Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you teach your 7 year old division at home?

(23 Posts)
BastardGoDarkly Wed 23-May-18 09:35:28

Just that really. We have the 'hit the button' maths app. Just wondered other ways people practice.

Flippetydip Wed 23-May-18 09:37:19

Blimey -that's keen. We don't at all practice division at home but I guess if we were going to I'd get a pile of visible, tangible things (dried beans?) and split them into equal piles. Once you have it visually, it's easier to get it mentally.

bigKiteFlying Wed 23-May-18 09:38:41

mathsfactor - division and lots more - but DC had some particularly poor primary school maths teaching.

EB123 Wed 23-May-18 09:39:04

Smarties or maths cubes. Bake a cake or make a pizza and divide it into x amount of pieces.

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 23-May-18 09:45:44

Explain that division means sharing equally. We used smarties and let my DC eat some afterwards. Another method is to use lines to make different sections and put a dot in each section...It's hard to describe, but to divide 20 by 4, draw two lines that cross to form an X, so you have four sections, and work your way around the X putting one dot in each section until you end up with five dots in each section, IYSWIM.

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 23-May-18 09:48:05

Like this

BastardGoDarkly Wed 23-May-18 09:49:03

Thank you. We have been doing the circles with dots in, she's worried she can't easily do it in her head though confused

Oddish Wed 23-May-18 09:49:57

Dividing sweets is a brilliant motivator, a pack of Millions is good for this, showing that half of ten is five but half of 100 is 50 for example.

Rkay2 Wed 23-May-18 09:52:24

Be careful with how you actually teach division. They taught different methods before and different methods now.

I'm a secondary school teacher and was helping my niece with division and looked at KS1 methods. Very different to my time! It takes time and practice. Try it yourself before teaching your little one.

There are YouTube videos and method sheets like this: www.thorners.dorset.sch.uk/maths/KS1_book.pdf

Get some practice books or sats papers online and use them.

If you want to help your Little one now that's great. Will stand them in good stead for later!
HTH

RebelRogue Wed 23-May-18 09:53:13

What year is she in? Can she do halves(dividing by 2 ) in her head? What about smaller numbers?
Not a lot of children can do it in their head and most of them use various methods..sharing hoops,splitting the number up etc. Good knowledge of times tables and understanding fact families/division is the inverse of timesing help with mental maths. But pen and paper methods are great as well,and sometimes more reliable.

Annwithnoe Wed 23-May-18 09:58:14

Doing it easily in her head is a byproduct of learning off the tables.

BastardGoDarkly Wed 23-May-18 10:03:23

Ah, you're all brilliant, thank you flowers

She's not great at times tables either, we have practice strips, and she completes them correctly, but takes time, and again, isn't good in her head.

Do people still chant times tables with their kids?

Just like to say, I'm not pushing her, this is all coming from Lilly, a whizz at maths and dds best friend wink

ICantCopeAnymore Wed 23-May-18 10:05:58

I'm a Primary teacher. In Year 2, which I assume she is, we usually teach with grouping at this age. Lots of practical work with Numicon, buttons, sweets, stones, anything you can get your hands on.

Also lots of hitting home that the = sign means same as, so reversing the divisions into a multiplication, so they can see the relationship between the numbers.

Every morning, we use the date to do some class number stories, so I'll ask the date and we'll go from there (also useful for introducing Prime numbers!)

Yesterday was the 22nd May, so I'd ask what goes into 22 and they'd suggest 2 or 11. Then I'd choose one of them and we'd work out the number sentence, like 22 ÷ 11 = 2, then the other sentence so 11 x 2 = 22. I might use pupils to show this.

Then we do a number story, so they'd say "I had 22 sweets, I shared them between 11 friends and everyone ended up with 2".

They love it and it works very well, so maybe do some things like this? Lots of reinforcement and table work.

BastardGoDarkly Wed 23-May-18 10:10:14

Yes, she is year 2. Thank you ICantCope That's really useful.

Can I ask you if you chant times tables in class? grin

BetterEatCheese Wed 23-May-18 10:13:01

Counting into fish ponds

RebelRogue Wed 23-May-18 10:13:15

@BastardGoDarkly if it was my kid I'd start it all over with the times tables,one by one until she is confident in each. So start with 10s,2s,5s,3s,4s etc.

Very important with mental maths is to make connections as well.
So if you know 2x5=10, you also know 5x2=10 10/5=2 10/5=2.

A step forward is recognising that multiplication is repeated addition,so of for example you know by heart 2x5=10 then 3x5 will be 10 plus another five. (This is more helpful for higher times tables tbh)

Also have a look at times tables rockstars.
And radius of the lost arc(it's not just division,but several maths things that need mental maths and quite a fun game).

Tbh if she's doing well and making progress then just try to reassure her .

BertieBotts Wed 23-May-18 10:19:19

Some of those workbooks like you get in Smiths or supermarkets, DS liked those.

BastardGoDarkly Wed 23-May-18 10:21:21

Brilliant, thanks Rogue

At parents evening, they said she was doing OK, but needed to get her times tables solid, to help with her division, I took it to mean we should be doing little and often practice.

Fucking SATS have worried her too. angry

BastardGoDarkly Wed 23-May-18 10:22:36

Oh yes Bertie I haven't bought any for her, ds had some, I'll look out for some,;thanks.

EB123 Wed 23-May-18 10:49:12

You can pick workbooks up in Home Bargains, Wilko and Poundland.

bigKiteFlying Wed 23-May-18 11:10:47

Percy Parker CD

Songs on You Tube:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3U03MC-SfQ

These helped a bit - but mainly it's practise do lots and lots of sums for mine - so should come with in time.

ICantCopeAnymore Wed 23-May-18 11:50:46

We don't chant, but I do games and songs and lots of counting in 2s, 5s etc on a number line, so very similar to chanting.

howabout Wed 23-May-18 11:56:25

We used to do times tables every time we got in the car. Little and often and part of a routine. While dishing up at meal times is another slot we use for this, especially if we share a pack of sweets for afters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: