings with him since they made me a manager a year ago.

There was this amazing guy who was a sort of stop gap between the directors and the staff and I saw him at least once a fortnight for an hour and he helped me so much and had been helping me with loads of finance things that I'm no good at. Anyway they sacked him totally out the blue a month ago. No warning at all, desk clear before I could even say goodbye. Feel completely lost and confused.

I'm not very good at Maths and the sales reporting at work is really confusing anyway and I stared at so many spreadsheets today I just cried out of here frustration. I don't want to unnerve my team though so I have to leg it before I blub in front of them angry

Flupi Wed 23-May-18 19:04:43

What happens at work to make you cry?
I rarely cry at work, just when I thought I was having a miscarriage- totally lost it, and when my dog died, but nothing work related. I think if you are crying because of work issues you should try to tackle it in some way, because work shouldn’t ordinarily cause tears.

ToManderleyAgain Wed 23-May-18 19:04:50

Never, although I’ve felt like crying sometimes during very stressful periods. I keep running kit at work in case I need to work some stress/frustration out during a lunch break. I might have actually cried if I didn’t have a supportive boss though.

Thisnamechanger Wed 23-May-18 19:07:55

I keep running kit at work in case I need to work some stress/frustration out during a lunch break

That's a really good idea, thanks. I'm going to steal that.

Wellthisunexpected Wed 23-May-18 19:08:16

Are you an emotional person? Do you cry much in your personal life or at films/ TV/ music?

ToManderleyAgain Wed 23-May-18 19:08:35

I think you owe it to yourself and your team to seek some better support in your role. Is there anyone who could offer you support as a mentor, if not as a manager?

VioletCharlotte Wed 23-May-18 19:10:05

@Thisnamechanger
It sounds like you don't have any regular 121's with your line manager then? I think you should speak to him and say you feel you have a few development needs and would benefit from regular (at least monthly) meetings with him, and get them in his diary! No matter how busy he is, he should be making time for his direct reports - as if you're not performing, it'll impact on him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: