Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Things you'd never buy a FTM now you're a mum

(68 Posts)
NevermindMyMind Wed 23-May-18 11:31:40

My one is baby journals. You never have time, they sit on the shelf and make you feel guilty every time you see it. My friend admitted that she never uses hers and a relative's one is patchy, it read like she tried to fill it in whenever she had time, so much so she had 3 more kids by the time some sections were done! Although I do agree they are nice to look back on.

What are yours?

CuppaSarah Wed 23-May-18 11:43:43

Fiddly clothing. There's nothing worse than buttoning up tiny little buttons in awkward places while sleep deprived and panicking you're going to break the baby.

Any clothes I buy for babies now are simple to put on!

Ohcomeonn Wed 23-May-18 11:45:38

A friend bought me espadrilles for my newborn baby. Once she had dcs she text to say sorry for the present because they were obviously pointless(!)

QuercusQuercus Wed 23-May-18 12:50:48

Dresses for crawling-age babies. They stop them moving and the skirt gets used as a spitty chewing rag.

When we were child-free we bought my sister a linen button-up playsuit for her baby daughter. Linen! Button-up! I'm so sorry, DSis.

user1498549192 Wed 23-May-18 12:51:58

A Moses basket. My God, what is the point?! I have never met a baby who will sleep in one.

minipie Wed 23-May-18 12:53:59

Cuddly toy. Babies have no interest in them until 1yr plus, and often not even then.

White clothing or blanket.

Believeitornot Wed 23-May-18 12:56:33

Hand/ feet moulds. I was too sleep deprived for such nonsense with DS

A changing bag. A good old rucksack did the job.

Dobbythesockelf Wed 23-May-18 13:03:13

Anything with buttons. Nothing worse than trying to dress a newborn in something with fiddly buttons. Tbh I either buy my friends a box with little things like wipes, nappy cream, nipple cream etc and a few nice things for mum. Or I got my friend a voucher for a food delivery. You get inundated with baby stuff and I think something to make mum and dad's lives easier is a nicer thing.

Wait4nothing Wed 23-May-18 13:04:45

2nd clothes that button up at the back (when sorting through newborn-3 month clothes these were the first to go in the charity bag). I also don’t rate over the head sleepsuits (Especially in tiny sizes) so why do loads of multipacks include 1 of them!

SoyDora Wed 23-May-18 13:06:38

A Moses basket. My God, what is the point?! I have never met a baby who will sleep in one

Mine slept in hers until she was 6 months old and I had to try and wean her off it before finally going cold turkey (I actually cut it up so I couldn’t resort to putting her back in it in the middle of the night when she wouldn’t settle anywhere else!)

IAmMatty Wed 23-May-18 13:07:53

Basically anything for the baby.

FTMs get, from me, a bag of stuff for them; magazine, hand cream, bath bomb, nice coffee, biscuits, take away voucher, etc.

Everyone gives the baby a ton of stuff and they don't use half of it. Meanwhile, I've got an 8 and a 6 year old and I'm still wearing clothes that i bought only because they're on sale. From Tesco!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 23-May-18 13:09:07

A cashmere, non-washable, pram blanket.

Yep, that lasted at least 25 mins before DS sicked up on it.

LRDtheFeministDragon Wed 23-May-18 13:10:59

- Noisy/large toys. My MIL is fond of these - especially ones that 'educate' by chanting the alphabet or whatever. Obviously, if you're not keen, it is because you are a bad mother who actively wants her child to remain illiterate forever.

I think it's really hard to generalise about clothes, though. I had a narrow, wriggly baby and at one point buttons were useful because they're harder to wriggle out of than poppers.

SoyDora Wed 23-May-18 13:15:48

Baby shoes

TimesNewRoman Wed 23-May-18 13:19:03

I never used to think about the type of clothing I was buying in future sizes.
Some people bought me (for example) size 6-9 months summer clothes for a baby born in April.
Now I always calculate it out (this sounds so stupid written down)

RedSkyAtNight Wed 23-May-18 13:28:04

A Moses basket. My God, what is the point?! I have never met a baby who will sleep in one.

DS wouldn't sleep in anything else. We crammed him into it when he was really too big to fit, because he otherwise screamed and screamed.

jeanne16 Wed 23-May-18 13:29:36

Dungarees for toddlers that are being potty trained!

Maryann1975 Wed 23-May-18 13:31:34

timesnewroman definitely not stupid! There is no point giving shorts and tshirt sets to wear in January or lined trousers and thick jumpers to wear in July!

EssentialHummus Wed 23-May-18 13:32:27

Another one for fiddly outfits (=anything other than sleepsuits until the baby is nearing six months).

A good friend is due soon and I plan to buy her a selection of Gap zippy sleepsuits, a Lamaze toy, a hooded towel and then just loads of COOK vouchers!

Fink Wed 23-May-18 13:32:42

Any clothes for young babies. Before dc I thought that e.g. 0-3 months clothes would fit all (except possibly off-the-chart small or big) babies aged 0-3 months. Then I discovered that there are huge differences between retailers, as with adult clothes, and that, guess what, there is quite a range of normal sizes for babies aged 0-3 months! I had so many newborn clothes for dd that she never wore because when she was born she was in 'tiny newborn' and by the time she fit into 'newborn' the seasons had changed and they were unsuitable in the weather.

PlumsInTheIcebox Wed 23-May-18 13:33:45

Flowers. They're just another thing that needs taking care of when you're already totally overwhelmed with this tiny screaming human.

Baby clothing without a bit of forward planning - we were very grateful to receive lots of 3-6mth things, but DD was a summer baby and by the time they fitted it was November. Loads of beautiful summery dresses and rompers which went unworn and were eventually passed on.

ISpeakJive Wed 23-May-18 13:35:55

*I never used to think about the type of clothing I was buying in future sizes.
Some people bought me (for example) size 6-9 months summer clothes for a baby born in April.
Now I always calculate it out (this sounds so stupid written down)*

Nope, not stupid at all, Times. I do exactly the same!

allforequality Wed 23-May-18 13:36:26

My first slept in his Moses basket so long we actually cut the end off whilst we tried to get him used to his cot! Second one slept in one too & loved it (also v.handy when you are visiting friends & family as better for their backs than a car seat for sleeping in during the day & you can do overnights without a travel cot, love them!).

I always get stuff for Mums or baby books, occasionally cute Scandi clothes (size and season appropriate- my first went straight into 3-6 months so all clothes smaller than that were useless!).

Definitely not baby shoes though.

Jozxyqk Wed 23-May-18 13:38:38

Cuddly toys with non-removable electric components.
Ditto clothing - we were given a hat for DD that sings a song from the Trolls film. It's completely unwashable, can't even cut the electrics out for an occasional wash due to how it's made. I'm not doing that much sewing for blasted hat! Unfortunately, DD loves it.

user1498549192 Wed 23-May-18 13:38:52

SoyDora and RedSky I stand corrected grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: